Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, dancers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello, dancers!

I am so glad to find a site where I can chat about middle eastern dance. I think my friends and family are getting quite tired of it. I started dancing last June and have become gradually insane. I eat, sleep, breathe belly dancing. I even caught myself doing reverse lower body camels while cooking dinner last night. Has this ever happened to anybody before?

Anyway, really pleased to join your lovely community!

Post Thanks / Like

i shimmy while washing the dishes and chest circles while driving

Post Thanks / Like

I shimmy when brushing my teeth in the morning, and when I'm on the couch watching tv my hands and arms are doing snake arms & hands. (the hardest thing for me to get use to by the way).

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Didi and I am glad we share a common bond. I shimmy while on the telephone, chest slides in the car driving, and I hum a drum solo in the shower! Welcome to the world of BD addicts! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glad to know I'm not alone...

It does feel like an addiction sometimes. But I think it's a passion, not an addiction, and those are much more fun, positive, and inspiring. At least that's what I tell myself whenever I order a new hip scarf or video or sign up for another class!

I tried those chest circles while driving by the way... excellent use of the space usually wasted between you and the steering wheel!

By the way, does anyone have any music recommendations? I'm looking to expand my music collection. I'm getting tired of practicing to the same 6 c.d.s, but I really don't know enough about the various genres to do anything but pick blindly at this point. I do know I love arabic music, especially the female vocalists I've been exposed to so far, I love dancing to taksim alone in my living room (not so great at relaxing into them in class yet; I still feel a bit too self-conscious, I think) and I really like alternative "world" music, which seems to be techno/trance/house-inspired arabic music. It's a nice alternative to the more traditional sounds. Currently taking suggestions...

Post Thanks / Like

Heyyyyy do you think that there's life before bellydance? lol
    Welcome !!!!!!!!!

Maria Aya, Greece

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Healthy addiction belly dancing is

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belly dancing addiction

I have found that the longer I dance, the more I want to. Maybe an addiciton, but a good one.
    I dance in the shower, while 'primping' in the morning, chest circles in the car, shimmies in the kitchen, hip drops/ups from room to room. LOL
    Can't stop myself, it feels so good!

Post Thanks / Like

And that sillylooking walk you get when you listen to arabic music in your mp3, the hips move from side to side and your arms and hands follows.....
    Must be a peculiar sight for other pedestrians who cannot hear the music, they must be wondering what you´re doing!
    I agree, shimming while you cook or brush your teeth is now a regular exercise!

Best regards from Sweden(only two days until Stockholm Bellydancefestival, I can´t wait...)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank y'all so much for the welcome!

Wow... there are belly dancers from all over the world on this forum. England, Greece, Sweden, and the U.S. - Colorado, Honolulu, Minnesota, just in response to my little post.

Thanks to Belly taz, Shirlita, KuteNurse, Nicki, Sevilla, and Maria Aya for the warm welcome. (Hope I didn't leave anyone out.)

How long have you all been belly dancing? Any advice for someone who's just beginning on the path?

Didi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast