Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edavis2 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I was curious, does anyone know of any good studios or teacher i the Toledo, OH area?
    Did you try the link in my first post to you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edavis2 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I was curious, does anyone know of any good studios or teacher i the Toledo, OH area?
    I have the perfect teacher for you!!!!. Her name is Aegela and she has been dancing for over 30yrs. She is only one of a handful of foreign dancers to have received Lifetime Work Permit to dance in Egypt. At one point she headlined shows in Cairo and Alexandria.
    How do I know? I'm proud to call her a teacher, mentor and friend. She deinitely will help you learn to dance and reach your own potential.

Aegela School And Staff
    Happy Dancing
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

What Rico said goes for me, too. The day I saw a woman in her wheel chair dance, I threw out all my pre-conceived notions of what made a dancer.

I am a dance instructor, not a physician or physical therapist. A person with medical issues needs to get his or her doctor's feedback and let me know what is going on, then we can work around the restrictions. We all have restrictions (please, don't ask me to demonstrate anything that requires me to fall to the floor and rise again without help from three strong students- the knees are shot), but that is no bar to being able to dance beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aegela Belly Dance School

Hey Yasmine Bint Al Nubia,

I checked out Aegela's website and I like what I read so far, especially about her experience with occupational therapy rehabilitation. But, how much is it total for her classes? The website says "Session Fee: $50 for 1 class per week; $25 for each additional class." So, does this mean that for six weeks it costs $175 with $50 the first week and the other five classes are $25 each, or does this mean that classes cost $300 at $50 per week and any review classes outside of that is $25? I'm a little confused.

edavis2

Post Thanks / Like

I have scoliosis in the lower back (it curves to the left) and I just started taking BD lessons a month ago (not wanting to go back to traditional ballet/tap/jazz that I took long ago).

My problem is I am finding my range of motion is limited when I try to do a hip slide to the right. My instructor thought it was oblique stomach muscle tightness, and now I realize it's not. I'm also having to fight from twisting when I do this move. Am I really just left having to do a smaller move to balance it out? If I do that, will I get the same exercise benefit?

Between this and my fallen arches (18 years of dancing in non-supportive shoes will do that to you!), I am feeling very limited out of the starting gate... Thanks,
    Laura

Post Thanks / Like

Schhdogs, most people start out with a smaller movement and gradually move up to a larger movement. Start out small, get the control you want and then slowly push yourself towards a larger movement. Chances are that you will always have subtle movement in this area, but that is by no means a bad thing.

The only thing stopping you from dancing at this moment is the little voice in your head telling you you're not good enough. Ignore it. Or better yet, (if you're alone or don't care what people think) tell it off. Everyone gets the nagging voice of doubt at some stage, and it's by pushing past it that we grow.

Best wishes with your bellydance journey.

Post Thanks / Like

I have scoliosis. To make things even more exciting, I was in a rollover car accident when I was 17 years old that injured my back.

I have also been belly dancing for over 30 years.

I found that belly dance rib cage circles help ease the pain of the car accident injury. I have found that when I dance regularly (at least once a week), my back is stronger, healthier, and less painful than it was when I take a break from dancing. So for me, the more I belly dance, the happier my back is!

I don't think you need to start with private lessons. Just look for a good group class - one taught by an experienced, well-qualified teacher. Try to avoid people who are new to teaching, and try to filter out the ones who decided to proclaim themselves "teachers" after 8 weeks of taking beginner classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    The only thing stopping you from dancing at this moment is the little voice in your head telling you you're not good enough. Ignore it.
    Need this on a cross-stitch sampler.
    <goes off to shout at inner voice>

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another dancer with mild scoliosis. My hip alignment has become more symmetrical with dance and yoga, just by trying to do it as evenly as possible, not with special attention. I agree that yoga and dance complement each other nicely.

But do try to get the most knowledgeable teachers you can: I now have a nagging injury due to overuse of muscles not really designed for the job, and it is a huge mental and physical task to retrain them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12