What do you dance with

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_shimmy

the sword

my wierd sense of humour...it was about the sword,being essential that its balanced....

:)

sorry,my sense of humour is a little mad

amanda
xxxxxxxxxx:)

miss_shimmy

I think we should just have a shimmy :)

*****miss shimmy has a shimmy around the thread****

he he he

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:p

gwinity

I'm going to be learning candles very soon - a lot sooner than I actually thought possible! - to be performed in November. The combination of me and fire should have a lot of people very worried... if there's a headline stating "Bellydancers killed in blaze", don't look at me. *shifty*

samsied

My best props are cane and single veil (a distant second but improving). For some reason I found cane easiest to learn of the two, I had a teacher who taught cane every so often in class and for some reason I really connected with it.

My first teacher is a master at double veil and zills so I sould be good at these (thoughn it has been years sincee I studied with her). But at that time I was focussed on learning and practicing the movement techniques and learning the music and was not as interested in using props (I know zills/sagat are an instrument not a prop--but I find them intimidating lol!). When I decided I was ready to dance with a veil, I found I remembered a lot of what she taught as I obsessively practiced, it started coming back. That and Aziza's veil dvd helped.

I am interested in double veil, zills, shamadan or tray, sword and melaya. The teacher who taught cane also taught Melaya Leff ocasionally. I think I am going to focus on overcoming my zill/sagat intimidation issues first since I suspect that will help my dancing the most. Though I don't think I will perform with zills anytime soon.

I love it when I see people dancing well with a prop--I mean dancing not doing a bunch of parlor tricks (though that can also be fun to watch). I'm curious, How did you all decide which props you want to dance with?

Hadassah

I'm a sword/cane girl! I love balancing things on my noggin. For some reason, even though I'm the clumsiest girl on the planet, I can balance things. Weird.
I like veil, but it's not my forte. I always feel like I'm whipping it around.
I'm working on my zills more. And we will be balncing open-flame fire trays in coming weeks. It's gonna be real hard for me to lay off the hairspray.
FIRE!!!

miss_shimmy

being honest

well you know,I am dancing with zillz,single veil,and a cane (not all at once of course!!!he he he),and realy,I enjoy them all,they realy add depth and color to your dancing I think.

I am staying with those for now,you have all done realy well to learn all you learnt so far on your dance journeys,well done:)

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxx:)

I love dancing with a sabre. But I also like dancing with veils and I even learned to dance with large fans - it looks so great when you are dancing with them!

gwinity

Inspired by my troupemates, I just bought a sword, and am eyeing off a set of isis wings. (any good DVDs out there for either?) :) I'm also waiting for my veil to arrive so I can practice with it... and maybe being silk it will miraculously stop getting tangled in my ponytail (which my teacher's veils do!!)!

I haven't touched my zils in ages, but I do find myself air-zilling to groovy rhythms. :D

Last edited:

chryssanthi sahar

Although I am a fanatic of the Egyptian style, I do also some fantasy stuff like sword, candle and Isis Wings. I dance also with veil and cane, but only the Egyptian way. In order not to talk much, I put a video clip of mine with sword dance, one with a candle dance and one with Overture with veil (the Egyptian way). All of them are also in the video subforum, but you don't need to search;)
Sword dance:
YouTube - Sword Dance by Chryssanthi Sahar

Candle dance:
YouTube - Candle Dance by Chryssanthi Sahar

Veil intro for classical Arabian routine:
YouTube - Chryssanthi Sahar + Band Al Sharq/ Raqs Sharqi

I am going to put also one with cane dance and one with Isis wings in short time.

Hi Everyone, Oriental dancers in a prop shop is like kids in a candy store!:) As Salome puts it, in my dance journey, I've used zills(my favorite), veils, sword and double sword, Isis Wings (I've doubled them too) and I'm currently working on an assaya routine. I've used many different fabrics for veil work but silk veils are difficult for me at this point. Maybe because they are so lightweight:think:
Whatever props one chooses to use, having the appropriate music is a must. For swords and Isis Wings, I tend to use fusion style music.
Yasmine
I forgot to add candles, real candles can be so messy, so keep them in the freezer for 24hrs before you use them.

Last edited:

Shanazel

I have been working with double canes since August or September, and am coming along nicely (read: no longer whack myself on the butt and rarely tangle my canes). I have walked many miles up and down my dirt road after dark twirling my canes until I no longer have to think about what I am doing with them and can concentrate on adding the dance steps. As soon as I get those bits of body memory thoroughly tied together, I may actually do it at one of the twice yearly recitals the parks and rec department holds. Dang! This double cane stuff is fun!

sparklyraven

I'm a sword junky. I am the queen of klutz, but I can use a sword. I have used veil and zils and candles in the past. zils I hate because it hurts too much to use them. My wrists and forearms yell at me and I need my day job too much to bother with the zils. Veils are fun and I've done a little bit of cane which I like. I think I may use a good snowbrush for my class party tomorrow though. The one I have is nicely balanced.:D and I think with our weather, it would generate some giggles. I could use it as a sword or a cane.:)

Yshka

Hadassah! That's me exactly lol. I totally love cane, I can balance it on my head too, I use it mostly for Egyptian assaya, but I'm trying out Lebanese cane as well now. I also dance with a veil (in my troupe I use it for American style veil, outside I only like it for pretty Egyptian style entrances), but I never really liked it until recently. I'm starting to get the hang of it, and recently after trying double veil and absolutely LOVING it, I'm even feeling good about veildance.
I dance with zills too, which I adore. I practise my butt off with 'em.

Haven't tried candles/trays, shemadan, Isis wings and sword yet. I think I would like to learn sword as well. Would like to try Isis Wings also but I don't know wether I will be able to handle those lol. Shemadan I think looks very impressive.

My first prop ever was cane, and it's still my fave, though zills are really catching up on first position in the faves list:lol:

Rebecca_

My first ever was veil... and my current fave is veil. I also dance with cane, double cane, sword, zills, and two tealight candles. Sometimes if I'm brave I'll wrap the veil around my arms and put the tealights in my hands and wind and unwind the veil by circling the tealights.

Status
Not open for further replies.