New here please help-advice needed

sexy_sami

Hi everyone,

Im a new member to this board and new to belly dancing. Ok so here's my query or problem. Im getting married in August, well the end of August and at the moment my husband to be has moved abroad, I will join him after the wedding, anyhow. For the wedding nite I desperately want to do a little belly dance performance! I do want to know about the art form perhaps later on but right now I want to learn the basic techniques etc. I work full-time and dont have time to attend classes near my area because the time they're teaching classes im actually at work.

Ive bought two dvds, belly dance party and also belly dance for abs, the instructor is quite good and i learn these techniques for about 1hr, three times a week. Because I have 7 law exams Im not able to stop working (as I have to pay for them!) so after my exams in june I wish to get more help from my instructors and help me to choreographer some routines ill have two whole months to practic, practice and practice. Wot do u guys think?

Kharmine

Um, I take it this is to be a private performance? In which case I wouldn't worry about making it too complicated or longer than about 10 seconds...

sexy_sami

it is private but i defo wnt it longer than 10secs! lol

at least 2 songs! bt thanx :) i guess i shouldnt worry too muc

KuteNurse

Sounds like you are on the right track then, doing what you can to get by. Keep practicing the basics and watching your DVD's. When you have the 2 months for lessons, your instructor can tell you if you are making mistakes and correct them. He/She can also help with Choreography if you need. What about a cotume? Costumes take a while to get, depending on what kind. You should think ahead about that. Good luck and congratulations.

charity

well i dont think 2 whole months is enough practice for a beginner.

i learned basic moves solely from dvds, but now i'm in a class and once i lifted my arms up, everything fell apart.

(fyi the amount of concentration that it requires for me to do two things at once is appalling. :cool: )

i hope you have more natural ability for coordination and grace.

i would advise rely less on dvd 3/week, but only if its possible to hire a private session with the local instructor at a time convenient for you.

if its not possible to get private lessons, i say carry on with your dvds, but also look online at youtube videos and try to copy bits and pieces of choreography from the bellydance videos. that way you can start on doing your moves while intergrating arm gestures.

i know even if you keep it "simple", imo there isnt anything "simple" about doing a belly dance choreography.

i really dont want to discourage you but there is a reality that will come to you when you actually take lessons that no dvd can prepare you for. but i speak only from my own experience.

i hope it works out good for you, best of luck.

Shanazel

Enjoy yourself, sweetie, and don't worry too much about technique, etc. for this private performance. Smile, do the moves you are most comfortable with, drape your veil around your dearie with a little wink, and you'll be just fine.

charity

Enjoy yourself, sweetie, and don't worry too much about technique, etc. for this private performance. Smile, do the moves you are most comfortable with, drape your veil around your dearie with a little wink, and you'll be just fine.

this is true. it doesnt have to be a pro performance.

shanazel, you are always right on.

if you enjoy giving a show to your fiance, he's going to enjoy getting one.

sexy_sami

aww u guys rock!

that was some really good encouragement and also really good information! thank u so much..yeh i will defo try that you tube site, its purely for my husband! im already doin private pole dancin lessons n im great! at tat so belly dancin dvds, and the youtube site and hopefully speakin to u guys for encouragement will be great.

i didnt even think bout the costume! thank u so much for remindin me! i thought hey ill get it whenever but no ill HAVE to look NOW! thanks for that! and the wink veil thing lol that is going to be a treat! oh my god! im excited nw hehehe and yeh the moves r very hard, but im not tryin to blow my own horn/whistle how ever u say it but im a good learner and wen i was growing up and shakira first came out it was all about the hips wit me lol..so please pray for me :)

thanks again!! i really appreciate it

Yshka

sexy_sami said:
I do want to know about the art form perhaps later on but right now I want to learn the basic techniques etc

Right. Last time I checked bellydance itself IS an art form. Serious bellydance IMHO isn't just techniques you pick up in a few months anyway. I agree with Charity: nothing about bellydance is simple. But then again, if you are talking of a private performance I can't do much but agree with Kharmine and Shanazel..

Aisha Azar

Wedding night belly dance

Dear Sami,
You just go and have fun on your wedding night and worry about technique later!!
Congratulations!
Regards,
A'isha

da Sage

Hi Sexy Sami!

I think it's awesome that you are planning a dance for your soon-to-be husband! I haven't seen the party tape, but the abs tape is good. I think the first dance is the sexiest one, so steal as many moves from that as you can! Except the hands-in-front-of the face move...it is better to have the hands below the face, or above your head, so your sweetie can see your face.:)

Dance class is wonderful, but it is not so much about being sexy. You may want to take private lessons to make a special choreography for your fiance (tell the teacher about your private performance plans), and wait for the group class until after your honeymoon!

I think You-tube is an incredible resource for dance and music, because you can hear the music, and also see how other people dance to it. Find some slow, sensual music to work with (unless you prefer fast music). I also think a veil dance could be very meaningful.

Best of luck with your law studies and wedding preparations! I am amazed that you have time for bellydancing, but I hope you find that dancing makes you as happy as it makes me!:dance:

sexy_sami

Thank u so much.

Firstly sorry for offending anyone by saying ill look at the art form later on, wot i meant was i wnt to just have fun with it and perhaps the techniques wont be perfect, im sure theyll be far from perfect!

Thanks Da sage for the encouragement and just to let u know! i do love it! i do pole dancin classes on a saturday and love it and my pole dancin instructor has a friend who will help me with the choreography so that'll be fantastic.

:)

Im going to start checking out you-tube as much as possible :)

ill keep you guys posted

x

Ariella

Hey,
If you're going to be checking out youtube, I'm going to suggest the youtube section of this forum. There are some real gems!

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Sami,
As long as you are not dancing in public, passing yourself off as a belly dancer, then I guess it is not so important, but if you start to get the itch to perform, PLEASE respect the dance and get some real lessons.
Regards,
A'isha

Kharmine

I agree with A'isha.

And I know you're new and well-meaning and don't mean anything negative by it, but belly dancers, no matter what we prefer to call ourselves (Oriental dancers, etc.) don't like to be lumped in with strippers, burlesque performers, pole dancers, lap dancers, etc.

It's a sensuous dance, alright -- but the various styles evolve from old folkloric traditions. There will always be people who treat it like it's "the hoochie-coochie," but most of us prefer that it be regarded as an art apart from trying to titillate.

charity

so sexy-sami, you have a private instructor for pole dancing? that sounds like FUN. do you have a pole at your house? i've seen them online but they are a bit pricey. my sis does the strip tease videos with carmen electra. LOL.

i might start small with that. me and my friends used to go to the strip club that our friend worked out, she was a waitress and we got free drinks, but some of those girls are VERY talented on a pole! LOL.

it inspired me. i would do it for fun and to show off really.