Which is your weak part in bellydance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihrimah Ghaziya

Fluttering the belly... Hm, I can do it only while sitting on a chair! Strange...

I love doing florr work on the other hand, I always find an occasion to go down to the floor!

Mihrimah Ghaziya

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
How did I miss this thread?

Probably too busy over in the male dancers section debating life, the universe, and all that stuff! ;)

What am I weak on?

Lots of stuff - the list is far longer than what I'm good at! Like several others, I'm a bit weak on pops and sharp movements, I'm another "round flowy" dancer. I'm "ok" on sharp stuff, but could use some improvement.

Floorwork? Love it, but I'm not good at it. Not flexable enough, and bony knees/ankles/feet hurt! I'll do a small amount kneeling/sitting back with a veil sometimes.

Shimmies are difficult. I can do a decent 3/4 shimmy, a rather sloppy "3/4 twist-down" shimmy, an excellent "Ghawazee" (micro-twisting) shimmy, but suck at Egyptian shimmies. I can do them reasonably well (NOW!), but cannot start one "instantly" so I can seldom use them in performance. This said, I picked up a new class/teacher several months ago - she's done more for my shimmies than everyone else combined!

Shoulder shimmies are fine, but that was a learing curve too - once I found the muscles in question, the ones on the left side were non-existant and had to be trained up.

Choreos are the bane of my existance - I *much* prefer improv. Someone else said "Mass chaos ensues". Yea, add me to that list...

Isolations are always a struggle, and of course the hardest thing of all: Arms. They're my #1 weak spot. I've been guilty of "Robbery victim arms" more times than I care to confess...

Flutters and belly rolls - with my weak abs? You gotta be kidding me! This said, they *are* better, way better than they used to be. Nothing I'll show off outside a dance class, but progress of a sort is being made!

I'm sure I can think of more...

For those who are veil challenged, if you haven't seen my article on the subject, here it is!:

http://www.doubleveil.net/veildancer.htm

Suhad

How did I miss this thread?

Isolations are always a struggle, and of course the hardest thing of all: Arms. They're my #1 weak spot. I've been guilty of "Robbery victim arms" more times than I care to confess...[/url]

That's hilarious, and pretty much what mine seem to look like a lot of the time too! That's my instructor's chief bane regarding me lately (she finally got me to "straighten up!" and now this)!

Dragonwings

Right now my weakest point is shimmies, I can do slower ones, but I need a lot of work on moving faster. :p I think I'm getting better, I just need more practice.

Ludmilla

All -- These are many interesting tips and since so many have trouble w/ shimmies - such a basic part of our dance form -- although, far be it for me, not that capable and just learning, student, BUT largely from other threads here, I have gotten such helpful advice on instructional DVD's, I thought might just reiterate some of that here -- (and many thanks again to those who advised me on this) -- Leyla Jouvana's "21 Shimmies and 1001 Variations" instructional DVD, and Ansuya's Lavish Layers -- From your advice, I got them both (although I am not normally a great DVD advocate.) These DVD's have helped me immensely. Even having really good teachers, somehow, after even few yrs of classes, now watching, and practicing along, many many times over a few weeks w/ Leyla and now , ANsuya (the layer drill covers freeze shimmy - and explains/drills, very well - which is the one she uses for layering) -- also got the Suhaila Buns workout DVD, and that helps so much w/ shimmies, too-- (esp Suhaila's 'hip or glute-driven' shimmy style). (I have found finding 1001 ways to do a shimmy helps find the muscles and see that there are different ones that may work better at different times... (such as if you are bending down, or on relevee, etc) - JAlso what I learned from DVD's is that it is so important also to note WHERE your weight is when doing a shimmy -- it is (for me) a seldom-heard part of the equation, that I was so glad to have addressed in some of the explanation, that is a small point, but very effective...So for those who want more shimmy practice and help -- I so recommend these DVD's (esp Leyla's which is the first one I got -- it covers so many types, she explains and demonstrates well) -- AND I just wanted to say that I am a total convert as to IAMED DVD's the quality of instruction, production and the organization of the instructional material on these particular DVD's is, I find, really excellent, for me at least -- I know these things cost a lot, but since they can be watched umpteen times, I find it so worthwhile and for practice at home such a godsend!! That is my tip although of course, take w/ grain of salt, sand, or whatever because I don't like to recommend something that works so w3ell for me and for someone else it may fall flat, and w/ the cost of these -- but I feel no one single "method" or rule works -- for me it has been a combination of lots of excellent tips from these various renowned teachers (on these DVD's) -- ......................but thought I'd try to offer this w/ the other excellent tips from you, and to those who mentioned some shimmy challenges (there may be "one right way" to do these, but it seems many excellent teachers/dancers do the same thing a few different ways, or put their slant on how to explain it)--- Ludy

Last edited:

elle21

Good thread except...

I clicked on with one 'weakness' in mind, and having read through the 5 pages of posts, my list has now expanded to about 5 pages and I'm feeling terribly insecure: yeah, my shimmy sucks, i'm lop-sided with a stronger right hip, my arms tend to take on their own life, I hate and despise my blubbery belly (not so much a dance weakness as a general chocolate weakness!), my best part of veil is dropping it, I rush around too quickly, I trip myself over when I try to do a graceful turn, zills don't go there, my posture sags if I don't keep an eye on it...

I'm off to go hang up my bedlah and retire from bellydancing forever!:eek:

:)p not really, would be like quitting breathing!)

Ludmilla

Elle 21 -- I really know the feeling -- it seems so overwhelming sometimes (like learning Arabic, Chinese, Sanskrit - a language that scholars w/ Phd's spend their lives learning) and at those times, I tell myself it is a process, a walk of 1000 miles has to start w/ one step -- isn't it great that this dance form has longevity and great health benefits, so the years or decades to learn 'pile up' after some time -- Please hang in there, and just address one shimmy at a time -- Every dancer no matter how great probably feels she has some imperfections. (I also try to tell myself that rather than perfectionism, enjoyment from dancing is more what seems productive) -- Just a thought, and I'm w/ you, but trying to be positive about one's progress a day at a time can help in a slump time...Sorry if this sounds pompous....I've been there and thank goodness I did not pack it in, but have now tended to practice each day and the discovery of a new move, new secret or aha of finally 'getting' it are worth the effort:: :D I can't say I have "results" from this, but one day, I plan to wake up and have made progress...

Mariesaffron

For all that are too worry about weaknesses; let me out you at easse. very famous Dancers like Samia Gamal Tahia Cairoca, didn't use too many props, however it is good to know at least 2 or 3 so you are more likekley to be popular, I do floorwork, of course I do not do it in restaurants, but in venues that are more apreciative, veils; I can not conceive this Dance veiless, a belly gram without a veil is not a belly gram, Zills? you have to be kidding, imagine Naima Akef with no Zills, I do have weakness, who do not? mines are not Balancing for sure. love Marie

Mariesaffron

Can anyone offer me advice about doing stomach rolls please? I can do "mini" ones hahaha. It's as though I can get the top and middle part of my tummy to do it but I can't get the bottom part! And one more thing...You know when you see people do the rolls and it looks like they've got so much air in the tummy how on earth they do that?! I can't expand my tummy that much! Sorry to be a pain!

Thank you so much!

WildFire,stomach rolls are called belly rolls, here is the tecnique,bended knees, arms like trying to put the shoulder blade together,in that position, push forward, up, back, and roll it down; another belly roll is; bended knees suck the lower part of the stomach in, rib cage down, then up and relese, don't do this one like Zhekas because is different.

elle21

Elle 21 -- I really know the feeling -- it seems so overwhelming sometimes (like learning Arabic, Chinese, Sanskrit - a language that scholars w/ Phd's spend their lives learning) and at those times, I tell myself it is a process, a walk of 1000 miles has to start w/ one step -- isn't it great that this dance form has longevity and great health benefits, so the years or decades to learn 'pile up' after some time -- Please hang in there, and just address one shimmy at a time -- Every dancer no matter how great probably feels she has some imperfections. (I also try to tell myself that rather than perfectionism, enjoyment from dancing is more what seems productive) -- Just a thought, and I'm w/ you, but trying to be positive about one's progress a day at a time can help in a slump time...Sorry if this sounds pompous....I've been there and thank goodness I did not pack it in, but have now tended to practice each day and the discovery of a new move, new secret or aha of finally 'getting' it are worth the effort:: :D I can't say I have "results" from this, but one day, I plan to wake up and have made progress...

