Post Thanks / Like

Question Bellydance Competitions ?

I thought we had a thread on this already, but I can't find it.

I'm considering doing Shakira's (OH) Personal Best Competition this year to get some professional feedback.

Has anyone here done the competition thing, especially this one, and did you find the judges' comments worth the entry fee?

I have no delusions about "winning" -- although I would like to see what the judges consider a winning performance. I'm just really looking to get some critical opinions of my dancing at this stage, and see where I need to go to take it to a different level. Do you think that's a reasonable expectation for a regional competition?

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just say that this is my FAVORITE competition name EVAH!
    Personal Best really captures the spirit of competition as I see it--not to be the QUEEN GODDESS BELLYDANCER OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM, but to strive to push YOUR limits. KUDOS to Shakira for the great theme!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aziyade, What a coincidence! I'm also interested in entering the Personal Best Contest too this year!!! However I haven't found any info about the contest this year. I agree with TribalDancer, I think Shakira's contest exemplifies the true spirit of Oriental dance. I hope to meet you in person since I'm a great admirer of yours.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not competition-ready, but I must say I dig the theme. "Personal Best" sounds like something to keep in the back of my mind for later.

Here's hoping you ladies will enter, have a blast, and give us the scoop!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering it -- I'm not sure I'm actually ready to DO it. LOL

I have a problem and that's "big fish in small pond" syndrome. I'm one of about two people in this town who dances "professionally" -- meaning I'll dance at your wedding or bridal shower. My students are always telling me how great I am, and I get a good response from other dancers in larger areas, but I KNOW I'm sadly lacking in sooooo many areas.

There is no "advanced" class for me to attend, so I make do with workshops, private lessons, and dvds and practice lists. But I don't feel that I'm getting truly honest feedback -- I'm not expecting someone to say "oh you suck," but after watching some performance vids from the last year, I'm starting to think that AT BEST I'm just adequate, and I want to go to the next level.

I have a really high energy level which everyone comments on after a live show -- but I don't see that energy reflected on video. I know some dancers who suffer from that, and I don't want to be one! Just this morning I watched a performance from this time last year, and what the HECK?! I had propeller hands, lackluster movements, and the whole thing looked sloppy. Admittedly, I KNEW right after I did that performance that it was lousy, but I didn't realize HOW lousy.

SO -- the big issue for me now is I think maybe I THINK I'm a way better dancer than I really am, and I'd like to get some help BEING the dancer I think I am, or the dancer I want to be.

It's amazingly hard to judge yourself. I'm never sure if when I think I suck, I ACTUALLY suck, or if it's just me being hormonal...

PLUS, I'd hate to let down Yasmine, and have her think "Oh this chick is awful! what's up with that?"

wow, long answer. I do hope to make it to this competition, though, if I can get up the nerve to put something together. I hope to see you Yasmine!!!