Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    OOOHHH...OOOHHHH, and Dear Zorba,
    I found a 1998 about 15 minute video clip of Aziz in my stuff the other day, that I did not even know I had. If ever you get up Spokane way you can come over and see it!!
    Regards,
    A.
    I'd *LOVE* to see that! Aziz, from the one video I've seen of him, most closely approaches my own dance philosophy. Any chance of digitizing it (the clip)?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aziz

Dear Zorba,
    I am a techno-moron.... can you tell me how to do it?? I would not feel okay about putting it up anywhere publicly, because tehcnically even though I do own the rights and all, I would not do it without his permission because I love him and would not disrespect our friendship. Can you email me privately?
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I'm emailing you now...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aziz

Dear Zorba,
    Okay!!,
    Regards,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I'm emailing you now...

Post Thanks / Like

um just to add my twopence worth. If you research the origins of belly dance you will find that men and women both participated in the act and so it stands to reason that modern day men can belly dance too, as odd as it may seem. Hey, just do what I do "it's foreign so parts of it are strange" that's what attracted me to it and that's what keeps me non predjudice about guys doing it. :P

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like male belly dancers, because, i think, the belly dancne is dance for girls and womens, it is no for mans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue rose View Post
    I don't like male belly dancers, because, i think, the belly dancne is dance for girls and womens, it is no for mans.
    Ah, Blue Rose, you are entitled to your opinion, but let me say...have you seen how some of these guys dance? There are so many breath-takingly good male dancers. Look around in this very same thread - there are dozens of video clips... Check them out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Males dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Blue rose View Post

Dear Blue Rose,
    Your sentiment is echoed by most of the Arab and Muslim population. Nevertheless, there have probably always been male belly dancers since the dance's beginnings, and hopefully, always will be. While the dance has a feminine spirit, this does not mean it is the property of women alone.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, my, goodness, who resurrected this thread??????? I surrendered to reason long ago, put my thoughts and mea culpas in writing, and hoped the thread had died a proper death.

PLease see somewhere, "In which Shanazel admits she was misguided" and start a new why do men belly dance thread so that I am not thrust back into embarassing flashbacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Among primitive cultures (if I may be permitted to use the term) it is not unusual for men to perform dances which imitate the pangs and undulations of pregnant women who are having difficult births. This show of empathy for the pain endured by wives probably is what evolved into male belly dance.

Don't laugh now but, decades ago it was alleged that certain women had what was called penis envy. Historically, there is no precedent for this myth. However, science has proven that certain men have had womb envy (this is not the same as Horney's pseudo scientific claim). Don't know too much on the subject anymore as I no longer read much on it. But suffice it to say that this show of empathy is the possible origin of male BD.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast