Why do males dance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
OOOHHH...OOOHHHH, and Dear Zorba,
I found a 1998 about 15 minute video clip of Aziz in my stuff the other day, that I did not even know I had. If ever you get up Spokane way you can come over and see it!!
Regards,
A.

I'd *LOVE* to see that! Aziz, from the one video I've seen of him, most closely approaches my own dance philosophy. Any chance of digitizing it (the clip)?

Aisha Azar

Aziz

Dear Zorba,
I am a techno-moron.... can you tell me how to do it?? I would not feel okay about putting it up anywhere publicly, because tehcnically even though I do own the rights and all, I would not do it without his permission because I love him and would not disrespect our friendship. Can you email me privately?
Regards,
A'isha

um just to add my twopence worth. If you research the origins of belly dance you will find that men and women both participated in the act and so it stands to reason that modern day men can belly dance too, as odd as it may seem. Hey, just do what I do "it's foreign so parts of it are strange" that's what attracted me to it and that's what keeps me non predjudice about guys doing it. :p

Blue rose

I don't like male belly dancers, because, i think, the belly dancne is dance for girls and womens, it is no for mans.:rolleyes: ;)

Safran

I don't like male belly dancers, because, i think, the belly dancne is dance for girls and womens, it is no for mans.:rolleyes: ;)

Ah, Blue Rose, you are entitled to your opinion, but let me say...have you seen how some of these guys dance? There are so many breath-takingly good male dancers. Look around in this very same thread - there are dozens of video clips... Check them out

Aisha Azar

Males dancing

Dear Blue Rose,
Your sentiment is echoed by most of the Arab and Muslim population. Nevertheless, there have probably always been male belly dancers since the dance's beginnings, and hopefully, always will be. While the dance has a feminine spirit, this does not mean it is the property of women alone.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Oh, my, goodness, who resurrected this thread??????? :shok: I surrendered to reason long ago, put my thoughts and mea culpas in writing, and hoped the thread had died a proper death.

PLease see somewhere, "In which Shanazel admits she was misguided" and start a new why do men belly dance thread so that I am not thrust back into embarassing flashbacks.

sultan

Among primitive cultures (if I may be permitted to use the term) it is not unusual for men to perform dances which imitate the pangs and undulations of pregnant women who are having difficult births. This show of empathy for the pain endured by wives probably is what evolved into male belly dance.

Don't laugh now but, decades ago it was alleged that certain women had what was called penis envy. Historically, there is no precedent for this myth. However, science has proven that certain men have had womb envy (this is not the same as Horney's pseudo scientific claim). Don't know too much on the subject anymore as I no longer read much on it. But suffice it to say that this show of empathy is the possible origin of male BD.

KuteNurse

Oh, my, goodness, who resurrected this thread??????? :shok: I surrendered to reason long ago, put my thoughts and mea culpas in writing, and hoped the thread had died a proper death.

PLease see somewhere, "In which Shanazel admits she was misguided" and start a new why do men belly dance thread so that I am not thrust back into embarassing flashbacks.

Lol Shanazel! You totally crack me up!

KuteNurse

Among primitive cultures (if I may be permitted to use the term) it is not unusual for men to perform dances which imitate the pangs and undulations of pregnant women who are having difficult births. This show of empathy for the pain endured by wives probably is what evolved into male belly dance.

Don't laugh now but, decades ago it was alleged that certain women had what was called penis envy. Historically, there is no precedent for this myth. However, science has proven that certain men have had womb envy (this is not the same as Horney's pseudo scientific claim). Don't know too much on the subject anymore as I no longer read much on it. But suffice it to say that this show of empathy is the possible origin of male BD.

I do not know if this is related to the topic, however, my brother-in-law had morning sickness with my sister during their pregnancy.

janaki

Some of the best bellydancing I have seen is performed by men!!!! I have studied with a few male instructors, for me it didn't make any difference whether it is male or female.

As far as my research goes, it was never said any where that it is only a female dance form!!!! Every human being on earth has a right to choose what ever dance form he or she likes to dance and the costumes they choose to wear.

I have a few egyptian guy friends and when we hang out in the middleeastern bars they get up and bellydance. We all know that in the middleeast dancing is for eveyone. It is a cultural thing. Perfroming for money is different ball game!!!!!

Three cheers for you guys!!!

