Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default REAL criticism wanted

Here's what I want to do. I'm really wanting some feedback on my pitiful attempts at "Dancing like an Egyptian." If I can ever figure out how to rip the video off my camcorder, I'd like to quietly post short video of me doing a Raqia Hassan choreography, and my own attempt at Egyptian choreo. (I'm still working on the improv.)

I want this to be private cause I don't want it all over YouTube for real Egyptian dancers to post "you suck" comments all over it. (I'm aware that I suck, thank you; I'd like some suggestions on how NOT to suck.)

Assuming I can figure out how to do this, technically, and can figure out how to make it private, can I request the members of this lovely forum to actually give good criticism and not ego-stroking? If you like it, can you be specific as to what you liked? If I missed the boat entirely, can you tell me at what point you think I went overboard?

Also, do I need to be in costume, or will class attire be okay?

Humbly and Gratfully yours,
    Az

P.s. if jiggling fat disgusts you, then look away. I got back, and I got middle, and it's going but not quite gone yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there
    If you trust me I'm in
    And hey I havent seen yet a skinny and half naked egyptian woman dancing at Cairo and they are the essense and the cream de la cream of egyptian dance

Maria Aya

p.s. my advice also, dont use choreo, real egyptian dance is NEVER choreographed

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I'm too much a newby to be of help but I'd still like to see.

Jiggling fat-I had a warning on my myspace page for a while (warning I'm not skinny) where I had posted my picture with my stomach showing-I'm becoming more accepting of my body but wasn't sure if everyone else would be...

Post Thanks / Like

I would be glad to give you some feedback. I have some friends with whom I have traded critiques before, and it is always very helpful for all of us.

You should just wear something that shows movement (fitted, doesn't match the background). Unless you want comments on a particular costume....

Sedonia
    Last edited by sedoniaraqs; 05-08-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to also. I'm 4'11" and a size 18, so I definitely have some wiggle to my shimmies :o)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

I have studied quite a bit from Raqia Hassan and some of her famous student dancers. I am good at spotting Raqias anywhere(hahaha). I like the idea. There are many well accomplished people in this forum, I am sure you will get great feedback/suggestions/constrcutive criticism. I will be honoured to participate in it.

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aziyade, I'm not an expert on Egyptian style, but I know what Ilike! Hey you may be on to something here! What if the forum had the ability to post personal videos for critiques?
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Aziyade, I'm not an expert on Egyptian style, but I know what Ilike! Hey you may be on to something here! What if the forum had the ability to post personal videos for critiques?
    Yasmine
    GOOD IDEA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's very helpful doing this, I did it once on Bhuz and got some good tips. Sometimes you know there are things to work on but it's hard to point it out, the help of other dancers is very useful

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aziyade.

I'd love to be helpful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast