Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I am a fanatic of the Egyptian style, I do also some fantasy stuff like sword, candle and Isis Wings. I dance also with veil and cane, but only the Egyptian way. In order not to talk much, I put a video clip of mine with sword dance, one with a candle dance and one with Overture with veil (the Egyptian way). All of them are also in the video subforum, but you don't need to search
    Sword dance:
    YouTube - Sword Dance by Chryssanthi Sahar

Candle dance:
    YouTube - Candle Dance by Chryssanthi Sahar

Veil intro for classical Arabian routine:
    YouTube - Chryssanthi Sahar + Band Al Sharq/ Raqs Sharqi

I am going to put also one with cane dance and one with Isis wings in short time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chryssanthi!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gwinity View Post
    Thanks, Chryssanthi!
    You are welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone, Oriental dancers in a prop shop is like kids in a candy store! As Salome puts it, in my dance journey, I've used zills(my favorite), veils, sword and double sword, Isis Wings (I've doubled them too) and I'm currently working on an assaya routine. I've used many different fabrics for veil work but silk veils are difficult for me at this point. Maybe because they are so lightweight
    Whatever props one chooses to use, having the appropriate music is a must. For swords and Isis Wings, I tend to use fusion style music.
    Yasmine
    I forgot to add candles, real candles can be so messy, so keep them in the freezer for 24hrs before you use them.
    Last edited by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia; 12-08-2006 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Alzheimers moment!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been working with double canes since August or September, and am coming along nicely (read: no longer whack myself on the butt and rarely tangle my canes). I have walked many miles up and down my dirt road after dark twirling my canes until I no longer have to think about what I am doing with them and can concentrate on adding the dance steps. As soon as I get those bits of body memory thoroughly tied together, I may actually do it at one of the twice yearly recitals the parks and rec department holds. Dang! This double cane stuff is fun!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I dance with Zills, Sticks, veils, circular veils, and a balance tray with candles

up north in a waterproof sequin-coverd yurt
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a sword junky. I am the queen of klutz, but I can use a sword. I have used veil and zils and candles in the past. zils I hate because it hurts too much to use them. My wrists and forearms yell at me and I need my day job too much to bother with the zils. Veils are fun and I've done a little bit of cane which I like. I think I may use a good snowbrush for my class party tomorrow though. The one I have is nicely balanced. and I think with our weather, it would generate some giggles. I could use it as a sword or a cane.

Post Thanks / Like

Hadassah! That's me exactly lol. I totally love cane, I can balance it on my head too, I use it mostly for Egyptian assaya, but I'm trying out Lebanese cane as well now. I also dance with a veil (in my troupe I use it for American style veil, outside I only like it for pretty Egyptian style entrances), but I never really liked it until recently. I'm starting to get the hang of it, and recently after trying double veil and absolutely LOVING it, I'm even feeling good about veildance.
    I dance with zills too, which I adore. I practise my butt off with 'em.

Haven't tried candles/trays, shemadan, Isis wings and sword yet. I think I would like to learn sword as well. Would like to try Isis Wings also but I don't know wether I will be able to handle those lol. Shemadan I think looks very impressive.

My first prop ever was cane, and it's still my fave, though zills are really catching up on first position in the faves list

Post Thanks / Like

My first ever was veil... and my current fave is veil. I also dance with cane, double cane, sword, zills, and two tealight candles. Sometimes if I'm brave I'll wrap the veil around my arms and put the tealights in my hands and wind and unwind the veil by circling the tealights.

Post Thanks / Like

Default props

I like the veil. It's just so beautiful and graceful