Go on keep doing what you are doing. If women can be astronauts, stunt pilots, solidiers, engineers, construction workers...etc., etc., men can be belly dancers too!!!! I wouldn't like it if bellydancing is only for females!!

PS: I must also say this, all the post I have read so far (except from bluerose another person don't remember who said I don't like bellydance), I understand that you gals are expressing your views and opinions about male dancing!!!!

Cheers
Janaki

Amulya

My *personal* view is that "masculine" and "feminine" are social constructs - unless we're talking about biology.

True, and in regard to belly dance, I think it's utter nonsense when people call it 'dance for WOMEN of all ages, sizes bla bla', what about men? It's also a dance for men as well.

Very interesting subject by the way. I was looking at some random video clips of male dancers and it occured to me that lots of male dancers do have a bit of a feminine way of dancing. But that's probably just my way of seeing it. I have to get used to that style because it annoys me, don't know why, maybe it's becuase I only saw life male belly dancers in Holland and they didn't have that at all. Now when I look at video clips of different dancers all over the world I notice they are very different from the Dutch ones.

Hope I didn't offend anyone!

Aisha Azar

Males dancing

Some of the best bellydancing I have seen is performed by men!!!! I have studied with a few male instructors, for me it didn't make any difference whether it is male or female.

As far as my research goes, it was never said any where that it is only a female dance form!!!! Every human being on earth has a right to choose what ever dance form he or she likes to dance and the costumes they choose to wear.

I have a few egyptian guy friends and when we hang out in the middleeastern bars they get up and bellydance. We all know that in the middleeast dancing is for eveyone. It is a cultural thing. Perfroming for money is different ball game!!!!!

Dear Janaki,
Actually, almost all of the Arabs with whom I have ever spoken about it say that it is a dance for females only. I have seen them get up and leave the room when men belly dance, though they seem fine with watching them folk dance. There is a HUGE difference in their minds between Shaabi, where people are just getting up and partying, and actual professional belly dance. They consider it shameful for a male to make his living as a belly dancer. It seems not to matter whether or not it has been done for as long as the dance has been around! It's paradoxical!!!
Regards,
A'isha

Outi

That's so true A'isha. Yesterday I was going to watch some clip by one male dancer from YouTube when one of my friend came (Egyptian male). He totally refused to see the clip. He is not a dancer, but has been working in the dance industry, so it isn't even strange environment for him.

One thing is that Egyptian are extremely gay-phobic and male dancers are viewed as so, always. Folkloric is different.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Males, etc.

That's so true A'isha. Yesterday I was going to watch some clip by one male dancer from YouTube when one of my friend came (Egyptian male). He totally refused to see the clip. He is not a dancer, but has been working in the dance industry, so it isn't even strange environment for him.

One thing is that Egyptian are extremely gay-phobic and male dancers are viewed as so, always. Folkloric is different.

Dear Donya,
I think that most Arabs are hugely homophobic. Even ones who are not seem to pretend they are so they will not seem to be going against the communal thinking. I think they see the dance as feminine essenced, which it is, in movement and feeling. (Tarik Sultan and I have argued about this this many times.) The fact is that even among (other) animals there are movements and postures that are considered to be male or female and I see it, not as a matter of culture at some levels, but more a matter of nature. I think however, that animals generally have the good sense not to be freaked out by gender opposite behaviors the way humans, unfortunately are. While I feel that there are activities that are gender essenced, I do not feel that that means people of the opposite sex can't do them. I also feel that as long as there have been fele belly dancers, males have probably been at it almost as long. I have no issue with that at all, though I have to admit that my Arab friends do. I think that living in societies where male and female roles are clearly separated and defined has lead to a situation where crossing those lines is considered haram. It happens in the States to a lesser degree.
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Didi

haram?

I have no issue with that at all, though I have to admit that my Arab friends do. I think that living in societies where male and femlae roles are clearly separared and defined has lead to a situation where crossing those lines is considered haram.

What is "haram"? Sorry, I don't know the term.

A very interesting discussion, tho I haven't anything to contribute.

Didi

summerdance

Male BD

What is "haram"? Sorry, I don't know the term.

A very interesting discussion, tho I haven't anything to contribute.

Didi

hi Didi,

Haram Means against the teachings of Islam! A'isha I agree with you here. Arab men are taught from a very young age that they have to 'man up' they do not take well to any female behavior in a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.