My first performance for non-bellydancer audience

Moon

Hi all, I performed today with 3 other people at the 5th of May festival in my city. My first performance for a non-bellydance audience!
I thought I'd share some pics with you (I cut off the other dancers for privacy reasons)

janaki

Hi moon,

Congrats!!!! Hope you had a blast!!!!Dancing to non bellydancers is a differnt ball game. Tks for sharing your pics.

Cheers
Janaki

Moon

Thank you sweeties, I sure had a good time! Though the first minute I felt very nauseous and after that my mouth got extremely dry, I got a sunburn and the music installation got over heated, lol! I made a few mistakes but I think those weren't too noticeable and most people in the audience seemed to enjoy themselves. My mom even screemed "woohoo!" when we were finished hahah! And there were little kids in the front looking like :shok:

Moon

Thank you! :D Too bad I can't show the other dancers here. I might upload some more pics later if my mom manages to put the pictures from her camera to her pc hahah

Great job Moon! I agree you look as if you were having the time of your life!!!
I'm sure your group will be asked back for more performances in the future.
Yasmine

Sara

Congrats. :D

Was it really scary? Is it easier to dance for a non dancer audience than a dancer audience?

Yshka

I know I told you this before girl, but I'm so glad it went well!! Your pics are great, can't wait to see the rest. Still don't like the fact that I couldn't make it. I must go see you dance sometime.
I think red looks great on you by the way, you look real nice there. Now cane dance pics are always cool to look at too (me.. cane addict.. Photo Gallery says it all lol:lol:)

About Sara's question, I don't know really.. My experiences with non-bellydance audiences is that they either look like: what is that?? Making it hard (dead-audience) Or think it's just great 'cause hey, it's bellydance, the dancers look beautiful/costumes are so exotic, etc, making it easier to dance because they like what you're doing anyway and don't really know what's good or bad. (I mean after all many think Shakira's a bellydancer).

Bellydance audiences to me are both too. On one hand, they are harder, since they really know what you're doing and I feel extra pressure to put up a good performance because it's important to me to be representing the dance in a way I hope does it justice (I feel this always, but it's a lot more important in the dance community I think). Let's say I'd feel a lot worse if I messed up in front of a bellydance audience. But on the other hand, the fact that they know the dance makes it easier to dance for them, they will clap along à la hafla, zaghareet, etc. If you do a move that is specific to a certain style or dancer they'll know and appreciate it (I did a Nadia Gamal-imspired thing a while ago, I tried this also in non-bellydance atmosphere and they just looked at me like :rolleyes: ).
They are sure much more encouraging to the dancer and the atmosphere of the performance mostly benefits from the fact that other dancers are there IMO.

What do you think about it so far Moon? Was it easier dancing for non-bellydance audience?

Moon

Thanks Sstacy!

Well, indeed what you said, I think so far the only BD audience I performed for were other students from the same dance school, so they were always encouraging and enthousiastic etc. But I would be very nervous if I'd had to dance for, for example, A'isha Azar or Maria Aya, or even Yshka :lol:
So, so far it was less scary to dance for BD audience. However with all my performances so far (well there were just 3 hahah) one or more family members came to watch and although they will always be enthousiastic, it's also scary.. I don't really know why.
So, yeah, I don't really know :think: the thing is non-BD audience here usually has a more neutral facial expression and they don't start clapping so fast (unless you're finished) so you think faster they don't really like it.
I was more nervous when I just started, really like nauseous and everything, but after a few minutes I started to enjoy myself :D

belly_dancer

yes... I find it WAY more easy to dance in front of strangers, as opposed to family/close friends! (or at least I did for a long time... now the IDEA of them (family) makes me more nervous... but when I am dancing it no longer scares me!)...

Yasmina

Moon, gefeliciteerd! I can tell you enjoyed yourself :D May you have 1001 beautiful and joyful performances to come!