REAL criticism wanted

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Here's what I want to do. I'm really wanting some feedback on my pitiful attempts at "Dancing like an Egyptian." If I can ever figure out how to rip the video off my camcorder, I'd like to quietly post short video of me doing a Raqia Hassan choreography, and my own attempt at Egyptian choreo. (I'm still working on the improv.)

I want this to be private cause I don't want it all over YouTube for real Egyptian dancers to post "you suck" comments all over it. (I'm aware that I suck, thank you; I'd like some suggestions on how NOT to suck.)

Assuming I can figure out how to do this, technically, and can figure out how to make it private, can I request the members of this lovely forum to actually give good criticism and not ego-stroking? If you like it, can you be specific as to what you liked? If I missed the boat entirely, can you tell me at what point you think I went overboard?

Also, do I need to be in costume, or will class attire be okay?

Humbly and Gratfully yours,
Az

P.s. if jiggling fat disgusts you, then look away. I got back, and I got middle, and it's going but not quite gone yet.

Maria_Aya

Hi there :)
If you trust me I'm in;)
And hey I havent seen yet a skinny and half naked egyptian woman dancing at Cairo and they are the essense and the cream de la cream of egyptian dance ;)

Maria Aya:)

p.s. my advice also, dont use choreo, real egyptian dance is NEVER choreographed

sstacy123

Of course I'm too much a newby to be of help but I'd still like to see.

Jiggling fat-I had a warning on my myspace page for a while (warning I'm not skinny) where I had posted my picture with my stomach showing-I'm becoming more accepting of my body but wasn't sure if everyone else would be...

sedoniaraqs

I would be glad to give you some feedback. I have some friends with whom I have traded critiques before, and it is always very helpful for all of us.

You should just wear something that shows movement (fitted, doesn't match the background). Unless you want comments on a particular costume....

Sedonia

Last edited:

Tikvah

I would love to also. I'm 4'11" and a size 18, so I definitely have some wiggle to my shimmies :eek:)

janaki

Hi there,

I have studied quite a bit from Raqia Hassan and some of her famous student dancers. I am good at spotting Raqias anywhere(hahaha). I like the idea. There are many well accomplished people in this forum, I am sure you will get great feedback/suggestions/constrcutive criticism. I will be honoured to participate in it.

Cheers
Janaki

Hi Aziyade, I'm not an expert on Egyptian style, but I know what Ilike! Hey you may be on to something here! What if the forum had the ability to post personal videos for critiques?
Yasmine

Amulya

It's very helpful doing this, I did it once on Bhuz and got some good tips. Sometimes you know there are things to work on but it's hard to point it out, the help of other dancers is very useful :)

Moon

I'll leave the REAL criticism to the experts, but I always love to see forum members dance, so please please post something!
Maybe you could both do a choreographed piece and an improvisation piece? (Or leave some room for improvisation in the choreography?)
You said you were working on that so who knows you might get very useful advice here! :dance:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I love you guys!

I KNOW I should be improvising -- and actually for the past 3 nights I've taken belly_dancer's challenge and been playing with it for 15 minutes, and I LIKE IT! But I don't see myself performing a full-out improv piece for a while, until I'm more comfortable with it.

Let me get the camcorder out of the closet and try this. Thanks!!!!!

Aisha Azar

Critique

I love you guys!

I KNOW I should be improvising -- and actually for the past 3 nights I've taken belly_dancer's challenge and been playing with it for 15 minutes, and I LIKE IT! But I don't see myself performing a full-out improv piece for a while, until I'm more comfortable with it.

Let me get the camcorder out of the closet and try this. Thanks!!!!!

Dear Aziyade,
Some advice to help those who will critique your dance. Do not wear black, do not wear anything too shiny if you are going to be wearing work-out clothes, because light refracts and they will not really be able to see your movements. Do not wear anything with too busy a pattern. (This was advice given to me by the company who shot my DVD.) Dance against a plain background if possible and be sure to wear a belt that contrasts with your leo, or, if you wear a costume, make sure it is not too pastel colored, or too like your skin in tone. I went to a show a couple of weeks ago where one of the dancers was wearing a lovely blue dance costume... her skin picked up every blue tone in the dress and she looked positively frozen.
I will be happy to critique your dancing also, if you would like.
Regards,
A'isha

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'll leave the REAL criticism to the experts, but I always love to see forum members dance, so please please post something!
What Moon said. I'll be happy to help - if I can - but may not see things my more experienced sisters would...

Salome

Administrator
I want this to be private cause I don't want it all over YouTube

The Photo gallery that all the members bought :) can host video clips. I *think* it's also possible to make a user group so only those in the user group can access the picture or video. I'll talk to Anatoliy and find out!

sparklyraven

I would love to see it because I'm pretty sure you won't suck, I am afraid I'd be more the ego stroking kind though. I don't consider myself of critiquing caliber.

Safran

Hey, I would love to see the video and maybe comment on that from the newbies/not enough experienced dancers' side :) Dunno if I am good at constructive criticism, but I can give it a try!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Whoo -hoo ! I want to start this now!!!! It may be a month or so though.
A'isha thanks for the tips on what to wear. Does this actually technically give me an excuse to buy NEW practice wear? hmm...

Aisha Azar

Critique

Whoo -hoo ! I want to start this now!!!! It may be a month or so though.
A'isha thanks for the tips on what to wear. Does this actually technically give me an excuse to buy NEW practice wear? hmm...

Dear Aziyade,
Sounds more like a REASON than an EXCUSE!!! Go buy something fabulous!!
Regards,
A.