Lubna Emam and Khaled Mahmoud...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safran

... are coming to Helsinki in September! And, as Helsinki is like our back yard, I am SO going to seize the opportunity and attending some workshops. But, I do need your advice when it comes to picking the workshops...

I am slighty familiar with both's choreographies, but how are they both as instructors? Do they have some special "thing" why I should attend a specific workshop? I mean, something that I just HAVE TO see? Lubna is teaching Cairo Milaya, Saidi, Haggala technique and Pop Saidi for mixed level. Khaled is doing khaleegi technique, oriental dance, Alexandrian dance and Ghawaze with Sagat. There are also masterclasses.

So, help me out here :)

Maariku

PS: just in case someone from the neighbourhood is also interested, here is a link: http://henni.stc.cx/naseem/kurssit.html

Maria_Aya

Geia sou Maariku :D

Lubna Eman:
Trust me the woman is HARD work, sweating, work work work.
Her teaching style is:
Good warmup (not often when it comes for arab instructors) and then she teach the choreo phrase by phrase. She explain some times the music with it also and its more easy to remember. I've done with her Pop Baladi, which could be used also for Melaya Leyf.
She is great teacher with a program from arab standards (which are usual follow my butt).

Khalled Mahmoud:
I cant be objective with him, I love him so much.
Go for everything he teach he is great great great !!!
Love love love him (remember I'm extra picky when comes to instructors;) )

Maria Aya:)

samsied

I can't compare as I have not taken any workshops with Lubna yet. I have taken a couple of workshops with Khaled Mahmoud.

He is really lovely and a great instructor. I enjoyed both workshops (one beledi and one oriental). He is defiinitely worth studying with!

... are coming to Helsinki in September! And, as Helsinki is like our back yard, I am SO going to seize the opportunity and attending some workshops. But, I do need your advice when it comes to picking the workshops... I am slighty familiar with both's choreographies, but how are they both as instructors? Do they have some special "thing" why I should attend a specific workshop? I mean, something that I just HAVE TO see? Lubna is teaching Cairo Milaya, Saidi, Haggala technique and Pop Saidi for mixed level. Khaled is doing khaleegi technique, oriental dance, Alexandrian dance and Ghawaze with Sagat. There are also masterclasses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Safran

Thanks for your advice as well, Samsied. Appears I will only be able to make it to Helsinki for just one day, I decided to go for Khaled Mahmoud's Alexandrian dance. When I am back, I will let you all know how it was... Or, most probably, how great it was :)

Safran

Reporting after the workshop :)

Hi all! I just arrived from Helsinki this morning and here is as promised... the impressions! The festival started on Friday already, but we only arrived Saturday evening for the dinner. The atmosphere was really nice - we met Finns as well as people from Sweden and even Moscow! We saw a few acts by a local group, some acts from a really cool Swedish dancer (unfortunately I have no idea how her name is spelt), including a very funny "mime" kind of dance and some nice spontaneous dancing. Oh, and not to forget - the food was good ;) And the chef was really cool - he actually let one of the performers to wait in the kitchen before the act, taking pictures of her and exclaiming "I have never seen such a thing in my kitchen!" :D As this was my first international event I was just overwhelmed and gained a whole lot of motivation during that evening already.

On Sunday we attended Khaled's workshop of Alexandrian dance. Maria and Samsied were right indeed - he is a great instructor and also a lot of fun. I liked how he tried to explain the choreography as a scheme or a system, so you'd remember the sequence of different parts. And that before each part he translated what the song says. We were only 6 people in the workshop, so we had enough room to wave around with the mileyas and to get enough attention as well :)

I am sorry that I didn't get the chance to take anything from Lubna Emam though... She seemed such a great person. Well, I guess there is always next time...

Actually, I can't wait until the next festival pops up around here somewhere :)

Maria_Aya

Greattttttttttttt !!!!
I bet the chef was excited lol
Sorry to listen that only 6 people in Khaled's lesson, (ok i would die to have him in so privite lol, instead of the 40 people i had lol) but its sad.
Its wierd.. how some workshops have low people and some others not.
And when it comes in such level instructors its wierder.

karolina

Lubna Emam

Hello from Prague!
I know this message is a bit late, but Lubna is wonderful. Have taken several workshops with her this past spring in Prague and a private session with her in Cairo, and I just love how she makes you work the choreography. So perhaps next time....

Kiraze

Greattttttttttttt !!!!
I bet the chef was excited lol
Sorry to listen that only 6 people in Khaled's lesson, (ok i would die to have him in so privite lol, instead of the 40 people i had lol) but its sad.
Its wierd.. how some workshops have low people and some others not.
And when it comes in such level instructors its wierder.

Yes, I thought this was sad and wierd too. We are just discussing about this on Finnish dance forum and the low attendance seems to be the result of too few professional level dancers and too shy hobbyist level dancers who for many reasons (language, money, geographical distance etc) are hesitant to attend workshops by famous dancers and especially too many dance happenings during a short period of time... Why there are so many happenings NOW at the same time, when normally this time of year is very quiet, is the question I would like to get answer to as most of the dance schools should be quite well aware what others are going to organize and when :confused:

samsied

I am envious that you had such a great workshop! There were much more than 6 in the workshops I took with Khaled. It is a shame more people didn't take advantage of the opportunity. Do you know whether the turn-out for Lubna Emam's workshop was better?

Status
Not open for further replies.