Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Aziyade,
    A'isha writes- If you are aware that there IS an Egyptian or a Turkish style, and that they are different from each other and from other styles, what do you think about that? How do they differ? Where is the meat of that difference for you? How might it be if you were an uneducated audience member thinking you are seeing something from the Middle East and what you are really seeing has no reality in that thought? I believe our audiences deserve to hear the truth about what they are seeing.

Regards,
    A'isha

Diff between Turkish and Egyptian: my initial response

The first, most superficial thing I noticed was in the music. The music sounded completely different. After I listened a while I noticed clarinets in the Turkish and no clarinets in the Egyptian. There was harmony in the Turkish; no harmony in Egyptian. The rhythms were different -- although I couldn't figure out a 9/8 until it was explained to me.

When I saw actual Turkish bellydance it was from the late 70's and 80s, and the movements seemed, superficially, a lot bigger and much more EXTERNAL than Egyptian (and I was using primarily Sohair Zaki and Nadia Hamdi as my Egyptian standards. Those were the first Egyptians I remember seeing.) The Turkish dancers seemed almost angry -- they were so full of passion and energy. Sohair and Nadia were, on the other hand, like perfect princesses and their movements were more delicate and precise.

After I watched the two for a while, I felt like the Turkish dancers were more pelvic-oriented (keep in mind I hadn't seen Nagwa Fouad yet!). Even now when I hear certain things the clarinet does, I think PELVIC HAHA.

I think the american Oriental style has a similar "differentness" about it -- and I see your point about the audience. I'm not REALLY arguing with you; rather I'm trying to sort some things out for myself, and I'm caught in an authenticity loop right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ariellah DVD

Hey Everyone,

I've come across on YouTube: Contemporary Bellydance & Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah. Is this DVD a good one to try? Or is the one by Rachel Brice better? What is the opinion of both?

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I adore Rachel -- as a dancer and as a person. But this DVD...

Rachel's DVD is a combination of basic yoga exercises and very basic Suhaila Salimpour style technique. (Actually some yoga experts said Rachel's yoga instruction was too advanced for beginners, or that there was something hinky about it -- I can't remember, but they were NOT happy!)

I was SOOOOO disappointed with this DVD because I was expecting it to be something more than what it was. I much prefer the yoga workout on Aleili's Yoga for Bellydancers, and I can do Suhaila's drills myself -- I'm level one certified TOO!

Now that said, I haven't seen Areillah's DVD, but I was just this morning reading some glowing praise about it. Those people who I know bought it LOVE it. It's pretty long, and I don't know how it's broken up, but they seem to think it was WELL worth the money. I've not heard anything remotely negative about it.

I'm really quite impressed with most of Neon's (the World Dance New York) fitness DVDs. The instruction is good, and with most all of the exercises, you can adjust your energy level to make the movement easier or more difficult. I would imagine Areillah's is similar.

If you get it, post a review. You can pick-up a second-hand copy of Rachel's DVD on ebay often for $5. THAT many people dumped it after they bought it. That's probably a hint.

(you know I HATE to say anything negative about someone else's creative work, but you were asking for a comparison. Lots of people love the Rachel DVD. Why not get both?)

Quote Originally Posted by edavis2 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I've come across on YouTube: Contemporary Bellydance & Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah. Is this DVD a good one to try? Or is the one by Rachel Brice better? What is the opinion of both?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12