Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with stacy, if there were several equally good teachers to choose from studio quality would be a factor. i'd go with the largest student/space ratio.

in class when we work on turns and traveling, students have to tuck their arms in to prevent smacking someone beside, behind, and in front of them. to me this is no big deal because the trade off is floor to ceiling mirrors and hard wood floors. i wouldnt even take class in a space that had no mirrors.

a/c is no big deal to me. if heat were so unbearable for 1-2 hours out of the day then i would hope the teacher would invest in a window unit.

Post Thanks / Like

There was only one time when my husband "interfered" with my dancing, and that was when a former teacher moved her classes to a studio in a really bad neighborhood. I later decided I didn't want to take class there when the instructor started locking the front door to keep the locals from wandering around inside. Too spooky!

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Aziyade,
    I notice that a LOT of dance studios, unless they are chains, tend to be in poorer, rougher neighborhoods. I think this is because that's where we can afford to rent!! Of course, that does not need to have an effect on cleanliness or the indoor condition of the place.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

My classes are in the local community centres, and for those of us who get there early, there's the moving of furniture, and scouring the floor for staples and other sharp objects left over from the previous class. We don't have mirrors, but after it gets dark outside, the windows make a good substitute. No A/C, but there are overhead fans (which do make things a little awkward for veilwork). Chairs and tables and doors not quite shoved completely out of the way make for obstacles which teach us stage positioning, and how to recover gracefully when you dance into something. It's friendly, safe, welcoming, and cheap - for both us and the teacher.

I've never taken classes in a 'proper' dance studio, so I don't know what I'm missing, but from all the references I've seen in pop-culture movies (I'm a sucker for dance films) and from the discussion here they seem to be either sterile and uninviting, or grungy and dangerous. I think I'll stick with the community centre.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Studio

Dear Aziyade,
    I used to take the occasional class from Feiruz when she lived in Seattle. The studio was in a very bad part of town. It was worth it!! I would always be with friends and we did not leave or arrive alone. the amazing thing is that any place becomes the bad part of town if you are being harassed or attacked. It can and does happen anywhere.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

The place I go to now has a lovely floor and mirrors on two walls so you can check out the side view for a change!

It must be difficult to not have mirrors at all. But the most annoying for me is when there isn't space to spread out so you can all see the teacher. I gave up hiding at the back, just so I can see what's going on properly and not spend the whole class dodging around for a clear sight-line.

Post Thanks / Like

In my monthly classes, there are no mirrors and actually I don't miss them at al

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite BD class is in the best local studio I've seen (heat, AC, free/close parking, great hardwood floors, mirrors on three sides, A+ acoustics).

It is also the closest belly dance class to my house (only 3 or 4 miles), and there's a bread bakery right next door (so I can buy a savory roll and Coke on my way home). The class time is ideal for my schedule.

The class is consistently challenging, but I'm comfortable with the format and the pace, so it's not overwhelming.

The great location is great, but it's the teacher and her teaching style that makes the class. I'd travel a long way to continue learning with her, but I'm glad I don't have to.

Post Thanks / Like

I dance in 2 different studios. One has wooden floors, air con and mirrors at the front and is also quite spacious and the other studio is cold, old but huge though no mirrors, windows,a/c etc. I'm not too fussed where I dance, I think it's more important that you are getting good tuition!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Studio

Dear Group,
    For me, a good venue with mirrors and heat is very important, but the most important thing of all is the quality of the teaching. All the dance comforts in the world do not make up for a bad instructor or compare to a great one!! The very best is when you can get it all in one place.
    Regards,
    A'isha!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Studio space can help me decide between teachers. I want to feel safe going to or leaving class, feel safe with my feet turning and gliding on the floor (that goes for performance places too!), and a decent amount of space per student.

When I have multiple options, I will pick a good teacher over a bad space though :o)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast