Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Makeda Maysa View Post
    Is that the one you recently rocked at the BOCAFest? If so, it's gorgeous!
    YEP!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Makeda Maysa View Post
    Is that the one you recently rocked at the BOCAFest? If so, it's gorgeous!
    Like the black and silver in your profile. Gives me ideas

Post Thanks / Like

So I thought I'd answer Shanazel's original post which started this discussion, straight up.

As a dancer, I love self expression, and to entertain. Belly dance movement is an important part.

As a choreographer, I use everything in my movement "arsenal," eventually. Belly dance movement is an important part.

And that's it, in a nutshell. Ancillary satisfaction comes from appreciating the vibrant "culture" of belly dance, which I believe has expanded far beyond whatever original boundaries existed in its original ME milieu. I respect the ME origins, but won't be driven by, or creatively enslaved to them. And I don't see any gender restrictions either, except in the minds of the narrow minded. Shanazel, you're obviously not narrow minded, just trying to understand. I don't think our reasons for dancing are any different, at heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Recnadocir View Post
    So I thought I'd answer Shanazel's original post which started this discussion, straight up.

As a dancer, I love self expression, and to entertain. Belly dance movement is an important part.

As a choreographer, I use everything in my movement "arsenal," eventually. Belly dance movement is an important part.

And that's it, in a nutshell. Ancillary satisfaction comes from appreciating the vibrant "culture" of belly dance, which I believe has expanded far beyond whatever original boundaries existed in its original ME milieu. I respect the ME origins, but won't be driven by, or creatively enslaved to them. And I don't see any gender restrictions either, except in the minds of the narrow minded. Shanazel, you're obviously not narrow minded, just trying to understand. I don't think our reasons for dancing are any different, at heart.
    He's lying! Its the beer! We do it for the peanuts and the free beer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post
    He's lying! Its the beer! We do it for the peanuts and the free beer!
    Isn't it great when you really understand the deep motivations of your innermost soul?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Having produced two ten and a half pound babies via natural childbirth, I always get a hysterical urge to laugh whenever someone brings up the "imitate childbirth" thing. I cannot recall a single thing I did while pushing those human Tonka trucks out that looked (or felt) anything like what I do while dancing. (Oh, heavens, here comes the hysterical laughter... excuse me while I get myself under control.) No shoulder shimmies, no graceful belly rolls, no mayas, no sweet and sexy little smiles for my husband or the OB-Gyn... And I sure the hell would've been thrown off stage had I demonstrated my superior baby-pushing-out abilities during a dance.
    I'm laughing so hard right now I can probably push out a 10 lb baby too and I ain't even pregnant!!!!LMAO
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Recnadocir View Post

Shanazel, you're obviously not narrow minded, just trying to understand. I don't think our reasons for dancing are any different, at heart.
    Would someone please strangle this thread, or at least take my name OFF? The thead spun off from another thread- I did not originate it, but here a year later, it comes back to haunt me.

Rick, this particular thread was resurrected a long time after I worked my way through this prejudice and wrote my famous "In which she admits she was misguided" thread, which I am about ready to resurrect in an attempt to put this one to sleep again. I get it! I get it! The Scarlet Question Mark was ripped from my bosom (OUCH) long ago. I am a new woman, wholly recovered from my youthful folly. I have been reborn, recovered, seen the light, repented, cast away doubt, been washed in the blood of Agnes Dei-ance. I embrace my brother dancers, yea even unto occasional hero worship. I once was lost but now am found (by man's best friend, the nooooble hound- any PDQ BAch fans out there?). I believe, brother, I believe!

Can I please return to quiet anonymity now?
    Last edited by Shanazel; 06-02-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Halle-LU-jah Sister! Praise be!

Post Thanks / Like

Rico!!!
    Dont worry shanazel we know you have seen the light now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast