what is this she's doing?

charity

YouTube - Bellydance Class Choreography 2007

what shimmy is in the time between .59-1.05? its too fast for me to see how many bumps per step. i only thought you could do the 3/4 shimmy that fast.

oh my elusive shimmy, i think all my questions have pertained to shimmies. :rolleyes:

before long i will start using the word inappropriately, shimmy, shimmy, shimmy, shimmy this, shimmy that, shimmy you.:shok: oh boy.:confused:

;) ;)

Moon

I think that actually is a 3/4 shimmy, or Egyptian walk as I'm used to call it (or aren't those the same? :think:).
But I'm only dancing for about 1.5 years, so I could be entirely wrong.

Mouse

It looks like the 3/4 shimmy to me too.

Moon, in regards to the egyptian walk v's 3/4 shimmy, the way I have heard it referred to is that the egyptian walk is the base hip down walk without the shimmy over the top. With the shimmy it becomes the 3/4 shimmy or shimmy walk. I think this is probably another one of those regional/instructor definition differences though and wouldn't be surprised to find the same moves are called something completely different or the same names referring to completely different moves from instructor to instructor.

KuteNurse

Moon, I have also been watching her clips for the last few days...She is easy to follow and easy to learn from. Does anyone know who she is?

charity

Moon, I have also been watching her clips for the last few days...She is easy to follow and easy to learn from. Does anyone know who she is?

i love Cassiopeia. for me she has been an excellent source for belly dance moves. right now i am trying to learn the above choreography.

she has a 7 minute drum choreography, allegedly beginner level :shok: , but i am not there yet.

Marisha

I've been taught that that move is the "smimmy walk" or the Egyptian shimmy - must be a regional teacher thng. I like how relaxed she is and that she doesn't overdo the moves. She looks as if when she's dancing it's is the easiest thing in the world.

cassiopeia

Hi Charity,
The move that I am doing is a 3/4 shimmy. However... my students are instructed to do whatever shimmy they like best. So, if you are not comfortable executing a 3/4 shimmy, then do a different one.
It's all about reducing performance stress and having fun.
Have a great day,
Cassiopeia

KuteNurse

i love Cassiopeia. for me she has been an excellent source for belly dance moves. right now i am trying to learn the above choreography.

she has a 7 minute drum choreography, allegedly beginner level :shok: , but i am not there yet.

Thanks Mouse and Charity! She is great to learn from! Funny how you can learn these moves over the internet...Just think, 10 years ago, one could not learn belly dancing this easily...Even by DVD's! Technology is amazing!

Aniseteph

Hi Charity,
The move that I am doing is a 3/4 shimmy. However... my students are instructed to do whatever shimmy they like best. So, if you are not comfortable executing a 3/4 shimmy, then do a different one.
It's all about reducing performance stress and having fun.
Have a great day,
Cassiopeia

Yay - Cassiopeia! I love your clips, especially all those lovely controlled shimmies... wish I could de-stress about them but nothing I do seems to make it any easier. :mad: Egyptian walk? no probs. Shimmying over a horizontal figure 8? In my dreams...

belly_dancer

Yay - Cassiopeia! I love your clips, especially all those lovely controlled shimmies... wish I could de-stress about them but nothing I do seems to make it any easier. :mad: Egyptian walk? no probs. Shimmying over a horizontal figure 8? In my dreams...

was just teaching this today... the secret to shimmy-ing over the horizontal figure 8=.... keep those heels ON the ground.... & the 8 totally
horizontal.... then start with a real slow even rythymic shimmy.... only go as fast as you can... keeping it rythymic.... then SLOWLY build up speed... do this every time you brush your teeth!!!
does this make sense???