Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dancer's Arms

Post Thanks / Like

yes i have some suggestions.

military presses
    forward arm claps
    overhead arm claps
    and reverse flies (i think this is the name)

military presses
    hard to describe, perhaps a search will reveal a pic

forward arm claps
    arms shoulder height straight out to side, palms facing to ground
    bring them forward in front of chest

overhead arm claps
    same thing, arms straight, elbows soft
    but bring them overhead, like clapping at a rock concert

reverse flies
    you lie on your belly on a bench and drop your arms down to the side, lift them up and out to side with slight bend in elbow, the movement is initated by pulling shoulder blades together(i think)

the new guy will probably be able to help you find something more effective.
    this is something i do, it seems to work for strengthening the same area.

Post Thanks / Like

Bend forward in a 90° angle stretch your arms forward (so they are parallel with the floor) and try to keep them that way for a while. We have to do that sometimes at yoga and I think it's horrible. I always lower them as fast as possible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuteNurse View Post
    I like working on my finger movements also. I have been doing it in the car whenever possible. (Addict) lol I think I am going to try out my new zills tonight while I am doing laundry. I have a hard time with snake arms because my arms get tired and sore from holding them up. Does anyone have suggestions on how to strengthen your arms so they do not get tired?
    Arms? You should see some of my beginning BD students when they have to hold their arms in basic position for more than a minute...they look as if they are lifting weights. Miss shimmy and Moon has some good suggestions. Additionally I would suggest that you make sure your shoulders are down and not lifted up as you raise or lower your arms. Instead move your arms from your ribcage and upper back as these muscle groups are larger and stronger and they cn support the weight of your arms. I lift weights, plain and simple. No more than 10 lbs and I do several reps with each arm(I work my left arm twice as much) Over time your arms will develop not only stamina but it decrease that tricep 'jiggle' too. I found that when I use swords,veils and Isis Wings, I have greater lift and extension. Of course consistent pratice of any arm movement doesn't either
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

What is "nile, and the falling leaf, and the waterfall ", Charity? I suspect that Nileis a wavelike move, butr what are the others?

Post Thanks / Like

i don't know the nile, but i've learnt the other two.

The falling leaf as i learnt it is a travelling hand undulation. Basically it starts over your head, palm facing a wall and a gently bent arm. As you undulate your hand you also bend your arm so that the hand travels down almost along the side of the face until it reaches about chest level.

the waterfall i find harder to describe. It's travelling hand undulations as well. Starts over your head, both hands facing each other in prayer position but as you start the hand undulations the hands cross each other and as you move the hands down the front of the body you change the direction of the cross - left over right then right over left and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ladies, I learned the waterfall as forward facing snake arms except the elbows do not bend. Start by raising one arm up with fingers pointing down , at about shoulder height flip the hand so the palm faces outward and fingers are pointing upward and then bring down the arm. Alternating arms to resmble painting a wall. Nile hands are another term for snake hands(hand undulations)
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Please come and share your thoughts on the importance of good armwork in belly dancing!
    I think armwork is the finishing touch to the dancing, it accentuates things or frames movements. I am not a fan of floppy armwork, like the type that is comon in Egyptian style (I call it chicken wings) where the dancer holds the arms too relaxedly. It's hard to describe what kind of armwork I prefer, but I think tribal arms are nicer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Ladies, I learned the waterfall as forward facing snake arms except the elbows do not bend. Start by raising one arm up with fingers pointing down , at about shoulder height flip the hand so the palm faces outward and fingers are pointing upward and then bring down the arm. Alternating arms to resmble painting a wall. Nile hands are another term for snake hands(hand undulations)
    Yasmine

i learnt that one as mermaid arms =)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    What is "nile, and the falling leaf, and the waterfall ", Charity? I suspect that Nileis a wavelike move, butr what are the others?
    hi reen. i think this website describes a lot of the moves accurately:

Movements

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you girls for the explanations! Charity this is a great site! Thank you!!!!

Thank you Mya I think I know the moves you are talking about, just had no clue about their names!!

Yasmine's waterfall sounds more complicated though

You girls are awesome!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast