Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Dancer's Arms

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thank you Charity for a nice link! Here are some move descriptions I found there:

Other Arm Movements:

Heart
    This is a pose you do when you want to emphasize how much you love something. You can accomplish it simply by cupping your hand under your left breast.

Soul
    This is a pose you do when you want to emphasize how much somthing touches your soul or moves you in a spiritual way. You can accoplish it simply by cupping your hand over your lower abdomen (generally closer to your side as opposed to the center).

Lebanese Headache
    Using the same basic position of Indian hands, place your pointer finger in the middle of your forehead with your palm up.

Pointing
    Simply point where you want to draw attention.

Turkish Head Frame
    Place the backs of your hands together so that your palms are facing out now keeping hands facing the same directions place palms together. Then raise arms over head.

Head Frame 1
    Place palms together and raise arms over head.

Head Frame 2
    Place left arm out in front of you creating a horizontal line in front of your chest and curve your right arm over your head.

Head Frame 3

Clasp your right elbow in the palm of tour left hand and keep the right arm in a fairly straight vertical line. Keep the left arm in a fairly horizontal line.

Pyramid Head Frame

Touch the tips of your middle fingers toghether and then touch the tips of your thumbs together. Your hands should now resmble the outline of a pyramid or triangle. Now, raise your arms over your head.

How often any of you actually use any of these in your dancing?

Post Thanks / Like

well the head frames we use for head slides.

all the other moves seem like something more for improv. i would not use such heartfelt and soulfoul moves in a rehearsed choreography, it feels a bit contrived...to me that detracts from the depth/meaning of such moves.

Post Thanks / Like

...well as far as cupping the breast and the abdomen and the pyramid head frame. those are very open and honest moves.

the thinker pose, as i call it (head frame 3), i cannot imagine where to incorporate that except in a spot where one is trying to be coy by overting the eyes upward.

oh btw,

i have stopped trying to mimic my teachers arms. we dont have the same body, length, what looks right on her does not look right with me.

i am experimenting with my own "designs". it looks a bit more natural now, i think.
    Last edited by charity; 06-21-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert, but I think the movement of the arms is a key element in making the dance what it is. The fluidity of the motion can make or break the dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    the thinker pose, as i call it (head frame 3), i cannot imagine where to incorporate that except in a spot where one is trying to be coy by overting the eyes upward.
    You can use that one if you forget your choreo...LOL

I struggle to remember if I have seen a lot of 'head frames' except for belly twins dvds...LOL. I think the "temple arms" might be the one I recall I have seen a few times but not with head slides as belly twins teach but with snake hips or similar, suppose it creates elongated bodyline....

Actually the thinker one I have seen a few times with emotional, almost "painful" expression and sort of swaying the head, suppose if it goes in the music to convey suffering or love far away or something....

Post Thanks / Like

I love the heart move. It's nice to cup your hands under the breast and then spread your arms out and up like you're sharing your love or showing the world your heartache, depending on the music. Combine the arm spreading with some lower or upper 8's and it feels very emotional.

And it accentuates your boobs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gisela
    ...and it feels very emotional.

OMG

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post

That if you have WHAT to accentuate...ROFL

Post Thanks / Like

*bump* Someone was looking for gesture thread?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456