Why do males dance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recnadocir

So I thought I'd answer Shanazel's original post which started this discussion, straight up.

As a dancer, I love self expression, and to entertain. Belly dance movement is an important part.

As a choreographer, I use everything in my movement "arsenal," eventually. Belly dance movement is an important part.

And that's it, in a nutshell. Ancillary satisfaction comes from appreciating the vibrant "culture" of belly dance, which I believe has expanded far beyond whatever original boundaries existed in its original ME milieu. I respect the ME origins, but won't be driven by, or creatively enslaved to them. And I don't see any gender restrictions either, except in the minds of the narrow minded. Shanazel, you're obviously not narrow minded, just trying to understand. I don't think our reasons for dancing are any different, at heart.:cool:

Tarik Sultan

So I thought I'd answer Shanazel's original post which started this discussion, straight up.

As a dancer, I love self expression, and to entertain. Belly dance movement is an important part.

As a choreographer, I use everything in my movement "arsenal," eventually. Belly dance movement is an important part.

And that's it, in a nutshell. Ancillary satisfaction comes from appreciating the vibrant "culture" of belly dance, which I believe has expanded far beyond whatever original boundaries existed in its original ME milieu. I respect the ME origins, but won't be driven by, or creatively enslaved to them. And I don't see any gender restrictions either, except in the minds of the narrow minded. Shanazel, you're obviously not narrow minded, just trying to understand. I don't think our reasons for dancing are any different, at heart.:cool:

He's lying! Its the beer! We do it for the peanuts and the free beer!

Having produced two ten and a half pound babies via natural childbirth, I always get a hysterical urge to laugh whenever someone brings up the "imitate childbirth" thing. I cannot recall a single thing I did while pushing those human Tonka trucks out that looked (or felt) anything like what I do while dancing. (Oh, heavens, here comes the hysterical laughter... excuse me while I get myself under control.) No shoulder shimmies, no graceful belly rolls, no mayas, no sweet and sexy little smiles for my husband or the OB-Gyn... And I sure the hell would've been thrown off stage had I demonstrated my superior baby-pushing-out abilities during a dance.:lol::lol:
I'm laughing so hard right now I can probably push out a 10 lb baby too and I ain't even pregnant!!!!LMAO
Yasmine

Shanazel

Shanazel, you're obviously not narrow minded, just trying to understand. I don't think our reasons for dancing are any different, at heart.:cool:

Would someone please strangle this thread, or at least take my name OFF? The thead spun off from another thread- I did not originate it, but here a year later, it comes back to haunt me.

Rick, this particular thread was resurrected a long time after I worked my way through this prejudice and wrote my famous "In which she admits she was misguided" thread, which I am about ready to resurrect in an attempt to put this one to sleep again. I get it! I get it! The Scarlet Question Mark was ripped from my bosom (OUCH) long ago. I am a new woman, wholly recovered from my youthful folly. I have been reborn, recovered, seen the light, repented, cast away doubt, been washed in the blood of Agnes Dei-ance. I embrace my brother dancers, yea even unto occasional hero worship. I once was lost but now am found (by man's best friend, the nooooble hound- any PDQ BAch fans out there?). I believe, brother, I believe!

Can I please return to quiet anonymity now?

Last edited:

Recnadocir

Halle-LU-jah Sister! Praise be!

MyCapoeira

I have been practicing Capoeira for a good amount of time now, and I love everything about it. Capoeira for those of you who don't know, is a form of Brazilian martial arts that is formed around dance, it's a fusion of the two.

Besides practicing Capoeira, I am a personal trainer for a wide range of people. I've trained top athletes at both the team and individual level, private clients who were what most people would call a normal skill level, and the elderly who require extra care and attention.

I have found that incorporating dance into my routines (for myself and my clients), provides an effective workout with either high or low impact training. I can cater to each and every clients needs, and keep them interested as well.

That is why I am interested in starting belly dancing. The movements promote a strong core and great flexibility; qualities that anyone looking for overall health would strive for.

So...that being said, both men and women are interested in being healthy and having fun, while being a part of something larger than themselves. Therefore, people dance. Man or woman.

Didi

The times, they are a-changin'...

Remember when [...] women who wore pants caused scandals?

A few days ago, my roommate and another friend started a discussion about how weird I was because I prefer to wear skirts to pants, and do so quite often. And I quote: "Why can't you just wear pants like everybody else? It's not normal." :lol:

(In my defense, I do wear pants and jeans, just not all the time, and skirts for me are not reserved for going-out wear.)

Just found the contrast between the two points of view funny.

Didi

Aisha Azar

Males, etc.

Dear Didi,
I think we all have our little clothing things!! Mine is silk, the most annoying fabric in the world. I make dresses, shirts, pants, skirts,slips, etc. out of every type of silk I can lay my hands on, noile,Thai silk, raw silk, silk crepe, silk/cotton blends, etc. I buy ugly silk and dye it great colors with plain old Rit dye, or buy beautiful silk and "save" it for years until just the right pattern comes along. I throw it in the washer and dryer and it gets ever and ever softer and more wonderful!! It all wrinkles and I love the hell out of the stuff for some stupid reason, in spite of the fact that it is possibly the most inconvenient fabric in the world to wear!!
I love to wear skirts and dresses, too, and do so at least half the time, though an old broken in pair of jeans, an oversized silk shirt and some comfy shoes with no socks is may favorite all time outfit.
Regards,
A'isha

A few days ago, my roommate and another friend started a discussion about how weird I was because I prefer to wear skirts to pants, and do so quite often. And I quote: "Why can't you just wear pants like everybody else? It's not normal." :lol:

(In my defense, I do wear pants and jeans, just not all the time, and skirts for me are not reserved for going-out wear.)

Just found the contrast between the two points of view funny.

Didi

Shanazel

Like my fashion icon, Gilda Radner (God rest her soul), I base my fashion decisions on what doesn't itch.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Would someone please strangle this thread, or at least take my name OFF? The thead spun off from another thread- I did not originate it, but here a year later, it comes back to haunt me.
Can I please return to quiet anonymity now?
NEVER! This is the thread from H.E. double hockey sticks and shall live forever!!! BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :tongue:

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated! :protest:

Shanazel

Resist you, Zorba? I won't even try. For one thing, I'm too slow tonight. "HE double hocky sticks?" I thought, imagining: HE77. "What the hell is he... oh."

Past my bedtime, for sure.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Resist you, Zorba? I won't even try. For one thing, I'm too slow tonight. "HE double hocky sticks?" I thought, imagining: HE77. "What the hell is he... oh."

Past my bedtime, for sure.

HAHAHA! :lol: You gotta turn the hockey sticks the other way!

ShiroiOji

Keep in mind that this is totally coming from a noob to dancing and all, but I've started dancing because it looks like a wicked fun time, and it has been so far! I have been having such a blast in my classes and the thought of putting together a costume to dance in eventually is something that I just find so completely wicked, and I really look forward to that sort of feeling of confidence. I really have to say as well, what dancing I have done thus far has been a big self-confidence boost, which ALSO feels wonderful. My teacher is very complimentary when she has reason to be, and it's entirely encouraging, and really, it makes me feel like I can do anything. Also, I dance because I don't give a bird's poo about what others think of what I do! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.