Floor work - Feet always bruised - Help!!!

Ya_Assal

Hello All my dancing beauties,

Does anyone know how I can do my floor work without killing the front of my feet.

When i go down and arch back and my knees are bent under me and my feet are by my butt, nothing hurts but my feet kill.

when i first tried these years ago I knew my highs had to get stronger, but now even years into this, I can't seem to get my feet not to bruise. It is as if all the veins and bones in my foot are just being crushed against the floor and it forces me to rise sooner than I would like.

any suggestions besides not to do floor work. I have heard that one a thousand times (lol)

Assal

Zurah

OW! I feel your pain. I usually place an old sweater or something like that under my feet, to cushion those bony parts. Although what I really would like to find is a pair of kneepads small enough to slip over my feet.

Moon

Maybe you can practice your floorwork on a yoga mat or something like that?
( I must admit I don't have experience myself. I never do floorwork, but I tried it once on a mattrass to protect my feet and knees)
If I remember right there is also some useful advice about this problem on shira's website (www.shira.net)
Good luck :)

Salome

Administrator
Hi Assal,

I adore floor work and do it often, venue permitting. One thing I would ask is where, exactly, are your feet in this position? If you are kneeling and you sat would you sit partially or completely on your feet? If that is the case, it could put a lot of pressure on your feet going into a backbend. When kneeling try putting your legs wide enough apart that when you sit, your butt touches the floor and your feet are immediately to either side. This also stabilizes you going into back bends. This allows the leg from the knee to the foot to absorb the pressure instead of demanding too much from the quads and ankles/feet.

If you already have that posture and your feet are still hurting... save your body during rehearsals and use a mat or some other kind of cushion that doesn't interfere with your dancing. I think shira has an article on her site about making an accessory for the top of the foot to keep from getting rug burns, maybe you could use a material that also offers a bit of padding without looking odd. There are skin colored, flexible ankle supports that cover the top of the foot… You could also get a reasonably sized (easy to transport) rug to take with you to places of performance to do floor work on. Might not make a huge difference but could make some (and keep your costume cleaner!)

Lydia

Hi Asal,to be honest ,i dont think you can do a lot about it,if your legs are positioned like salome says in the 2nd part of her mail? i feel if i compensate in anyway when i do floorwork to save my skin i looze on my movements...i wonder if it is just your skin or your feet inside ?(i wish i could see you do it than i have a better idea)sorry that is not much help i geuss... but my feet dont hurt just the skin,i cant use rugs it will limit my routine the rest of the show,and be worried to trip when i spin fast over it...so rugs are out for me...i come many shows of stage with the skin scraped of the highest part of my feet or knees ,special when i dance.on concrete wath happens sometimes in private party,s outdoors....i think you can not do much just concentrate more when you bend and try to not put to much weight on the area that hurts when you realy concentrate you will be able to lift the presure of that area where it hurts.....and pas by me when you are near me,we work on it !!just kidding....Happy dropping Lydia

Madeline

Hello Assal!

Whenever I practice the splits on a hard floor, my back foot really hurts! :( Practicing on a carpet or a mat is a lot more comfortable.

Madeline

miss_shimmy

hi

hi,i have been wearing jazz shoes to practise in,they realy help make my feet happy.

i have a pair of ballett shoes,i use them sometimes too,and i am sure they help.

just for practising of course,saving your feet for your performances

:) hope your feet get better soon:)

amanda
xxxxxxxxxx

Gia al Qamar

I completely understand you problem.
It has nothing to do with warming up, foot position or much of anything but tender skin bruising as you're 'leaning' on it.
I am quite adept at floor work...and it matters not what shoes I'm wearing or not wearing or what floor I'm dancing on...even on rugs...the top or arch of my foot bruises....I'm a delicate flower...what can I say?
LOL! :p
My suggestion to you is to find foot wear IN which you can place a foam or gel pad. Lyric sandals, Cat's Paws or other dance wear will allow you to actually place some foam or even mole skin (the kind with adhesive on one side) right at the top of your foot, protecting it from the floor.
You can get crafty and decorate such footwear to hide your 'extra protection', or just try to make it blend with your skin or be totally hidden by the shoes/sandals etc...good luck!
Gia

samsied

I haven't yet tried this idea, but will pass it along anyway. In a floorwork workship with Ansuya, she suggested making "barefoot sandles" out of a soft felt that coordinates with your costume. It would attach to the top of your foot around your ankle and toes. (I have seen silimar in a beaded design--but her suggestion is with felt/padded fabric to protect the top of the feet.)

I am not sure if I can describe clearly. Kind of like the one at the following link, but not made of chain: http://www.sblades.com/ID-E15.php

Gia al Qamar

EXACTLY...but keep ALL BEADING OFF THE TOP OF THE FOOT!!! You'll end up bruising in the pattern of your beads if you do!
But making a padded triangle for the top of your feet and attaching with a loop around your ankle and one toe would work wonders!
Gia

Ya_Assal

Thank you all for your advice. I do like the idea of some type of decorative padding that can addto the costume while being a protection.

As to what is described, I do what Salome described in part 2 of her post and it is not the skin that hurts its the bones. I tend to have many of my bone that protrude more than the norm so discomforts for me are normal, but this is the one pain I have not been able to deal with.

I may have to scratch floor work all together but first I will try the padding as carpets do not help the proplem.

Thanx again!

Assal

Salome

Administrator
I may have to scratch floor work all together

Hi Assal,

If you can kneel comfortably there is a ton you can do in that position as well as bridges to the side instead of back where the top of your foot isn't in contact with the floor.

Ya_Assal

Hi Assal,

If you can kneel comfortably there is a ton you can do in that position as well as bridges to the side instead of back where the top of your foot isn't in contact with the floor.

Salome it is wonderful how supportive you are!