Belly dancer's buttock removed

charity

Amazing! Eating less will cause someone to lose weight. :shok:
Of course I'm joking , weight loss isn't easy but it is acheivable. ;)

hormones and metabolism is another factor. and some people that dont lose significant weight by managing their eating habits, generally give up out of frustation.

people can alter hormones, metabolism, and attitude just by doing some exercise. a lot of people dont even do that right, exercising i mean. if you dont reach your THR/MHR, you arent exercising effectively.

though this is good for maintaining target weight and metabolism, its not good for LOSING weight. i see people running down this street everyday and after 3 months they plateau at losing weight because they arent stepping up their exercise regime. its a matter of breaking out of the comfort zone, and making up your mind to do it. people say thats not easy. in my opinion its just a cop out.

everyday people work jobs they dont like because it pays the bill. why not do something for yourself in the same manner? consider exercise just some part of the day that has to be done. like laundry, who likes that. you still do it.

da Sage

I think KuteNurse is right

I'm don't think this is true, Kute Nurse. Are you sure the doc wasn't just jerking your chain? I read a lot of medical records for my job as a legal assistant, and when a patient signs release papers for surgery, the papers state exactly what kind of procedures they have agreed to, that they have discussed any possible side effects, etc.

I'm not sure how legal it all is, but I read an article about how this exam on knocked-out patients was standard procedure in a teaching hospital:mad: , until a resident refused to participate. This was fairly recently, and it made me even more paranoid about going under.

KuteNurse

I'm not sure how legal it all is, but I read an article about how this exam on knocked-out patients was standard procedure in a teaching hospital:mad: , until a resident refused to participate. This was fairly recently, and it made me even more paranoid about going under.

Thanks da Sage...It is true...It is hard to believe it could happen but it does. Once you sign the papers...and female exams have occured. In my opinion it is a total violation to the woman, but nonetheless, it occurs.

da Sage

Here is the article supporting Kute Nurse's story

CNN.com - Pelvic exams on unconscious women? More hospitals say no - Mar. 11, 2003

Here's an article saying that 90% of residents surveyed in 1995 had done a pelvic exam on an unconscious patient, and only 17% felt that it was important to get the patient's consent first.

Report Calls Attention to 'Educational' Pelvic Exams Performed On Unconscious Patients

"Hospitals defend the decades-old practice, the Wall Street Journal recently reported, because patients sign a form allowing "individuals selected and deemed qualified" to perform "services." "

As a woman, feminist, and health-care consumer, I am violently opposed to the practice, and the attitude that has allowed it to persist.

Last edited:

KuteNurse

CNN.com - Pelvic exams on unconscious women? More hospitals say no - Mar. 11, 2003

Here's an article saying that 90% of residents surveyed in 1995 had done a pelvic exam on an unconscious patient, and only 17% felt that it was important to get the patient's consent first.

Report Calls Attention to 'Educational' Pelvic Exams Performed On Unconscious Patients

"Hospitals defend the decades-old practice, the Wall Street Journal recently reported, because patients sign a form allowing "individuals selected and deemed qualified" to perform "services." "

As a woman, feminist, and health-care consumer, I am violently opposed to the practice, and the attitude that has allowed it to persist.

It is pretty unbelieveable that residents do not even feel it is a violation to do a pelvic while the patient is unconscious! If I fould out I had one while unconscious, I would file a police department for rape!

da Sage

It is pretty unbelieveable that residents do not even feel it is a violation to do a pelvic while the patient is unconscious! If I fould out I had one while unconscious, I would file a police department for rape!

I feel exactly the same way. If it wasn't wrong, why wouldn't they just ask permission first? And why are pelvic exams treated with so much more secrecy than other procedures? They wouldn't stick an unconscious patient into the MRI machine "for training purposes" because it's "ideal to examine them in a completely relaxed state". Pelvic exams are a *much* bigger deal. :mad: :mad:

And I would be torn between filing criminal reports on the individuals involved, and bringing a civil suit against the institution that encouraged the practice. I would definitely do something, though.

Aniseteph

In the good ol' (dare I say more patriarchal?) days I think it WAS the way they tended to learn. They wouldn't have asked for consent because they felt it was an OK thing to do in the name of training. The patient wouldn't know, doctor knows best, how else are they supposed to learn, we've always done it that way etc etc etc blah blah blah... and the patients' opinions were not deemed worthy of consideration.

(Q. What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A. God doesn't think he's a surgeon)

Fortunately the times they are a changin', and nowadays the patient is increasingly recognised to be a human being whose opinion on his/her treatment IS relevant. :shok:

I would have thought in the States anyone not getting appropriate consent increasingly risks someone blowing the whistle on them and having their sorry ass sued right off. In the UK they have guidelines (well it's a start...) saying this sort of thing is unacceptable. If they don't have consent it's assault. Though to be on the safe(r) side I think I'll be checking the small print if I ever have to have a general anaesthetic in a teaching hospital. :naghty:

PS. medical students over here ARE increasingly unhappy about being asked to do this sort of thing. I can give you a reference if you like!

Atalanta

My husband has worked with 2 people who've undergone those procedures and one completely gained it back and the other's is creeping back up there.

If you watch Discovery Health then you should check out a show called "I Lost It". It's people telling stories about how they lost alot of weight. One woman was going to get a gastric bypass and decided to practice eating the way she would have to after surgery. Guess what, she lost so much weight she didn't need surgery. Amazing! Eating less will cause someone to lose weight. :shok:
Of course I'm joking , weight loss isn't easy but it is acheivable. ;)

That's why I figured that I'm gonna have to do it the "hard way" to make it stick. I work out at least 2 days a week and when I found out that there were belly dancing classes in the same building, I managed to add (now two days) a week there. For me, low carb seems to work best as a meal plan.

Shanazel

its a matter of breaking out of the comfort zone, and making up your mind to do it. people say thats not easy. in my opinion its just a cop out.

When you have spent forty years fighting a weight problem and have lost and gained a couple thousand pounds, you can come back and talk about cop outs and I might listen to you. In the meantime, look around and see how many overweight people excel in other areas of life and ask yourself if their struggle with weight issues really is just a matter of comfort zone related copping out.

chryssanthi sahar

When you have spent forty years fighting a weight problem and have lost and gained a couple thousand pounds, you can come back and talk about cop outs and I might listen to you. In the meantime, look around and see how many overweight people excel in other areas of life and ask yourself if their struggle with weight issues really is just a matter of comfort zone related copping out.

I agree Shanazel. The fact is, that when you are over a certain age, loosing weight becomes very very difficult, if not impossible. The other fact is, that there are different body types. Some of them tend to loose weight quickly, others very very slowly. It doesn't make sense to violate your body and try to bring it in a shape that just doesn't match with your body type.
I have gained weight since my teenage time, although I exercise permanently, since I am a professional dancer and instructor, but this is normal for my body type. So what I try to do now, is to keep my weight constant and not gaining more weight, rather than loosing weight. If I would violate my body and loose weight, it wouldn't take long and I would have it back again. My body just doesn't like to be light:lol: And honestly, I feel very comfortable with my body:D

charity

i dont believe anything i said implied that overweight people were failures in regards to other areas of their life.

if you lost weight once, you can maintain it. but the fact that people lose and regain sounds like they resumed bad habits all over again.

i understand that with being married and having children and a full time job, losing weight is just one more responsibility that does not take priority.

but i did also mention that there were other factors in losing weight, hormones, metabolism, and other things i may not be aware of. these are medical conditions that make it difficult if not impossible to lose weight.

i dont know figures and i'm not health expert but i believe that fitness and bad eating habits are the more likely causes for people being over-weight.

for me, i do struggle with my weight, but opposite of most. i can only keep weight on by staying active. i spent 4 years running 14 miles a week, at least, every other morning and when i wasnt running i was doing muscle failure or martial arts. that was just my morning.

oh and i've only got 32 years under my belt.

i'm sorry if you took that to heart, i do know its very hard but i do believe there is a certain amount of responsiblity that we all must take for our health and current conditions.

Shanazel

I didn't say you implied overweight people were failures in other areas of their lives. Read it again. And I did take it to heart. I wouldn't dream of making comments on the problems of keeping weight on, because I know nothing about that. But I know one hell of a lot about taking it off and trying to keep it off, and I am sick to death of people smugly assuming that a few rare disorders aside, simply cowboying up will result in permanent weight loss.

You don't know how hard something is until you've been there, and I have been there longer than you've been alive. Whether you intend it or not, your comments are condescending and insulting.

charity

I didn't say you implied overweight people were failures in other areas of their lives. Read it again. And I did take it to heart. I wouldn't dream of making comments on the problems of keeping weight on, because I know nothing about that. But I know one hell of a lot about taking it off and trying to keep it off, and I am sick to death of people smugly assuming that a few rare disorders aside, simply cowboying up will result in permanent weight loss.

You don't know how hard something is until you've been there, and I have been there longer than you've been alive. Whether you intend it or not, your comments are condescending and insulting.

shanazel i apologize. you're right i dont understand.

there are problems i have never dealt with such as depression and weight gain, i assumed that i had found a proper way to keep them at bay. i am sorry if my tone is condescending or smug.

i just finished a thread saying i do not care what others think. but i do care if i may have offended or insulted someone because it was not my desire to do so.

Shanazel

Thank you, my dear, and I apologize for losing my temper. You'd think I'd have a better hold on it by now. All is forgiven- friends again? Shanazel