Ignoring other members

Salome

Administrator
Greetings,

Anatoliy and I thought we would bring up a feature that everyone might not know about and that is an "Ignore" feature. If you go to your User CP, and scroll down to the category "Miscellaneous" on the left hand side navigation you will see a buddy/ignore lists link. Click that and you can add a member to your ignore list. That's the second field on that page not the first. Now, when you are reading threads and when the person in your ignore list posts it says "This message is hidden because so and so is on your ignore list."

Moderators cannot use this feature and it will not allow members to "ignore" a moderator or admin.

Suheir

It's a pretty common message board feature but it's easy enough to just scroll past messages you're not interested in reading. I can see the value of the ignore button in chat rooms though!

KuteNurse

Some folks just do not want to read the posts of others... This feature allows that to happen.

I guess I can understand others not wanting to read other's posts, however, I love reading other's posts...As long as they are respectful and kind to others...:)

KuteNurse

I got carried away with the "others" lol, now "OTHERS" may choose to ignore me! Or, maybe OTHERS will choose to read my posts about OTHERS...OK, enough about the others...lol

sedoniaraqs

I guess I can understand others not wanting to read other's posts, however, I love reading other's posts...As long as they are respectful and kind to others...:)

I guess the problem is that some people define respectful and kind differently. Some people think that expressing an opinion different from their own is mean and oppressive.

Sedonia

Shanazel

It is just as well moderators can't use the feature- it would never work for me anyway. Curiosity would get me every time.

KuteNurse

I guess the problem is that some people define respectful and kind differently. Some people think that expressing an opinion different from their own is mean and oppressive.

Sedonia

Yes...You are right! People have different perspectives and ideas on issues. That is the beauty of the world we live in. However, Intelligent people listen to other's perspectives and respect their ideas, although they may not agree with what that person said. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

chryssanthi sahar

Yes...You are right! People have different perspectives and ideas on issues. That is the beauty of the world we live in. However, Intelligent people listen to other's perspectives and respect their ideas, although they may not agree with what that person said. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

I agree:clap:
By the way, is it really necessary to put this "ignore" feature? Well, if I don't find a posting interesting, I just don't read it (to the end), that's all. I can see the use of "ignore" in a chat room, but in the forum? IMO it makes sense only as about private messages (if you don't want to get private messages from certain members)

Moon

I think maybe it's harder to understand an ongoing conversation if you ignore certain members, because then you miss parts of the conversation :lol:
Anyway, I never felt a desire to ignore members yet. I hope others don't want to ignore me! Then all my posts would be a waste of time! ;)

KuteNurse

I agree:clap:
By the way, is it really necessary to put this "ignore" feature? Well, if I don't find a posting interesting, I just don't read it (to the end), that's all. I can see the use of "ignore" in a chat room, but in the forum? IMO it makes sense only as about private messages (if you don't want to get private messages from certain members)

Ditto! If it doesn't look interesting, I just pass it right up...Why let things people post upset you unless it is just mean or cruel.

Tarik Sultan

Ditto! If it doesn't look interesting, I just pass it right up...Why let things people post upset you unless it is just mean or cruel.

Like comments accusing people of trying to deny their religious affiliation, and calling them liars, or trying to convince the world that certain religions are evil.

FALSH BACK, FLASH BACK, BAD ACID TRIP!:shok:

da Sage

There are some people who are just so mindnumbingly infuriating in their self-absorbtion :rolleyes: or bigotry :mad:, that it's easier just to block their posts.

Luckily, no one who pushes my buttons that badly posts to this forum.:cool:

sstacy123

Well I think it could be useful...some of you may have read my posts where I was talking about some of the negative feelings and wanting bellydance to be positive so I had considered taking a break from the board...although I'm too obessed to do that so I decided not to...then I thought I might just be more choosey about which topics I read...although so far I still haven't done that (unless it looks boring)...if I ever felt someone was being too negative I might would use the feature...right now I don't think I need to though but I'm glad it is there just in case...

Tarik I still have flashbacks of that too!

Aisha Azar

Ignoring

Dear Group,
A'isha Azar, Closet Muslimah here!!! We have beliefs somewhere between Sunni and Shi'a but we don't let anyone know about them!! Sometimes a liar is one of the NICER things that I am called!!!
I am not in the habit of ignoring certain people, but will instead ignore topics that are not of interest. I feel rather like Cryssanthi does. If the writer upsets me, I can always not read. Even.... uuummmm, personages, like Bin Ro can say what they want as far as I am concerned. The only topics I feel that I need to read for sure are those in the forum where I am moderator. I am happy, however, that we have moderators that step in when they think things are getting abusive.

Dear Stacy,
I hate to say it and I hope that you do not take this as negative, but the world of bellydance is fraught with all kinds of negatives. Best to learn to deal with it becasue it is going to happen continually. This is not a world of love and light. You can only control what YOU are going to do and say; not what anyone else will do. There is a lot of disagreement, back biting, back stabbing, etc. I have learned to realize that the dance and the people in the dance are two separate things. I am truly fortunate to have some really wonderful friends in the dance.... but I have also had a lot of negative stuff, too. You learn that the good outweighs the bad, but you also can not ingore the bad or it will come back to bite you.
Regards,
A'isha

Like comments accusing people of trying to deny their religious affiliation, and calling them liars, or trying to convince the world that certain religions are evil.

FALSH BACK, FLASH BACK, BAD ACID TRIP!:shok:

Last edited:

Suheir

I agree with you, A'isha, about discussing the negatives - I think it is more damaging to pretend everything's hunky dory in the fluffy world of sequins and ignore the rest!

Tarik Sultan

I agree with you, A'isha, about discussing the negatives - I think it is more damaging to pretend everything's hunky dory in the fluffy world of sequins and ignore the rest!

WHEN SEQUINS ATTACK!
A NEW REALITY SERIES OF ACTUAL FOOTAGE STARING YOUR FAVORATE DANCE PERSONALITIES! COMING TO FOX IN JUNE!

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WHEN A PROFESSIONAL IS CONFRONTED BY AN UNDERCUTTER AT HER REGULAR GIG. WATCH AS EGOS ARE BRUISED AND TEMPERS FLAIR WHEN WANNA BE AUTHORITIES COME FACE TO FACE WITH TEACHERS WHO HAVE ACTUAL IN CULTURE EXPERIENCE.

YOU WONT WANT TO MISS AS THE CHIFFON FLIES AND SKIRTS ARE RIPPED IN

WHEN SEQUINES ATTACK!

Aisha Azar

When Sequins attack

Dear Tarik,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was hilarious!

I was in a club one night when a brand spanking ( probably literally if I know anything about the owner!!) new dancer did the first show. The dancer who had been there for years was PISSED!! She did the second show and danced better than she had in years!! She had no warning. She just showed up to work and here was this lovely young thing who danced her heart out and the house dancer felt both threatened and angry. Frankly, though her dancing had been getting lazy, the owner could have at least warned her. It was handled very badly... and is very typical of what kinds of stuff does happen and all club dancers know.
Regards,
A'isha