Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default belly dance, etc.

Dear Aziyade,
    I have never claimed that ONE style is authentic belly dance. I claim 3: Turkish, Lebanese and Egptian, one in which I have expertise. I have heard some people say that this is about ME thinking only dances I can do are authentic...not true. I can't dance Lebanese belly dance at all and have less than good Turkish technique at this time, though I hope to improve.
    That Jillina clamed to be an Egyptian belly dancer and still might, does to some degree color my feelings, but I also do not really appreciate the harshness, I guess you could say, of her dancing. It is WAY over the top.
    I am afraid I do not know what Sahala is, but I have seen vdieo of her both solo pre-BDSS and have seen her in person. One of my freinds ( Hallah Moustafa) was one of her instructors, so I have reason to slant the other way, but I just don't see her as a good belly dancer. A good dancer perhaps...
    Belly dance is meant to be a solo dance. If one wants to do group dances, there are a whole bunch of folkloric styles to choose from!! Right there many American dancers don't get the feeling and meaning of the authentic dance.
    Nagwa Fouad has do-woppers who come and and prance cutely around for a minute, and then if she is belly dancing, they go away and she dances solo. As For Abdulwahab, I doubt that he was trying to create hoedown music!!

Some people develop a sense of authentic belly dance very soon, before they can actually perform it. Others never do. And for Belly_Dancer, this has nothing at all to do with WHO is judging, but the nature of the dance itself. This is pretty easily proven by dancers being able to look at a clip and say that the dancer is dancing Egyptian, or Turkish or Lebanese, and that it looks somehow different from what the western dancers are doing. These styles are very clearly imprinted on the dancers of origin. On the other hand, Armeican Oriental has many different looks and essences, depending on who is doing it. The same can be said of all the other hundreds of dance styles that are adding "belly dance" to their names.

Dear Belly_Dancer,
    That's nice for you as far a Alexandra King goes. Personally, I will never take another class with her. The video is from a show she did here and is not for sale. If you are ever in Spokane, stop by!! I do not have any professional performance videos out, but do have a short one on my DVD. They are too darn expensive to make!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Quote Originally Posted by belly_dancer View Post
    A'isha writes- I was in a show and took a workshop from Alexandra King about 3 years ago. Her Turkish and her Egyptian dances looked just alike in much of the movement content and all of the essence, and I DO have video. I LOVED Alexandra when I had seen her some 10 years ago doing American Oriental, so I did not go in with any prejudice. I took her workshop and found that she did not give one moment of individual attention, hardly LOOKED at the students and in general just sort of showed us what we were supposed to do; no attention, no feedback, no corrrction, no acknowledgement. I was very disappointed.

I am sorry for your experience A'isha... I have taken MANY workshops from AK, & each time found her fabulous, informative, instructive, with much feed back/plus correction, etc etc.... & would definitely recommend her as an instructor!!!
    what video do you have??? would love to see it... as well as video of you! !

Post Thanks / Like

ok A'isha... how did i miss the fact that you had a dvd out?!?!?!?!?! is it for sale?? would ass-u-me it is instructional.... what level.... ??/ where do I find more about it???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by belly_dancer View Post
    ok A'isha... how did i miss the fact that you had a dvd out?!?!?!?!?! is it for sale?? would ass-u-me it is instructional.... what level.... ??/ where do I find more about it???

Dear Belly_Dancer,
    I have an Egyptian Fundamentals DVD out. It has a short dance and then I give instruction on the 10 basic movements of Egyptian belly dance.
    You can find out more about it and me at www,raqsazar.com. I will be happy to ask any questions you might have about the DVD, but I think there is also a review of it by Adry Svraka somewhere on this site...??? You can also ask Leyla Lanty or Shakira of Ohio about it.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

A'isha, the Sahala dancers are Jillina's troupe outside of the "Superstars" tour, and they have performed with her on several of the IAMED shows. I got used to just calling them "Sahala" -- sorry for the confusion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    A'isha, the Sahala dancers are Jillina's troupe outside of the "Superstars" tour, and they have performed with her on several of the IAMED shows. I got used to just calling them "Sahala" -- sorry for the confusion

Dear Aziyade,
    Thanks for clarifying about Sahala. For some reason, I had tied her to Desert Roses as her other group...???
    You now, we were discussing something on another thread and for some reason, I can't find the darn thing, so I hope I have not left some important issue up in the air or something! (Ah, the joys of early onset Alzhiemer's)
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Default "maya"

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Charity,
    She does not know what it means in Arabic, but in Russian it means "dream or illusion", she thinks.
    Hey guys, great thread!! As for the word "maya", just wanted to let you know that this association with dream or illusion comes from Hindu philosophy, it means illusion in Sanskrit. Maya is the phenomenal world of separate objects and people, which creates for some the illusion that it is the only reality. In Russian "maya" is the pronomen possessivum feminin, like "my car" is "maya mashina". Also there's a river called "Maya" in Siberian Russia.
    Last edited by Yasmina; 05-08-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maya

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmina View Post
    Hey guys, great thread!! As for the word "maya", just wanted to let you know that this association with dream or illusion comes from Hindu philosophy, it means illusion in Sanskrit. Maya is the phenomenal world of separate objects and people, which creates for some the illusion that it is the only reality. In Russian "maya" is the pronomen possessivum feminin, like "my car" is "maya mashina".

Dear Yasmina,
    Thanks for letting me know. I will tell my freind.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I know -- I leave threads lying around all over the place. I'm sorry
    I get all talky, and then I get ADD.

Was it the recommended DVDs thread?

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    You now, we were discussing something on another thread and for some reason, I can't find the darn thing, so I hope I have not left some important issue up in the air or something! (Ah, the joys of early onset Alzhiemer's)
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    I know -- I leave threads lying around all over the place. I'm sorry
    I get all talky, and then I get ADD.

Was it the recommended DVDs thread?

Dear Aziyade,
    I just don't know...???
    Regards,
    A'isha ( I think...)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi A'isha, I just wanted to state that my mom danced with Jodette at the Worlds fair. Her name was Nefertiti. Jodette was her first teacher and she went on to take from many others. I continue teaching in the exact same way I was taught, except for the fact I choreographed every one of the beginning moves, and a second dance to intermediate moves. It is funny, that now days, people don't dance fast like they used to. But when I watch dancers from Lebanon I find my style is still more in that area. I wanted to learn Cane dance, so I bought Jodette's Baladi tape VHF. It really was good, and I found that I picked it up so quickly because her style is still my style of dance. Just a little history for you, memories.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast