Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default *walks in, trips, falls, gets up, waves*

Hello everyone & thank you for having this board!

A little about me......

I've always wanted to learn belly dancing but since I'm very uncoordinated I don't usually attempt any kind of dance because it scares small children and the elderly. It's not pretty.

40 yr old grandma, redhead, computer geek (spins propellor on beanie)

Working on getting in shape and lowering my bmi while increasing lean body mass. (weight training & cardio are the current focus and I have a very regimented diet.)(5'4",size 10-12, 161 lbs)

I get bored with exercising so I try to keep dvd's on-hand of various types of cardio. (Tae-bo, pilates, yoga, Belly dancing)

I have 1 BD vhs tape but I don't like it so I never do it.

I have 1 BD DVD which I enjoy - Veena & Neena's Bellydance Fitness for Beginners Basic moves & fat burning.

Goals as they apply to this forum:
    • Learn to belly dance with correct form.
    • Develop a sensual and romantic routine to perform for my better half for his birthday in April 2008. (slower moves? more floor work? etc. etc.)
    • Costume appropriately for the routine.

Potential obstacles:
    • There are NO BD instructors close enough for me to take lessons. (The closest one is 50+ miles away and I work 2 jobs so free time is limited.)
    • I'll have to rely on VHS tapes and DVD's.
    • There are a zillion instructional DVD's for learning to dance and I don't know which one to get next.
    • Funds are limited.

I have no intention of ever performing in public because I freeze in front of people. Thus, the IT career.

I'm sure I've forgotten something you need to know.........

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, as long as you can get up and wave after you fall, you're half way there.

Welcome. This is a great place to be.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!!!! Happy Posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Another computer geek? Oh yay! What type of computer geek? Should I give you advice like this:

while distanceToNearestBdInstructor >= reasonableDriveLength:
    you = watchingVideosOnYoutube
    DVDs=[]
    for GoodYoutubeBDancer:
    you = SearchingInterwebsForDvdsByDancer
    if DVD <= ReasonablePrice:
    DVDs.append(DVD)
    nowYou = AskOpinionOfOrientalDancersAboutDVDs
    if opinion == good:
    nowYou = considerPurchasingDVD
    print 'Welcome'

[edited in after initial post]...aaaah! It didn't like my indentation! Let's pretend that the above is properly indented, like a good Python program should be.

Or like this:

So if you're not able to get to an instructor even for private lessons, it's might be wise to get more DVDs to learn from. There are lots of great styles of bellydance out there, I recommend you watch some youtube vids to learn what style you are interested in. If you see a dancer of particular interest, see if she has a reasonably priced DVD, and ask this forum if we know anything about it. Welcome!

P.S. For those who are really confused, the first message was written in Python, a programming language I'm learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Q-Tip, We're glad that you found us so welcome to the forum! You have very specific goals which is a good thing. What you will probably find is learning BD will help with coordination issues over time. Since you have a DVD by the Bellytwins, may I recommend their instructional series. There are small choreographies at the end of each DVD. Jillina also teaches choreographies during her instructional series as well. Floor work however is another story as it is both athletic and graceful because it requires stregth, flexibility and balance. Good Luck and Have fun!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Tip View Post

I have no intention of ever performing in public because I freeze in front of people. Thus, the IT career.
    He he he, I freeze too when I have to do talks at work - my excuse is I'm a lab rat with an IT streak. But you never know what you might do once you discover your inner belly dancer!

Welcome to the forum and happy posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Shanazel, KuteNurse, belly taz,Ariella, Yasmine Bint Al Nubia and Aniseteph thank you for such a warm welcome.

Ariella - LOL I can read that code. I deal with MS Access for the majority of my work.

Aniseteph - Stage fright is terminal, I freeze and then stop breathing. But on the upside I'm a lovely shade of blue.

Yasmine Bint Al Nubia - Thank you for the recommendation, I was considering that series.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hoosier!!

Where in Indiana are you? We have teachers all over the place. Let me hook you up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Hey Hoosier!!

Where in Indiana are you? We have teachers all over the place. Let me hook you up
    Grrr I'm too far north to attend your classes!

check your pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast