Hello, dancers!

Didi

I am so glad to find a site where I can chat about middle eastern dance. I think my friends and family are getting quite tired of it. I started dancing last June and have become gradually insane. I eat, sleep, breathe belly dancing. I even caught myself doing reverse lower body camels while cooking dinner last night. :shok: Has this ever happened to anybody before?

Anyway, really pleased to join your lovely community!

belly taz

i shimmy while washing the dishes and chest circles while driving:lol:

Shirlita

I shimmy when brushing my teeth in the morning, and when I'm on the couch watching tv my hands and arms are doing snake arms & hands. (the hardest thing for me to get use to by the way). :)

KuteNurse

Welcome Didi and I am glad we share a common bond. I shimmy while on the telephone, chest slides in the car driving, and I hum a drum solo in the shower! Welcome to the world of BD addicts! lol

Didi

Glad to know I'm not alone...

It does feel like an addiction sometimes. But I think it's a passion, not an addiction, and those are much more fun, positive, and inspiring. At least that's what I tell myself whenever I order a new hip scarf or video or sign up for another class!:D

I tried those chest circles while driving by the way... excellent use of the space usually wasted between you and the steering wheel!

By the way, does anyone have any music recommendations? I'm looking to expand my music collection. I'm getting tired of practicing to the same 6 c.d.s, but I really don't know enough about the various genres to do anything but pick blindly at this point. I do know I love arabic music, especially the female vocalists I've been exposed to so far, I love dancing to taksim alone in my living room (not so great at relaxing into them in class yet; I still feel a bit too self-conscious, I think) and I really like alternative "world" music, which seems to be techno/trance/house-inspired arabic music. It's a nice alternative to the more traditional sounds. Currently taking suggestions...

Sevilla

Belly dancing addiction

I have found that the longer I dance, the more I want to. Maybe an addiciton, but a good one.
I dance in the shower, while 'primping' in the morning, chest circles in the car, shimmies in the kitchen, hip drops/ups from room to room. LOL
Can't stop myself, it feels so good!

Nicki

And that sillylooking walk you get when you listen to arabic music in your mp3, the hips move from side to side and your arms and hands follows.....
Must be a peculiar sight for other pedestrians who cannot hear the music, they must be wondering what you´re doing!:lol:
I agree, shimming while you cook or brush your teeth is now a regular exercise!

Best regards from Sweden(only two days until Stockholm Bellydancefestival, I can´t wait...)

Didi

Thank y'all so much for the welcome!

Wow... there are belly dancers from all over the world on this forum. England, Greece, Sweden, and the U.S. - Colorado, Honolulu, Minnesota, just in response to my little post.

Thanks to Belly taz, Shirlita, KuteNurse, Nicki, Sevilla, and Maria Aya for the warm welcome. (Hope I didn't leave anyone out.)

How long have you all been belly dancing? Any advice for someone who's just beginning on the path?

Didi:D

Didi

Silly-looking walks can be dangerous...

And that sillylooking walk you get when you listen to arabic music in your mp3, the hips move from side to side and your arms and hands follows.....
Must be a peculiar sight for other pedestrians who cannot hear the music, they must be wondering what you´re doing!:lol:
I agree, shimming while you cook or brush your teeth is now a regular exercise!

Well, I've quit even the teensiest dancing-while-walking movements as a result of an incident a couple of weeks ago. I was waiting for the signal to cross at a small intersection near my house, and I swear I was barely moving my hips, just, you know, that kind of dancing you feel like you can't control... like wiggling a bit while seated when you're watching a great belly dancer and you just can't quite control small vibrations in your muscles in response to the music and the joy of it, but still aware you're in public... and some guys catcalled me hanging out the windows of their car while waiting for the light to change. It was so loud and obnoxious, I heard it over the music in my headphones, and they were really rude, acting like I was a stripper or sth. shaking my "booty" for their benefit. It was embarassing, and I had a line of cars there as a nice audience. So now I listen to non-Arabic tunes while jogging.

