I think I finally get it (performance wise)

Mouse

I had one of those "AHA!" moments where suddenly a few things come together and things just click into place during a performance on the weekend. Normally when I perform, I look at the audience without really seeing them and I simply scan a sea of faces without actually focusing on them. This time I really looked. I made eye contact and when I smiled - they smiled back, and the whole energy and dynamic of the performance seemed to change. I had audience interaction and I loved it! Rather than being my usual mouse, I was suddenly this confident, enthusiastic, energetic dancer who was in control of the situation. It was quite a powerful feeling. Some members of the audience came up to me afterwards and told me how much they enjoyed my dancing (which has never happened before) and one of my dance sisters told me that she noticed a dramatic difference in my dancing.
Another difference I noticed was my perceptions afterwards. Instead of thinking "Yay I did it!" I was thinking "I want to do that again!!!"

:dance:

belly_dancer

I remember those days (people come up.... days later... ohhhh I saw you dancing at.... (where-ever).... & you're like... yeah... right??!???) isn;t it fun to be PRESENT yet STILL in the "zone" or whatever/wherever place we "go"!!
I see a long illustrious career ahead for the performer formerly known as "mouse"!!!!

Congratulations Mouse!!! No matter how many times it is explained, once that AHA! moment occurs, it becomes a lesson of experience. This is what separates amateurs from professionals. Enjoy yourself.
Deb

Kharmine

That really is the essence of this dance, isn't it? You can always dance for yourself, but a performance is actually quite communal.

Suhad

Congratulations!!!

I got it too a few months ago when I realized that if I'm not dancing for me first, I can't dance for anyone else.

Isn't it an awesome and amazing feeling?

Mouse

Thank you to everyone for your comments. It's fantastic to be able to come onto this forum and share my experience and have you all know exactly what I am talking about.

It's certainly opened my eyes to a whole new dimension that I wasn't aware existed and it's something that I definitely think I will remember as a turning point in my dancing.

Moon

Wow, congratulations!!!! :yay:

I hope I'll be able to do that too with my performance, though I think it's frightening :redface:

Yshka

Congratulations Mouse! That is great! I know exactly what that feels like.

I had this transition a while ago too! 1,5 years ago when I was dancing at a fair for a travelling agency, something weird happened. We danced for the first time right down on the floor in front of the audience instead of up on a stage. I'd always felt a stage was pretty safe because I wouldn't have to make eye contact lol, not being able to see anyone. That first time, I could see everyone from so close by, I got a terrible stomach ache that, during my solo, could be read from my face:shok: .
I felt like I messed up terribly. When a while after I performed solo at a hafla in town, I also danced for the audience, but this audience was so into dance and into my performance that I really connected with them. Since then I started to like dancing in front of people more than away on a stage. I now make it a game to try and get even the most dead of audiences to respond, it's fun and I love it. I get so much energy from interacting with the audience. It's a great learning process too.:)

Go and have fun Mouse, for this was IMO one of the best AHA moments we can have:lol: .

Aisha Azar

Performance, etc.

Dear Mouse,
Aren't dance epiphanies wonderful?? It does make a huge difference when you begin to dance FOR the audience rather than at them!! Congratulations and may the newfound connection to your audience be a boon to you in every circumstance!
Regards,
A'isha

Mouse

Hi Moon, Yshka and A'isha, thank you!

Dear Moon, I used to think the same thing, which is why I always just looked at the audience without actually seeing them. but last weekend I realized that its actually a whole lot less scary to interact with the audience. Having the audience smile back in response and seeing the smiles get bigger when you dance towards them was amazing.

Dear Yshka, I was always the opposite and preferred the floor over the stage. I think I was secretly afraid I would lose where I was on the stage and fall off it! :lol:

Dear A'isha, you are so right - it makes a huge difference! Its so amazing that one peformance could open my eyes and change my perceptions as much as the last one did.

speckie

wow, it's great to 'imagine' such a moment happens to me someday. I have very little experience performing, but I guess it's different for everyone, right? it's not just "look at their eyes" or "smile with them" can do. Am I right? For other dancers, is it the same key for everyone?