Which is your weak part in bellydance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle

My biggest issue: Choreography
I wasn't a dancer before bellydance and I suck at remembering choreography. I do mean 'suck'. I can make something up to the music if I listen to it for a moment, but if I have to remember a specific series of steps, chaos ensues.

Yshka

Originally Posted by Sara:
I tend to do too much of one and not enough of the other.
I do this too. It's so annoying because sometimes I notice this happening and I can't even get out of it lol.
Also, the hip shimmy (don't know what the term is for this but anyway, the one that moves the hips..) doesn't see to want to come out right sometimes. Once I've got it right it won;t stay right, though other types of shimmy's are fine...

Practise, practise 'n more practise I guess:D

Jessenia

Floor work! I don't know why but I tend to get paralised and I cannot move properly :S
Improvisation was another weak part of my dancing but now I'm practising a lot and now I think I'm getting better :p .. practising is the key for improving!!

Alaya

Hi all.
My problems are: up and down 8 and keeping my heands streight whill shimmying. the rest is more or less the same. I think so anwey. Love, Alaya

WildFire

The Egyptian walk! I can do it now but slooooowly!!! Have to learn how to speed it up! Did anyone else have trouble doing this? Initially I had trouble learning to walk my circles but now I can do it. It was like my feet were planted to the floor and did not want to move.

Scimitar_Moon

Very crisp, sharp movements. I have the kind of body that flows a lot better than it pops.

That, and floorwork. Especially turning. Airplane turns :(.

But I looooooove using the veil. It always came very natural to me, although I did get tangled in it a few times.

Aniseteph

The Egyptian walk! I can do it now but slooooowly!!! Have to learn how to speed it up! Did anyone else have trouble doing this? Initially I had trouble learning to walk my circles but now I can do it. It was like my feet were planted to the floor and did not want to move.

Oh yes! We learnt it as a walk in straight lines rather than on the spot, so moving isn't a problem, but I'm still slow, and it's taken several weeks to get this far. I find it helpful to practise to a simple drum rhythm that starts slow and speeds up gradually. Stop when you lose it and start slow again. Otherwise I suppose you could dig through your music collection to find suitable speeds, and work your way up to faster tempos.

WildFire

Oh yes! We learnt it as a walk in straight lines rather than on the spot, so moving isn't a problem, but I'm still slow, and it's taken several weeks to get this far. I find it helpful to practise to a simple drum rhythm that starts slow and speeds up gradually. Stop when you lose it and start slow again. Otherwise I suppose you could dig through your music collection to find suitable speeds, and work your way up to faster tempos.

Thanks for the tip! As a beginner I would love and appreciate any other advice from you all!
TIA :)

WildFire

Can anyone offer me advice about doing stomach rolls please? I can do "mini" ones hahaha. It's as though I can get the top and middle part of my tummy to do it but I can't get the bottom part! And one more thing...You know when you see people do the rolls and it looks like they've got so much air in the tummy how on earth they do that?! I can't expand my tummy that much! Sorry to be a pain!

Thank you so much!

Shanazel

I have never even done floorwork except with a student performance with my first teacher. I don't like it and it ruins costumes. So this might be a weak part in my dancing and it can stay that way!

Here! Here! I also never felt quite safe doing floor work, especially in venues where the largest part of the audience was male. May be just my paronoia, but I always felt safest on my feet- you get a better head start on the one really drunk male in the audience who always wants to cause problems.;)

Moon

I read this comment on youtube once (unfortunately I can't find back who said it):

"You have to dance like a queen. A queen does not lay on the ground, she stands proudly on her feet."

Zahiraah

My weak part is shimmying while going down; can't quite figure out how to do it right... That one and vibrating with my stomach. I guess these will come out better with some practice.

Leyla

Oh...I'm an awkward dancer so I still have a lot of weak parts (but I hope I will improve with will and exercise! :) ) but I think my greatest problems are:
- zills : they absolutely don't reciprocate my love for them
- bellyrolls and flutters (exercise needed !!!!!!!)
- dance on the half tip (I've to improve my balance)

Erina

Im quite new to belly dancing and I find shimmying hard (its challenging when you have nothing to shimmy :rolleyes: ); and the camel, once again my muscles really get strained- maybe I should just put on a coupla pounds and that'd make me feel happier ;)

lylyth

I suck on rib isolations – it feels like my bib cage is made out of wood. And after I had my daughter my belly muscles seam to have gone for a long journey somewhere else, far away from may body. But as I love dancing so much, I hope that with practice all will come on its right place. One day or another……

belly taz

my camel...sometimes its with me but most times it just runs off,i cant get a nice flow i need lots more practise

Miss_Winnii

I once had my left knee heavily bruised and I still notice its much more stiff then my right one, so my corkscrewes and flat 8ts dont look the same at the other side...
And Head slides...And Derwish...I still get sick of that, after 3 motnhs of practicing... and remebering choreographies

Status
Not open for further replies.