That's really sweet Ludmilla, thanks for the support. Not really gonna quit, and I know practice will make perfect over time so not really that bummed, just wish I had twenty years of experience NOW! Hate waiting, so impatient! Maybe someone can invent a potion or something...?

Ludmilla

Elle21 -- I am so with you on that! (potion for 20 yrs experience, instantly...) But I have had to be really philosophical about it, and take one day at a time. Thanks for your comment tho' because it's sometimes maybe a "mind over matter" thing, and it isn't the individual move itself to be 'conquered', but the ebb and flow of inspriation, or motivation or energy..... (when I realize this may not be "fun" all the time, I do better because getting to practicing every day can seem like "work" sometimes, but as a wise person once said, "Keep your eye on the prize" -- and as w/ any art, I keep telling myself that the process in fact is part of the mastery of it. (if it could be instantly attained, where would the artistry be?) --- It is a challenge for me every day, too and I just feel that the Muscles Muse has to finally take pity on me, and let those legs and hips free, to go for it! Thank you all for this forum ... where else can you have a "Belly Dancer's Anonymous" rap session like this.?.............................Many greetings, hugs, etc. :D -- Ludy--

Shayna

my weakest of the weak is ZILLS. they hate me and i hate them!!! my other problem are my hands. One problem that i will say is my right hand gets lazy and looks lazy!

PhysicsFairy

I have been trying to master Egyptian walk for over a year now. I didn't think I had had real specific weakness, apart from generally improving my technique. But, I think that it's safe to say that the Egyptian walk could be considered my biggest weakness. My teacher would certainly agree with me on this!!

gwinity

Out of all the moves and steps that I'm learning, my most loathed one, the one I simply cannot do, is the choo-choo/lame duck travelling step. (The link shows them as different steps, but the description of the "lame duck" fits what my teacher calls the choo-choo). Reverse isn't an issue - I love the reverse choo-choo, but the regular one is a nightmare.

I'll blame my bad knee. :D

DancerAU

I am still a beginner so I guess my weak points are not much worse than my strong points ;), but I have the idea that my weak points are:

- dancing with veil (although I only had 2 veil lessons so maybe it's not that bad)
- INPROVISING :(

LOL!!! I've only had 2 lessons so far too so I have no strong points yet. But so far when I do get on a roll I can't keep the concentration to keep the roll going. I always break. i guess that will only improve with more lessons :D

It is loads of fun no matter what.
Kathy

DancerAU

I have been trying to master Egyptian walk for over a year now. I didn't think I had had real specific weakness, apart from generally improving my technique. But, I think that it's safe to say that the Egyptian walk could be considered my biggest weakness. My teacher would certainly agree with me on this!!

I am only just learning this too. Been practicing all week but I got a bad feeling my technique is probably all wrong. Soon find out on Thursday when we show our teacher how much we remember:eek:
Kathy

DancerAU

Hi all.
My problems are: up and down 8 and keeping my heands streight whill shimmying. the rest is more or less the same. I think so anwey. Love, Alaya

This topic has been a very good thread. Moves I have thought should be too easy for me to stuff up, but I do anyway, well I am not alone. I would have been too embarassed to ask, believing no body would find it difficult like me. But, sounds like lots of people are having fun.

My teacher says you'll never know when it just comes to you. One day you'll be just doing it right without thinking about it, and you'll be wondering, "How on earth did I do that?" LOL.

I been trying to practice upward figure 8 too. My teacher told us to draw a BIG number 8 on a large piece of cardboard and stand it up in front of you and get your hips to follow the 8. It sounds easy but I know it isn't. I can't keep my feet down flat.
Kathy

Moon

DancerAU said:
I been trying to practice upward figure 8 too. My teacher told us to draw a BIG number 8 on a large piece of cardboard and stand it up in front of you and get your hips to follow the 8. It sounds easy but I know it isn't. I can't keep my feet down flat.
Kathy
That's a nice idea of your teacher. About keeping your foot flat, for me it makes a huge difference when I bent my knees just a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.