Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mariyam View Post

My own sin is that whenever I hear a song that is very "danceable" (in the broad sense of the term, not just bellydance) I cannot dance in any other way than with bellydance moves Well, it's not exactly a sin, right? It's just that I am dance-challenged and cannot get bellydance out of my body, right?
    Mine too... Some times I try not to, but then dancing gets boring and I feel Im just tripping from side to side - doing "nothing".. Dosnt FEEEEEEEL like dancing at all.. So after a few songs I usually cant help my self and give "the shit" about what people are thinking for then to just dance the way I feel to capture the music...

Aïda

Post Thanks / Like

Wink I like sins,

especially if it is for bellydancing!

I also like confessing them, because, guess what? A confessed sin is not a sin anymore!

And if I list all my bellydance sins, I should monopolise the thread for the next page(s).

But mostly, I adore to bellydance (preferably with Saidi style) with

Mindfields by Prodigy!

W.

PS/Hope the Bellydance Goddess forgive my sin!

Post Thanks / Like

"machine gun" by Portishead.

And anything by Bjork.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually use any music for practice, I find that it makes my dancing more varied and that I 'invent' new things if I dance to non ME music. Than later I can use that with 'proper' music

Post Thanks / Like

My current "Dear God, woman!!" song is Loreena McKennitt- God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. This is funny because in my group, I am known as the purist, and I'm not Christian.

YouTube - Loreena McKennitt- God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen

Post Thanks / Like

I practice and plan on performing to the song "Voodoo" from Godsmack. I figure - as long as it has a moving rhythm and having fun - I think that's the whole point!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    If you do it in a personal way its ok

Confesting a bellydance sin:
    I use in my teaching class, after the warmup (that last 15 min) (in a 2 hour class) from Prodigy "Smack my bitch up" for hipdrops and at the end of the cool down Scorpions "Wind of Change"

Maria Aya dont shoot meeeeeeeeeeeee
    You know what, why the hell shouldn't you be able to dance to whatever floats your boat....so long as it's not putting the wrong sexual message across. Hipdrops to 'Smack my Bitch Up'.... is fine... so long as you beat yourself across the buttocks with a riding whip whilst sucking on a chocolate dildo....good on ya. It's great to see how many people don't feel guilty about dancing to 'abnormal' music.

Post Thanks / Like

Rammstein, Flogging Molly, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Kaizer's Orchestra, Balkan Beat Box, Rob Zombie, Björk, Portishead, Tricky, Rimsky Korsakov, Prodigy (I've stumpled upon an AWESOME bastard mix - Smack My Bitch Up vs. Enya's Orinoco Flow! Anyone know that one? ) Safri Duo, Medieval music, Dust/Chemical Brothers, Tori Amos, Clawfinger...

Sin
    upon Sin
    upon Sin...

I just can't help dancing to music that speaks to me.
    Okay, I CAN. But I wouldn't dream of it.

Most of the songs I've listed, I've only yet danced to in the privacy of my own home, but a few of them, I have used for performances in smaller contexts...and I have serious performance plans with some of the ones left.

To me, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it - it's just a matter of chosing the right audience for it - and calling whatever I choose to do by it's right name, or, if I have no proper label for it yet, try to come up with one that is as close as I can to a fitting, descriptive title for my project.
    "Experimental" and "Fusion" are pivotal words to me in this context.
    I would hate to unintentionally "sell" something as Bellydance/oriental dance that doesn't even have the INTENTION to try to stay true to the traditionally accepted genres within the rim of the "bellydance umbrella".
    I am positive that it would be bad both for me, my fellow dancers AND the Art of bellydancing as a whole. Nothing positive to gain for anyone in mislabelling anything, is my thought...

Now with that in mind - I can't even begin to imagine how what you're contemplating could really be "Wrong". I think it's the other way around, actually. To me, it reads like the only potential "sin" would lie in cheating yourself and your audience from the completely exhilarating experience it often is to dance, getting the feeling that "Okay, my whole essential being insists I just HAVE to dance to this music - if I don't, I think I'll EXPLODE!".
    As a member of an audience, that's what I hope for everytime I see someone enter the stage.

In other words - I'd totally have funfunfun flogging the heck out of Molly and show the good grace to share that awesome, natural high, if I were you!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with bopping and warming up to what you want... performing publicly to the Prodigy's Fire Starter and telling people it's 'belly dance from the ME' would just make you look like an ass, and deservedly so.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I feel so out of place. I'm new here and I belly dance in private just for fun, and exercise. I have some traditional belly dance music, but I've used Cascada before, and I was thinking of using the song "Happy Little Boozer" by Korpiklaani because it's got kind of a folk tune mixed into it, as do many of their songs.