Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest issue: Choreography
    I wasn't a dancer before bellydance and I suck at remembering choreography. I do mean 'suck'. I can make something up to the music if I listen to it for a moment, but if I have to remember a specific series of steps, chaos ensues.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Sara:
    I tend to do too much of one and not enough of the other.
    I do this too. It's so annoying because sometimes I notice this happening and I can't even get out of it lol.
    Also, the hip shimmy (don't know what the term is for this but anyway, the one that moves the hips..) doesn't see to want to come out right sometimes. Once I've got it right it won;t stay right, though other types of shimmy's are fine...

Practise, practise 'n more practise I guess

Post Thanks / Like

Floor work! I don't know why but I tend to get paralised and I cannot move properly :S
    Improvisation was another weak part of my dancing but now I'm practising a lot and now I think I'm getting better :P .. practising is the key for improving!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all.
    My problems are: up and down 8 and keeping my heands streight whill shimmying. the rest is more or less the same. I think so anwey. Love, Alaya

Post Thanks / Like

The Egyptian walk! I can do it now but slooooowly!!! Have to learn how to speed it up! Did anyone else have trouble doing this? Initially I had trouble learning to walk my circles but now I can do it. It was like my feet were planted to the floor and did not want to move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Very crisp, sharp movements. I have the kind of body that flows a lot better than it pops.
    That, and floorwork. Especially turning. Airplane turns .

But I looooooove using the veil. It always came very natural to me, although I did get tangled in it a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildFire View Post
    The Egyptian walk! I can do it now but slooooowly!!! Have to learn how to speed it up! Did anyone else have trouble doing this? Initially I had trouble learning to walk my circles but now I can do it. It was like my feet were planted to the floor and did not want to move.
    Oh yes! We learnt it as a walk in straight lines rather than on the spot, so moving isn't a problem, but I'm still slow, and it's taken several weeks to get this far. I find it helpful to practise to a simple drum rhythm that starts slow and speeds up gradually. Stop when you lose it and start slow again. Otherwise I suppose you could dig through your music collection to find suitable speeds, and work your way up to faster tempos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Oh yes! We learnt it as a walk in straight lines rather than on the spot, so moving isn't a problem, but I'm still slow, and it's taken several weeks to get this far. I find it helpful to practise to a simple drum rhythm that starts slow and speeds up gradually. Stop when you lose it and start slow again. Otherwise I suppose you could dig through your music collection to find suitable speeds, and work your way up to faster tempos.

Thanks for the tip! As a beginner I would love and appreciate any other advice from you all!
    TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone offer me advice about doing stomach rolls please? I can do "mini" ones hahaha. It's as though I can get the top and middle part of my tummy to do it but I can't get the bottom part! And one more thing...You know when you see people do the rolls and it looks like they've got so much air in the tummy how on earth they do that?! I can't expand my tummy that much! Sorry to be a pain!

Thank you so much!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar_Moon View Post
    That, and floorwork.
    I have never even done floorwork except with a student performance with my first teacher. I don't like it and it ruins costumes. So this might be a weak part in my dancing and it can stay that way!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast