Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest Slides

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chest Slides

I have been trying chest slides in class and at home. I am having a hard time doing them. Either my hips are going or my shoulders are moving up and down. When I am sitting down on a chair or in my car, I have no problem doing them because my hips are held still. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do them?

Post Thanks / Like

Default chest slides

when my students have problems isolating rib or chest slides,
    I get them to kneel but sitting on their heels on the floor so their hips don't move
    after about 10 repetitions, I have them lift up in a kneeling (praying) position and do another few repetitions// then I hand them 2 or 3 lb hand weights
    to hold their shoulders/arms still while in the same prayer position and do a few
    more chest slides//
    from there - I have them try it standing up
    as soon as their hips start to move again - they start the whole process over
    again// I find this way achieves quick results and my students seem pleased with it as well
    hope this helps you

Post Thanks / Like

I was taught this way: stand in correct posture with arms out sideways at shoulder level, in front of a mirror. Imagine there is a wall to your left and right and you are going to reach (not too far!) towards one then the other but keeping the arms and shoulders level. You don't shift your weight at all - everything below the waist is still. Watch in the mirror and concentrate on keeping the arms and shoulders horizontal while you reach for one wall then the other. Once you get the chest movement you don't need the arms out, but remember to keep the shoulders level.

Post Thanks / Like

My teacher told us to imagine there's a pencil between your breasts and you want to draw a horizontal line with it

Post Thanks / Like

Default chest slides

everyone has their own unique way of learning how to isolate certain parts of their body/ its just a matter of finding the right analogy for that person to get their head around/
    all of the above mentioned certainly work
    try them all or a combination of them to see which ones work for you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenician View Post
    everyone has their own unique way of learning how to isolate certain parts of their body/ its just a matter of finding the right analogy for that person to get their head around
    That is so true.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've been having similar problems......

Hi,

I doubt it's an approved technique , but I found that putting my hands on my ribcage and actually physically moving my ribcage from side to side helped me to understand which muscles I needed to use and what it should feel like.

Orlea x

Post Thanks / Like

I dont seem to have the problem of isolating when just doing the chest slides... side to side or up and down. Until I have to include them in a routine. We are currently doing a drum solo in class and the movements go step down right hip, step down left hip then tilt pelvis forward, then chest lift up, then right chest slide then left chest slide, then chest lift up then chest down.

I can do the slides until I am going double damn time in the drom solo and then the slides kinda end up like a wobble....

I think I just need to keep going and practicing them slowly first.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Up or forward??

Hi,

I can really sympathise. I am also having real problems with being able to tell the difference between chest lift and chest forward. Depending on who is doing/describing them, both moves look/sound the same to me.

I watch one dvd and I just think i've got it, then someone else describes the same move as being the opposite...........aargh!! Not that much is moving either up or forward by more than a few mm at the moment....except my shoulders

Any suggestions?

Orlea x

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou all for your suggestions. I am going to dilligently practice them and use all your advice...Thankyou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast