Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont use the sword yet. Have a hard enough time with my cane, veil and zills.
    Speking of which, any tips for balancing a particularly slippery cane?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nani View Post
    I'm practicing with the sword a lot lately--does anyone have any tips on spinning with the sword on your head? I have no problem spinning while balancing it on my head--the tricky part is when I stop spinning and the sword doesn't. The way I've discovered to mask this is to always turn clockwise and throw my left arm up in some dramatic pose at the end of the spin in front of the sword, so the still-spinning sword hits my forearm and stops rather than flying off my head into the audience somewhere. But what if I want to stop without touching the sword?
    Not that I'm an expert or anything at this point but this is definitely my favorite prop to use at home -- if you're bouncing, if you're not balanced, if you're not isolating properly the sword will let you know -- but I have worked with the sword for the last four years so I have a little experience. If you want to stop without touching the sword, you have to stop your spin VERY slowly, and make sure you allow time/spin for the sword to completely stop before you go on. It will still keep spinning a little even so, but it should stay on your head.

You should also practice spinning in the other direction, I know everyone has a preferred way but it makes for better body alignment as far as muscle and brain development if you do it both ways for practice, even if you only go one way for performance.

I now have two swords, a Saroyan knockoff which was cheap but I don't much care for, and an antique Turkish cavalry type of scimitar which I love but it's super slippery. My goal is double sword proficiency!

Post Thanks / Like

I am such a classical type and since I am mostly under arabic influences (in terms of teachers), my favorite is CANE and saiidi style...
    I use veil also, but mostly in some basic level, for the enterance...Although I looooove to see dynamic veil shows, like the ones that Aziza makes, but that's not me...:-)
    Also love to watch sword dance, but couldn't imagine myself doing it...

I recently bought a melaya, since I had workshops of eskandarani and I hope to learn to dance with it..It's so much fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

My first prop was a veil which I love. I also have a sword and zills. But I still have to master all three of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I got introduced to the cane last night. Not bad - I can see why it's the favourite of many.

I have a question though: How do you stop it slipping when you're twirling it? Maybe it was because it was dreadfully hot in the hall, but after n rotations, I'd have to stop and adjust it so as not to lose it (and have it hit someone.)

And I think it's a lot easier to balance a sword!

(BTW, three months later, I never got my silk veil. Has anyone ever had dealings with Desert Sands Silks? They're no longer on ebay, not responding to emails, and I need to lodge a dispute with PayPal )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nani View Post
    Somebody mentioned trouble with silk veils. When it comes to veils and which fabrics to use, some say to use "naked" silk to maintain that silky-floatiness, and some say that it's important to decorate the edge of your veil (silk or not) with enough trim so it can maintain a proper weight to dance with. Go figure.
    It all depends on what YOUR style and preferences are. And the venue - especially outside vs. in. Both viewpoints have their time, place, and dancer.

I have an article, "Choosing a Belly Dance Veil" at:

Choosing A Veil

But it only touches on trimmed vs. not, its more about fabrics.

-Zorba
    "The Veiled Male"
    Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leila_yu View Post
    I recently bought a melaya, since I had workshops of eskandarani and I hope to learn to dance with it..It's so much fun!!
    Oooh, I love melaya Only done a couple of workshops but I want to have a go at a melaya number one day.

I've had a go at dancing with a cane but I am not a confident twirler - must practice in the garden in the summer where I can't do too much damage. If I tried with a sword maybe I could do some pruning at the same time

Post Thanks / Like

I dance with veil, double veil, sword, and candle tray. I can also do cane and fans but haven't done it for awhile. I love all of these props.

Marianna

Marianna - Authentic Belly Dance - San Diego

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gwinity View Post
    I have a question though: How do you stop it slipping when you're twirling it? Maybe it was because it was dreadfully hot in the hall, but after n rotations, I'd have to stop and adjust it so as not to lose it (and have it hit someone.)
    Hi Qwinity! We put a rubber band at the end of the cane, where you hold it, it helps a lot. Just make sure it is high enough (there should be room for at least a fist underneath the band), otherwise the band can slip off and the cane flies right out of your hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, maariku! Some of the canes we used in class have a rubber band on the very end of them, but it does seem to make a lot more sense to put the band where you hold it!

And why is it that twirling is easier using the non-dominant hand, I wonder?