Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default **edited for swearing**

OH MY GOD MOST OF YOU WOULD BE AT HOME AROUND A CAULDRON KEEP IT UP LADIES AND MAKE EVERY ONE NEW AND OLD TO THIS FORUM FEEL SO WELCOME WELL DONEYOU ARE SO FULL OF IT

Original text left as is, just the header is edited.
    Last edited by paigan; 01-05-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are refering to heated discussions...well they tend to get like that when people care about what they do then different persepectives will clash. I am sure that most people who join internet forum are aware that this will happen wether it be crossstitchers or garden gnome fanatics...... and you know what they say about kitchens

Put yourself and your opinions in the public domain and you tend to get a response. Sadly it may not be what you'd like to read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LunaXJJ View Post
    So, back on the original topic. Anyone else have any unorthodox songs they like to BD to? I don't know if I said this before, but I practiced to some techno before. That was some good fun.

Yep -- I've enjoyed tossing a bit of Celtic or Celtic Rock at our coffeehouse audience (just one dance surrounded by more traditional fare). There's plenty to work with in them, rhythm-wise. I'm going to bounce some Alanis Morisette lyrics off our instructor to see if they'd be welcome at the coffeehouse or if I need to bring it to the bar where the Urban ATS ladies dance, instead (no swearing, just . . . direct.)

Post Thanks / Like

Whew, I never thought I would, but I've been working on a piece with a modern dancer lately, and might be doing a small piece in which I will incorporate moves from the Oriental dances as well as classical and modern western dances.... to music by Wim Mertens . I'm trying to put the layout of a classic Oriental choreography into a western song by trying to 'translate' that song with my body the way we would in Oriental Dance. It's an interesting path I must say. Wim's music is full of intricate layers and emotion.

It'll be a one time thing though and for an audience that consists of dancer who know their stuff, mainly. I'm not a fusion dancer and never will be. After this one I will head back towards deepening my knowledge of Egyptian dances and contemporary Cairo styles.
    Last edited by Yshka; 01-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

An experiment I occasionally assign my students is to dance to a traditional middle eastern piece of music, then to something really western (Toby Keith or hiphop) and compare the two experiences. The continuing students "get it" right away and even most of the beginners can tell a difference between watching dancers bop to Toby vs. dancing to Hossam Ramzy.

Hey, Paigan, one of the biggest disagreements I ever witnessed was between two very dignified ladies at a meeting of the African Violet Club. I thought they were going to take off their diamond rings and come to blows over a difference of opinion re: fertilizing plants in winter.

Heat up the wine in that cauldron and toss in some mulling spices, 'cause we do rumble at times.

Last edited by Shanazel; 12-31-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: trying to get my witch to appear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuma View Post
    Yep -- I've enjoyed tossing a bit of Celtic or Celtic Rock at our coffeehouse audience (just one dance surrounded by more traditional fare). There's plenty to work with in them, rhythm-wise. I'm going to bounce some Alanis Morisette lyrics off our instructor to see if they'd be welcome at the coffeehouse or if I need to bring it to the bar where the Urban ATS ladies dance, instead (no swearing, just . . . direct.)
    I'm glad we could steer away from the unpleasantness this thread ran into. Different opinions doesn't always mean a fight has to ensue, sometimes we just need to agree to disagree, and let it go.

I once heard someone say "Fighting on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded." XD You gotta admit, with some arguments, that's absolutely true.

I love Alanis, not so much her later stuff, but her early stuff was amazing. =] I might try that out myself some time. I don't know about how country would work, partially because I'm not very fond of it myself. I have a theory about music and dance. All music has the basic 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 beat. When you dance, any type of dance, has the same basic structure. By simply increasing or decreasing the speed, you can dance to anything with anything. If you've seen someone do the chicken dance to heavy metal, you know what I mean. XD
    Last edited by LunaXJJ; 12-31-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a theory about music and dance. All music has the basic 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 beat. When you dance, any type of dance, has the same basic structure.
    Not sure if I am misunderstanding you here, but there is PLENTY of music and dance that don't have the 1-2-3-4 beat but instead maybe 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 etc
    Even in 1234 music and dance the accent can be on 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 or just on the "and". I think the finess of acknowledging the music in dance is to not just go over it like a marching band 1234, 1234 but to pick up those small differences in beat and rhythm (and melody etc of course, but this was a beat example)
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

I do sometimes practise to 'inappropriate' music, either because it's what I happen to be listening to or as a fun challenge. I don't think I would perform with it though - I did consider it for a while, but decided that it would probably be crap. I'd still like to try to choreograph to something weird at some point, but as a relative newbie it seems better to stick with ME music.

My sinful bellydancing favourites are Gogol Bordello, Gwen Stefani, the Doors, the Birthday Party, Bauhaus and Sex Gang Children. I like dancing to 80s goth/post punk music as there is often quite dense, tribal-sounding drumming and a lot of sudden tempo changes and strange atmospheric noises that are good for doing wavy hand gestures

Post Thanks / Like

I have a theory about music and dance. All music has the basic 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 beat. When you dance, any type of dance, has the same basic structure. By simply increasing or decreasing the speed, you can dance to anything with anything.
    Umm, no, not really. You cannot dance 1 2 3 4 to 3/4 or 5/8 or 7/8 or 9/8 or 10/4 - all common ME time signatures. If you do your dance won't fit the music!

Post Thanks / Like

There's this song in the opening credits of HBO's True Blood. It's "Bad Things" by Jace Everett. Bellydancing to it, I believe, would be sinful - BUT I SO WANT TO!!!

Oh, lovely. Now that it's off my chest, i can go back to my day job...