Ignoring other members

KuteNurse

Like comments accusing people of trying to deny their religious affiliation, and calling them liars, or trying to convince the world that certain religions are evil.

FALSH BACK, FLASH BACK, BAD ACID TRIP!:shok:

Yes exactly, there is no reason to be-little or put down others who have different believes or religions. Accept them for who they are and respect their differences. If it is upsetting, just pass it up and let it be. Everyone has a right to their believes.:) Afterall, everyone is here for entertainment, to enjoy social time with other belly dancers and to learn information about BDing.
It is supposed to be enjoyable to all.

sstacy123

A'isha, unfortunately I'm sure you're right about the belly dance world being fraught with negatives...

A'isha/Suheir, I'm not really suggesting trying to block all the bad out all the time...it is good to deal with it or not let it bother you at all but if it does begin to overwhelm you if you can block a little of it out till you're back feeling better, what is the harm in that?

Salome

Administrator
I think the ignore feature is an excellent feature. Sometimes people get to a point where they just do not want to deal with another person anymore. I know people have left the forum because of conflict with others. With the ignore feature it let's people not get sucked into escalating confrontation by simply not showing that person's post. Only on the internet, right? Can you imagine being able to 'mute' your boss or roomate's boyfriend etc. LOL.

Zurah

Can you imagine being able to 'mute' your boss or roomate's boyfriend etc. LOL.

Heh heh... what I want is a real life 'Ignore' feature that does just that :lol:

I've never used the forum's 'Ignore' feature and I don't think I would if I could use it. Usually if there's a part that doesn't interest me in a thread I'm reading, I merely scan that part.

Aniseteph

...it is good to deal with it or not let it bother you at all but if it does begin to overwhelm you if you can block a little of it out till you're back feeling better, what is the harm in that?

I don't think I'd use the ignore thing because I'm TOO NOSEY :D . But I can see it being a useful tool if you have the discipline to use it, when you are heading for forum overload and keep getting drawn into discussions rather than do the ironing, hem that skirt that has been waiting for weeks, vacuum a bit, go to bed on time etc etc etc... :rolleyes:

Aisha Azar

Ignore, etc

Dear Salome,
Samirah Shuruk once tried to palm off on me that someone left the forum because of one of my posts. My immediate thought was, boy, talk about not taking responsibility for one's own actions!! Blame it on the other guy if you get too mad to deal with something that you merely read on a forum, I guess. I consider it to be just plain silliness if a person would leave a forum becasue of anyone else's posts.
Regards,
A'isha

sstacy123

Call me silly then, I've left one forum in the past because I was so apalled at the conversation that was going on...it's been some years but I still remember what the conversation was about...

belly_dancer

hehehehe!!!
mute 'em ALL (boyfriends, HUSBANDS....(have one of those... right NOW, I am in LUV!!!!!... but who knows tomorrow.... the ONLY thing (besides our living gene pool!! ) that has kept us together has been my (recently developed) ability to IGNORE verbal sewage!!!!)
but yeah... I am too nosey too!!!
so no mut-ations on line for me!!!
I LOVE to hear others points of view...
EVEN IF I argue insessantly for my own!!!!!
keep up the good fight girls!!! (ok.... women! & the occasional man!!!)

Aisha Azar

Ignore

Dear Stacy,
Isn't that rather cutting off your nose to spite your face? Because one person's (or one thread's) posts upset you, you cut yourself off from a whole world of other, really great posts? I probably am the recipient of some really nasty posts, more than just about anyone else on this forum, because of some of my very clear cut statements about dance. If I let that get me down to the point of feeling like I want to leave the forum, there is much that I will not learn, because the forum has members who have so much to contribute to my knowledge. My skin is no thicker than anyone else's, but I have learned that if I cut myself off from my fellow dancers just because we don't agree on some issues, the only person I hurt is me.
Regards,
A'isha

Call me silly then, I've left one forum in the past because I was so apalled at the conversation that was going on...it's been some years but I still remember what the conversation was about...

Last edited:

sstacy123

well to my best recollection it was a weight loss board and you know there are no shortage of those...There wasn't really people on there I considered friends so I didn't consider it a great loss to find another board.

I'm sure that not everybody felt the way those that were posting felt but I just had no desire to have any kind of communications with people like that.

Last edited:

charity

Yes exactly, there is no reason to be-little or put down others who have different believes or religions. Accept them for who they are and respect their differences. If it is upsetting, just pass it up and let it be. Everyone has a right to their believes.:) Afterall, everyone is here for entertainment, to enjoy social time with other belly dancers and to learn information about BDing.
It is supposed to be enjoyable to all.

why one would want to use a bd forum to belittle another is beyond me. :shok: this is a reason for people to talk and discuss bd, not to promote one's beliefs over another. besides how arrogant is that to think we give a shit what they believe.:rolleyes:

but on another note i can think of a lot of reasons to belittle someone:)

Aisha Azar

Ignoring, etc.

Dear Charity,
I have a question. Why do you belong to a forum if you do not "give a shit" what other people believe? I care very much what dancers with experience and knowledge in their field believe. I also care very much when young dancers are led to believe things that are simply not true.
Regards,
A'isha

charity

Dear Charity,
I have a question. Why do you belong to a forum if you do not "give a shit" what other people believe? I care very much what dancers with experience and knowledge in their field believe. I also care very much when young dancers are led to believe things that are simply not true.
Regards,
A'isha

when it comes to bd i do care what everyone here thinks. i joined the bd forum for that guidance. and though right now i feel like i'm in a verbal volley with a few, its not what i inteded.

the discussion was in regards to people who feel the need to come onto this forum and belittle people. the quote i used above, said everyone is entitled to an opinion. and yes this is true even for the bullies. and though i am here for the bd, i could care less in regards to what people think on personal issues. they can say what they want, it doesnt mean i will care what they believe because they do not know me.

as far as the dance, yes i know i have MUCH to learn, i've just begun.

da Sage

Dear Charity,
Regards,
A'isha

Dear A'isha,

This forum is full of dancers with experience and knowledge in their field...and also newbies and the occasional bellydance fan. Not every forum is like this one. Some forums are mostly newbies and fans.

Some forums are full of people who only want to amuse themselves, not educate themselves and others. Other participants think their points are best made with teeth and claws.

I personally belong to many forums, on a variety of subjects. I've also withdrawn from many forums, even ones populated by knowledgable, experienced members, because of time concerns, discussion content, and member attitudes. Why spend time in a forum if you don't enjoy it? That time may be better spent in another forum...or *horrors* offline.
:shok:

Aisha Azar

Ignore

Dear Da Sage and Charity,
Aaaahhh, that's true, there are many forums where people might not be so nice as they generally are here, (even in spite of the occasional spat!).
I used to belong to many more and was even kicked off of one once, for arguing with the owner! I was in good company as Leyla Lanty, Jeanette Cool, Linda Mahboula and a few others were also ousted. We actually considered it an honor!!
I now belong to just two forums and that is plenty if thre are enough contributors who are thinking people that care about the dance.
Regards,
A'isha