Teaching more than just dancing...

Maria_Aya

Ok handssssssssss

This video is from a privite teaching hand movements, so guess this is the place to post it.
Hands are usual the weakest part in a dancer, thats why I start it from the first lesson. Like locking certain body-hip movements with hand movements.

Maria Aya:)

leila_yu

Maria Aya: "I know they say I'm a bitch lol, but at least we are bitches united in the love of oriental dance".

You??? Bitch???? My dear, u r the nicest and the kindest person in the world! You are just being honest! Love ya!
P.S. Wish you the greatest time in Cairo, I am soooooooooooo sad cause I won't be there!

Aisha Azar

Teaching

Dear Aya,
Lovely arm and hand movements. Very fluid!
WHO thinks you are a bitch?? Ya want me to have them whacked?? I know people.... I got your bitch right here!!
Regards,
A'isha

Yshka

Dear Maria, very nice clip. Your hands and arms are so graceful!! My teacher treats hand movements early in beginners also. Better to learn not to forget about where your hands go from the start.

Maria_Aya

hi there :) and thanks for the comments about the hands.
I believe that hands are extremly importand into oriental dance, and sometimes even good hands can level up a dancer.

Now about the bitch thing (thanks Aishaaaaaaaaa ) a recent example:

I'm at an arabian gathering invited as a guest, and there is a young dancer, very beautiful, very talanted, and her style is turkish.
So she picks Oum Kalthoum Enta Omri, as opening part to dance with veil, with a turkish style.
Yes she knew i was there, yes she knew who I am, and yes she was looking for my comments after.
Well... with the nicest way I told her that her style wasnt fitting the music.
She goes : huh? what do you mean? my style?
Me: I'm like herrr do you know what style you are dancing?
She goes: Oriental.
me: Ok but what style of Oriental?
She: what do you mean what style of oriental you came here to insult me???
I'm like: Oh Lord.. I'm gonna need the next half hour to explain styles.
As I did, and after she have the best phrase:
Ok so if I was so wrong in the dance, why the arabs went crazy about me...
Ok my patient is done, so I just say the truth:
Honey you was half naked and all your butt was beeking out of the turkish skirt with the slits !!!
She goes: Jealous old bitch !!! and walk away.

See, this is just an example how, and why the call me bitch.

Thats why we say we are at least united bitches lol

Maria Aya:rolleyes:

charity

that girl just didnt like your answer. perhaps she is full of herself and can only accept positive comments that cater to her ego. with that nasty attitude how does she expect to learn or improve or maybe she doesnt care to.

everyone knows it stings to be critiqued, even if constructively, by an experienced, professional, educated, and beautiful dancer but thats because we all want to be recognized for our efforts. in the same regards that is why we take the critique/advice and use it to be better dancers.

the fact that she called you a bitch, well that says less about you and more about her. she was obviously insulted by your honesty but what can you do?.

Moon

Why does she look for comments if she doesn't want to hear it? :think: I think Charity is right, she's full of herself and propably no-one ever critisesed her dancing :rolleyes:

leila_yu

Charity has a good point!And if somebody minds that u're being honest, that's not your problem! But such cases exist everywhere and we shouldn't pay any attention to it!Especially you!!!! :):):)

hi there :) and thanks for the comments about the hands.
I believe that hands are extremly importand into oriental dance, and sometimes even good hands can level up a dancer.

Now about the bitch thing (thanks Aishaaaaaaaaa ) a recent example:

I'm at an arabian gathering invited as a guest, and there is a young dancer, very beautiful, very talanted, and her style is turkish.
So she picks Oum Kalthoum Enta Omri, as opening part to dance with veil, with a turkish style.
Yes she knew i was there, yes she knew who I am, and yes she was looking for my comments after.
Well... with the nicest way I told her that her style wasnt fitting the music.
She goes : huh? what do you mean? my style?
Me: I'm like herrr do you know what style you are dancing?
She goes: Oriental.
me: Ok but what style of Oriental?
She: what do you mean what style of oriental you came here to insult me???
I'm like: Oh Lord.. I'm gonna need the next half hour to explain styles.
As I did, and after she have the best phrase:
Ok so if I was so wrong in the dance, why the arabs went crazy about me...
Honey you was half naked and all your butt was beeking out of the turkish skirt with the slits !!!
She goes: Jealous old bitch !!! and walk away.

See, this is just an example how, and why the call me bitch.

Thats why we say we are at least united bitches lol

Maria Aya:rolleyes:
Way To Go Maria! This is a perfect eample on why one should never ask a question if one doesn't want to hear the answer.
Yasmine

Aniseteph

:shok: Talk about telling it like it is... LMAO :lol:

Seriously, you give her 30 minutes of your time explaining the reasons for your opinions that she asked for in the first place, and she calls you that? Not that difficult to spot the bitch IMHO...

Moon

She's the one who's jealous... maybe she realised after the explanation that when she will be Maria's age, the Arabs won't go crazy about her anymore but they will still like Maria's dance ;)

Last edited:

charity

AH -- this makes TOTAL sense to me now.

In 5 weeks, I can't imagine how much actual cultural/musical/historical knowledge I could pass on to students -- or how much would even sink in.

today my teach had us watch a dvd/documentary on hahbi ru (probably not spelled right). the instructor above her was answering student questions. it was performances mostly but it was exposure to costume ideas and different dancing choreo's.

i liked it. i dont know how the rest of the class felt. though they seemed a bit impatient and shifty.

Shadia Dahlal

beautiful dancing, Maria!

Maria,

I have wanted to write you since I returned from Greece last October. I was there vacationing with friends.

Thanks for posting the video of yourself. What beautiful and heartfelt dancing.

Shadia:clap:

Shadia Dahlal

I'm sorry for not reintroducing myself. I realized I had to reregister yesterday when I had to sign up again. I've been reading some of the postings and have found more on this message board than the others I used to read. And these boards are so friendly.

Shadia