Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cairo classes

Dear Yasmine,
    Janaki is correct in that often the famous names in dance do not break down movement very well, though there are some exceptions, of course. There are two reasons for them not breaking down movement like westerners do.
    1. They are usually performers and entertainers, not teachers.
    2. Movement is not their focal point in the way it is with western dancers. they see movement as a vehicle for expression rather than as their actual purpose in the dance. In other words, instead of it being all about "look how cool this movement is", it is more like "Look at the abstract feeling that is expressed through these movements". I hope that makes sense.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi A'isha,

It makes a lot of sense! Great explanation!!! I agree with you 100%. Your knowledge of belly dance is amazing!!!. It is great to meet you on this forum A'isha

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cairo, etc.

Dear Janaki,
    I thank you for the great compliment!!
    I credit my Arab friends and the native dancers with whom I have studied for any knowledge that I might have about the dance. I do feel that I see the dance from a unique perspective for a westerner,because of their patience and their willingness to answer any questions I might have. They let me be observant without getting nervous, just allowing me to really see the dance through their eyes. I love this dance and I want to do the best by it that I can. Without their input I would have little understanding, I think.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Dear A'isha, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense 100%. Your dedication to this dance is indeed inspiring!

Janaki and eshta amar, thank you for the info. You all help me a lot
    Last edited by Yasmina; 04-06-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmina View Post
    Dear all,

I'm planning on travelling to Cairo for 6 months or one year (within the framework of my studies).
    i'm curious. do you mean the study abroad program through your university? i am considering that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Yasmina,

I have to agree with others, Raqia Hassan, Randa Kamel and Aida Nour are reaaally good. It's not a problem to get contacts to other dancers and there are some not so famous maybe but they are still great. I also like Asmahan, Nour (Russian), Soraya (Brazil), Dina and so on I've had a private classes of folklore dances with Fifi El Saed last time in Cairo and if you are interested in folklore there are other good dancers especially past members of some dance group such as Kalmaya or Reda and so on.
    When are you going to Cairo? I'll be there a whole summer this year, we can meet at some show or lessons. Send me an email info@sheyla-aziz.com

Best wishes, Sheyla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    i'm curious. do you mean the study abroad program through your university? i am considering that as well.

Yeah!! That's the one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12