Which is your weak part in bellydance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charity

i've had time to think of this, my weakness is my lack of greatness in all my moves.:(

well i'm only on my 2nd class, so i dont know my weaknesses yet. waiting for someone to tell me though. :)

Ranya

flutters!!! they make me crazy...I manage to control my diaphragm a bit, thanks to my former singing class teacher with whom we really drilled diaphragm control...but it was only SLOW movements! so I can make it move (like really suck it in and I am not doing it with respiration), but there's no flutter!!! :(

charity

with such little experience its hard to say what my weaknesses are.

after a month, i am already finding head slides to be very difficult, as well as forward shoulder rolls. perhaps this works the same muscle group.

for arms my teach says to pretend we are hugging a big tree, but i find myself being the tree. my arms are very stiff if they are in neutral position for too long.

but glad to report my concentration ticks have gone away for most part, i finally learned to relax into proper posture (just in time too since i started classes). so posture is one less thing i have to focus on and that helps.

i think that covers it, for now.

Mandii

:mad: I have the worst time Improvising, I always leave the stage thinking, why didnt I do this? how could I have forgotten that? I get nervous unless I know the music well, but even if I know the music I feel I forget to do something.

I also have what is called "lazy arms" I know the movement but unless I am concentrating on my arms, they just look sloppy.
:mad:

Working on both...but it takes time!

Moon

I recently discovered I have one active arm (left) and one passive arm (right), though I'm right-handed :confused:

Mouse

I have a passive arm too! :lol: Mine is my left though. I broke my elbow joint a few years ago and it doesn't quite have the same range of movement as my right and tends to get sloppy or lifeless when I'm tired.

speckie

Being sharp, especially in arm and hands movement. My teacher is much concerned that my body is too soft for our next cheography in Afro style. :confused:

gwinity

My weakness is most definitely spins. I'm fast - very fast, and can't seem to slow down at all!

And my face. Still photos make me look like I'm in pain, and that dancing is the most excruciatingly horrible thing I could be doing, when I feel the exact opposite. Maybe I need a yashmak... :think:

Eve

:think: with much thought, I've decided I'm not sure what I'm weak at. I don't mean that to say I have no weak points.
Are we talking about things we struggle with because they don't mentally click or things that we know we would get if only we practiced? Are we even the best judge?
I know I can get tense which affects the movement and as Mandii has written, if I'm tense and improving it can be hellish as you feel like you can't remember a single step, I know my arms can drift up a little, I'm reasonably flexible so I can push my body out more than I need to, I'm a fatass that's a weakness:lol:

Will have to harass my teacher to tell me what I suck at and need to go away and work on.:cool:

Moon

Weakest point now: turns. Not that I mastered the rest, but with other aspects I think I will get better when I get more experienced. With turns I have the feeling I'll just never get it :( Too fast dizzy, too weak stomach.

Shanazel

Can you do even one or two turns without getting dizzy? If so, that's plenty- you don't have to be able to do endless dervish spins with head flips in order to dance nicely.

Moon

I think I can even manage 3 Shanazel :D But I'm just jealous of others... and I hate the Vienna waltz...

sedoniaraqs

I can spin forever counterclockwise, but I seem to have trouble spinning clockwise. I'm not very good at barrel turns.

I can play finger cymbals to simple folkloric or pop music, but it changes how I dance. I'd love to be able to play complex patterns in oriental dancing like Artemis Mourat.

I can layer shimmies over some moves but not others, and not as effortlessly as I'd like. I can shimmy over vertical figure eights easily but have trouble shimmying over a big hip circle, and I'm only so-so at shimmying with undulations.

In general, I usually opt to perform to juicy Oum Kalthoum music or something, at the expense of dancing to drum solos, so I feel my drum solo skills are lacking. I'd rather shimmy to an oud taqsim than a drum solo. I've been trying to make myself more enthused about drum solos.

I can't shoulder shimmy while doing a horizontal figure 8 very well.

I can't flutter my tummy very well (not motivated to work on it either) and I can only do isolated belly rolls from the bottom upwards, and the roll never seems to extend all the way down to my lower abs. I'm not very motivated to work on this either, as it's not done all that much in Egyptian dance.

Sedonia

Ranya

I wrote before that bellyflutters are my weak point...in the meantime I somehow managed to have some acceptable flutter going on. So I found myself a new weak point! HAHA :-D
It is also zills. I manage to play very simple patterns, but I am still not comfortable at playing and dancing at the same time...BUT I am practicing and practicing and....aaah, one day it will work.

Farasha Hanem

Walking shimmies

Since I am new to bellydance, pretty much everything is my weak point, but what I'm working on right now is my walking shimmy. I do really well when in one spot, but as soon as I try to walk with it, I lose it! :lol: However, I'm working on it, and even though it's slow going, I think I'm beginning to make a little progress. What I've been doing is, when I go about my daily house routine, I try to walk with my shimmy from one room to the next! It's a little slow, but I think it's starting to pay off. Just one unsolicited word of advice: don't try to walk with your shimmy to the bathroom---I got a bit of a belly ache from my insides sloshing around! :confused::rolleyes::lol:

Jane

Wow! I'm collecting quite a list:
-right side dom.
-pops & locks are sloppy
-vert. 8s are sloppy
-work on general sloppyness
-omis, I have to think to do them
-back bends stink
-I get distracted easily during choreography
-I need more definition between my styles when improving, it all looks generic

Mandii

Well I definatly have my fair share of weeknesses.
-Choreography!!!!! :think:
I pick a song than for some reason I just cant make myself work with it
-turns...if I turn more than 2 times I am likely to be on the floor
-ARMS my goal is to really pay attention to my arms they just look...lazy...ick
-Zills-I sound like a broken alarm clock:pray: help

Wulpsie

Shoulder shimmies arg I hate them and really battle with them. Any tips please. I have tried the bra stap pulling method but bum still shakes. being a 38 E cup does not help matters
Head slide - look like a deformed chicken (sorry chickens):)

Status
Not open for further replies.