Oh, well. Jerks.:rolleyes:

You must tell us all about the Stockholm Bellydance Festival! I'm jealous. I've never been to any festivals or workshops, just local classes with mostly the same people. I've heard that belly dance is big in the Scandinavian countries. Is this true?

Didi

Shirlita

Hi Didi,

I have been dancing for a 1 1/2 yrs now. I have yet to preform. I just joined my teachers troupe over the last month, and will be doing my first preformance in August. ----- a bit on the scared side ----- but I can't wait!

I'm beginning to wonder (worry) about everything, am i doing this right, on your toes, shoulders back, chest out, thumbs in, hip up, and then on top of it all SMILE!!! (my teacher would love me for saying that!!!) oh, and remember the steps!!!

It is very addicting, a great one though. I find myself reading books on it, finding more and more on the internet. Another great place in Tribe.net (I hope I can say that here) And just wanting to meet more and more dancers. I also find myself lately doing chest circles at my desk!!!

Wow!!!!

Glad your here!

zeenat

Eat,Sleep And Breath with Bellydancing.

Hi Didi,
Please to know you.Yes,I have experienced that when I first started about 13 years ago.I played music all day till I drive my family nuts!!! In the car,at home,shimmying in the shower.Sometimes I even dream of choreography,different steps in my sleep,wierd huh!!!!!!!hehehe!!!!!
However,it's all worth it and does pays off.At anything you do in life at something you love,go for it and work hard at it and you will see the best results ahead of you.Don't you think so?I believe so and don't stop,dear.

Happy Shimmies!!!!!!!!
Samra.

Last edited:

Nicki

Answer to Didi-Stockholm BD festival

Yes,Didi, I´ve heard that Stockholm Bellydancefestival is the biggest bd-festival outside Egypt, and was held May 17-20 for the eighth time. Lots of starteachers, three nights of shows and also a competition, it was just great to be there and learn from the best,and people came from a lot of countries to attend workshops or participate in the show.
Read all about it at index and maybe start preparing for a visit next year?:)

Yshka

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

You want advice for a beginner? Well, HAVE FUN and happy dancing/learning!!!:cool:

By the way, another "bellynut" (as Maria likes to call 'em;) ) from the Netherlands here saying hi. That country wasn't on your list yet:lol:
Been addicted for 4 years now. Same as everyone has mentioned goes for me: snakemovements at the computer, while waiting at the trainstation/busstop, ON public transport (well, invisibly contracting muscles lol), at the desk. Shimmies everywhere, dancing around the living room with my sister... hehe, once you start it you can never do without!

See ya around :D

Last edited:

Didi

Cool!

Thanks for the link and info on Stockholm belly dance festival, Nicki. Sounds like it was fun!:dance:

Didi

Didi

Thanks for the welcome!

Yshka (by the way, I like your name), thank you for the warm welcome. And yes, I'm getting the picture that I'm a confirmed "bellynut" without even knowing what one was. It's a relief to find I'm far from alone in this passion!:D

Didi

slinks

from OZ

and yet from another that wasn't on your list, from Down Under.. :)

Welcome, I agree the best part about BD is the enjoyment you get out of it, as you said, I too, live, breath, sleep, talk and buy bellydance so far for over nine years .. my kitchen/dining area are huge so I do a lot of practicing there while waiting for the jug to boil or toast to pop, many a combination for a choreography has been conjured up there :lol: especially entrances. I also dance a bit out side I have a cockatoo who I let out of her cage in the mornings so I go through the same motions I do in the kitchen, I live country so I don't have many neighbours to watch out for :)

Didi

Thank you, Slinks!

Thanks so much for the welcome from Down Under! A great friend of mine has just moved to Brisbane (in December) and she and her husband are loving it, and the Australian people. ;) Sorry to hear about your drought...