Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, exposure to authentic ME music --

any suggestions for specific recordings?

I have hundreds, but what are some good EVEN-TEMPO songs for drills in class? I end up using Arab pop most of the time because if I use the stuff I really like, the tempo and rhythms changes make the songs hard to drill with and repeat movements/combos with.

I use Sallam Allay a lot, and a Ghawazee track off Alexandria's self-made CDs. I'd like to have more than just a Saidi sound though.

FWIW -- I'm currently experimenting with using Neena and Veena's CDs for class choreos because all the songs are pretty simple, short, and there's a good variety of sounds on each one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching, etc

OOPs!! Don't know what I did wrong, but this showed up as part of da Sage's message, so I thought I should redo!!

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    OMG, that is a brilliant idea. Brilliant!

Dear da Sage,
    Thank you. I LOVE to teach. I feel that it is really the most important thing I do in the dance, though I am a performer, artistic director of a dance company, costumer, researcher,and writer. My whole premise in teaching is to look at what is good for the dance and what is good for the student. What will be the easiest way for them to do all of the zillion things they must learn to do in order to become a dancer? I call my teaching method Student Awareness Based Teaching. I take the time to really try to figure out what will be the most beneficial way to present material to my students, and then experiment with it until I get it right! That method of learning cymbals seems to be more effective than other methods I have tried.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Last edited by Aisha Azar; 04-11-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching, etc.

Dear Aziyade,
    Many of Jalilah Zamora's pieces have very long sections of rythm that remains the same tempo-wise and can still effectively show the complexity of the music. Spectacular Rythms from the Middle East is another good teaching one with many rythms and tempos. Belly Dance: Mohamed Abdel Wahab has some good stuff with long sections. I can't remember if its Samirah or Samarah, but that one is good. Belly dance around Egypt has some fun stuff on it. For my continuing students, I use things like Hani Mahenna's version of Meshal, more complex stuff from Jalilah's series, Princess of Cairo, Suhier Zaki in Germany. These are a few of my favorite teaching tools. As you can guess, these are for Egyptian belly dance.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Okay, exposure to authentic ME music --

any suggestions for specific recordings?

I have hundreds, but what are some good EVEN-TEMPO songs for drills in class? I end up using Arab pop most of the time because if I use the stuff I really like, the tempo and rhythms changes make the songs hard to drill with and repeat movements/combos with.
    Hi guys, long time no posts (stupid internet providers ) but I've been using Hossam Ramzy's bedouin tribal CD for drilling and have been thinking about what a perfect CD it would be for classes, as the music's not too 'heavy' but very rhythmic. It also contains a variety of speeds and rhythms for whatever you want to drill. I was discussing with a friend who teaches whether it might be a sneaky way to expose the newbie's ear to arabic sounds without overwhelming them completely?

Post Thanks / Like

Default More, etc.

Dear Group,
    I think we also should recognize that there are many, many good teaching methods out there. Some address specifics and some are more general in nature. My dear friend Ne Kajira Janan takes a very much more intellectual and sort of scientific approach to teaching than I do. My approach is very organized, but more, maybe, visceral. Together we make a great teaching team. Our teaching styles are different, yet we both are pretty effective teachers. We have co-taught several times and it was always a very rewarding experience for me, and I hope, her, too. Ne Kajira works on something called Rules of Three, which is an approach that disucsses general ways in which the body moves through space, and can applied to any movement form. I teach based on movement and essence for specific styles of dance. Both teaching methods are good and do what they are supposed to do. We come from different fundamental bases, but end up in the same place!
    (BTW, she is mostly retired now, but any dancers in fusion or American styles should DEFINATELY take a class from her if the chance arises!!)
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone, Boy I've been away too long! Thanks Aziyade for bringng up this topic. As both a student and a teacher, I can say that my learning needs do change over time. In the beginning I was more concerned about the moves since I'm not native to the culture. Just as I mastered the moves then I realized I needed to learn about the music, then the culture, then costuming and so on and so on...I'm sure it is the same for most students. Additionally, my learning style evolved too. I'm primary a visual learner with two dimensional thinking...I've evolved to use many styles of learning a multi-dimensional thinking(meaning I recognize there more than one thing happening at the same time). Brand new students from Western cultures approach the dance in linear fashion, first A then B then C and so on. It's difficult for these types of learners to accept a whole lot of info at once.

What I've noticed as a teacher, my teaching style has also evolved over time.I understand the importance of using varied teaching styles not only to transmit the info but also try to fit the student's learning styles. With each class I relize that not only do I have to teach the dance(music, culture etc) but also teach students a different way of thinking and learning.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

i have only been taking classes since april 12. every monday. so thats 5 weeks at this point. right now we are learning a choreography for a beladi.

here is what we are learning

chest lifts/drops/bounce
    slides and crescents and circles
    head
    hip
    ribcage
    hip lifts/drops
    hip side hits
    snake arm
    body wave
    3 point turn
    2 point turn
    some angled turn that makes me dizzy
    shoulder shrugs/rolls/pushes
    framing arms

i think that covers it. i have a feeling that in the part 2 class of beginners that we will get into more cultural aspects and that begins in may. .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Everyone, Boy I've been away too long!
    I was wondering about you the other day!

Post Thanks / Like

AH -- this makes TOTAL sense to me now.

In 5 weeks, I can't imagine how much actual cultural/musical/historical knowledge I could pass on to students -- or how much would even sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    i have only been taking classes since april 12. every monday. so thats 5 weeks at this point. right now we are learning a choreography for a beladi.

here is what we are learning

chest lifts/drops/bounce
    slides and crescents and circles
    head
    hip
    ribcage
    hip lifts/drops
    hip side hits
    snake arm
    body wave
    3 point turn
    2 point turn
    some angled turn that makes me dizzy
    shoulder shrugs/rolls/pushes
    framing arms

i think that covers it. i have a feeling that in the part 2 class of beginners that we will get into more cultural aspects and that begins in may. .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sstacy123 View Post
    I was wondering about you the other day!
    LOL, Well Stacy, I've been dating up a storm nd we all know distracting that can be .
    Yasmine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast