What do you dance with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharmine

As yet, the only thing I dance with is Abandon.

But I've seen a clip on the "Stars of Egypt" video series; one of the "Great Unknown" volumes has a bit with those identical twins Liz and Lynn dancing -- a man comes out and does a little dance with a smoking hookah on his head (he wears a turban).

I wanna do THAT!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I got introduced to the cane last night. Not bad - I can see why it's the favourite of many. :)

I have a question though: How do you stop it slipping when you're twirling it? Maybe it was because it was dreadfully hot in the hall, but after n rotations, I'd have to stop and adjust it so as not to lose it (and have it hit someone.)
A couple of different techniques I'm familiar with...

You can build up a bit of a "knob" at the bottom end with tape, rubber bands, or similar. Or you can tape it with "compatible" looking tape a good fist length above the end (where you grip it). The latter is the technique I prefer - and was how Nadia Gamal prepped her canes. *sniff* :D I also recommend taping the crook - especially the cheap bamboo canes - keeps 'em from splitting from repeated whacks on the floor... :pray:

I'm only "so-so" with the cane as yet. I can twirl it, etc, etc, no problem - in fact the cane seems to take care of itself (it has LOTS more experience than I) - but I don't feel I do a "convincing" cane dance - the dance isn't as well integrated into the cane as I'd like.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Last edited:

Madeline

A couple of different techniques I'm familiar with...

You can build up a bit of a "knob" at the bottom end with tape, rubber bands, or similar. Or you can tape it with "compatible" looking tape a good fist length above the end (where you grip it). The latter is the technique I prefer - and was how Nadia Gamal prepped her canes. *sniff* :D I also recommend taping the crook - especially the cheap bamboo canes - keeps 'em from splitting from repeated whacks on the floor... :pray:

I'm only "so-so" with the cane as yet. I can twirl it, etc, etc, no problem - in fact the cane seems to take care of itself (it has LOTS more experience than I) - but I don't feel I do a "convincing" cane dance - the dance isn't as well integrated into the cane as I'd like.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Zorba, I’m curious what Nadia Jamal’s canes are like? Do you have any photos of them?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, I’m curious what Nadia Jamal’s canes are like? Do you have any photos of them?
But of course!

There's a few more in the galleries on my site.

ETA: There's a closeup pic of one of them right under my "main pic" on the main page of my site. Forgot about that one!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Last edited:
I sometimes dance with my Amazon parrots at assisted living centers. The residents love it. At home, I dance with the birds more for their entertainment than mine.

Kelly

Safran

I also recommend taping the crook - especially the cheap bamboo canes - keeps 'em from splitting from repeated whacks on the floor... :pray:

That is a good tip, I never thought of that myself... The cane I practise with is already taped with the silver tape, but it doesn't look that storng, so an extra layer would definitely extend the cane's life.

Can someone tell me what are the main differences between the Egyptian and Lebanese cane dancing? I have absolutely no idea...:( Any video examples to help along with the explanations? :pray:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Thanks! Are those carvings on it? I’m interested because I really like Lebanese style dance.

Yes. The cane itself is apparently a very old type that isn't available anymore according to a source I trust. Its VERY light, and somewhat flexible, not stiff like bamboo. Artemis Imports is now selling a very nice looking cane that *looks* vaguely like this one (but prettier) - but I don't know about the weight, flexibility, etc.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Can someone tell me what are the main differences between the Egyptian and Lebanese cane dancing? I have absolutely no idea...:( Any video examples to help along with the explanations? :pray:
I'm no expert, but APPARENTLY twirling the cane overhead is more of a Lebanese thing. Or so I'm given to understand. Check out the video "Nadia Gamal, the Legend"; she has a lengthy cane performance in it - with the very cane in my picture - and its quite nice.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Jamil

The difference between Egyptian Saidi and Lebanese cane, apart from difference in stick shape is that Lebanese style use alot more ground cane slaps then the Egyptians do... Helicopter spin is Very Lebanese. Figure 8 twirling is signature to both, but the way in which the cane is held conveys where the stick twirlers influence is. If the slick is held with a closed fist and majority of the stick is above the hand that is mostly Egyptian style. If the fist is closed as if holding a cup of water and the majority of the stick is pointed towards the floor, this is Lebanese. The Lebanese style of EVERYTHING is much jutted and Powerful and holding the stick in this way creates extra emphasis on the figure 8 spin. Egyptians are very big on throwing the stick and catching it. The basic spin is signature to both.

Prop wise i use all. Yet professionally i stray away from Zils. i only teach that, don’t Perform with them. my favourite is Veil and Stick. i have been experimenting with the veil recently and have created some personal moves that i have never seen done with a veil before. Maybe i can upload a video soon.
i am also starting to get into Snakes as a Prop nowadays. Very interesting creatures and get easily nervous. but the look on the audiences face is Priceless when you start roving with the snake. even better is when a nice Taksim is interpreted while having the snake slither on your shoulders, but a word of warning... make sure they poop before you get out there! Oh and don’t agitate them, a snake bit a co-dancers arm once during a wedding reception. Not fun...:rolleyes:

-=Jamil=-

Lydia

what do you dance with

Like most of us i geuss,veils, shamadan ,asaya,drum,zills, but and this one is special Daniella the eagle, you can see her posing with me on my frontpage from my website..she is very special and people just adore her.....Have a great day Lydia

Oksana

Has anyone had any experience with double daggers? I know there is not much of balancing there going on. I am more interested in martial arts tricks you can do with those, but I can barely find anything about that on the Net.

Madeline

Thanks for the information, Zorba! I’ll keep Artemis Imports in mind if I need a new cane (or two! :D ). Do you know what material Nadia’s cane is made out of? Most bamboo canes are slightly too heavy for my taste.

Jamil, thanks for listing the differences between Lebanese and Egyptian style cane dancing. I’ve always wanted to know that!

Persephone

Has anyone had any experience with double daggers? I know there is not much of balancing there going on. I am more interested in martial arts tricks you can do with those, but I can barely find anything about that on the Net.

Ya Meena in DC does double daggers, and did them as well with her group Martiya Possession. You can see them on the Gothic Bellydance DVD.

I'm pretty good with a veil and decent with sword (although my sword is awful quality and I should get a better one). I don't like sword dance in theory because it doesn't have a meaning or history that interests me, but when I had to learn it for a group choreo I discovered that I really enjoy doing it. I like veil and would like to spend more time figuring out stuff to do with it -- since it's not authentic I feel like there's no excuse to not be innovative. :) I do try to make my veil pieces a little bit closer to tradition by using it as an intro, even if I extend it for longer than an Egyptian dancer would.

It has been a long time since I've worked seriously with finger cymbals, and I really need to get back into it because I think they're fantastic when used correctly. I am also very interested in learning cane... I'm so excited that my studio is having an assaya workshop this month!

Oksana

Persephone, thanks for the answer!

My instructor Rozana does cane, and she actually releases Raqs Assaya instructional DVD in March or April. I learned one dance, and I think it is pretty awesome, though kinda tricky balancing-wise.

adiemus

I'm about to start cane!! Yay! I love my veil, and my zills, but NOT the sword (it just looks like I'm suicidal or homicidal! )

Sapphira

Hi

I dance with a veil, isis wings and candles.

Does anyone know where I can buy a Shamedan (Candelabra Headdress)?

:think:

Wulpsie

I love to dance with my veils (Rectangular 3 m length, full cicle, half circle doubles) Love my Isis wings, Like dancing with the cane except when u have to start jumping around (I am quite big). Zills are fun. So are tambourines..Starting to work on the sword.. hubby is buying me one for Christmas. Still love to dance as well without a prop depends on the mood :)

Status
Not open for further replies.