Cheat sheet of appropriate songs?

belly_dancer

Hello all... I think it would be fun (or at least EXTREMELY useful!) for the more knowledgeable of us to maybe do a cheat sheet for the rest of us...
*songs appropriate for weddings
*songs appropriate for birthday parties (maybe broken down by age & for sure nationality!)
*songs appropriate for STRICTLY ____________ (fill in the blank! eg.. moroccan/persian/turkish etc.) parties
*songs for MIXED parties! (I had to do a greek/turkish party once! luckily I made them pick out the music!)
etc etc
*what types of categories do the rest of you need???

*any language/music buffs out there to help us out!!!!????

Shanazel

This is a lovely idea, but I haven't a thing to add to it. Just thought I'd move it along with a post and see what happened.

belly_dancer

This is a lovely idea, but I haven't a thing to add to it. Just thought I'd move it along with a post and see what happened.

why thank you!!!... apparently some peeks... (actually got some rep for this idea!!!!:clap:) but no takers (soooo far... still holding out hope!!!)...
so MY old stand bys are of course Leylet Hoab (all), Aziza (all), drum solos= Moktar al Said (all), Mastoom Mastoom (Persian/Iranian).. eeek & more.. but I am at work.. so must fly....
Shanazel.... you must dance (or dancED) to something... what was/is it???
(& for what kind of audience??)
thanks for your interest... lets get this show on the road... (if only for those more knowledgeable to correct us!!!! )

janaki

Great post !!! Can't wait to hear from the music buffs!!!! Famous egyptian songs to dance to a wedding are;

aroustek el helwa
dalaany
elhares allah
ghandara
zawaeeny ya mama
el fattha
ya mehany
zaffa
mashaalla

Cheers
Janaki

summerdance

Egyptian favs

Tahtil Shubaak
Inta omri
ya wad ya tageel i
Habibi Afeefee
ya mal il Shams
Ya bul al ayoon al sud

All great songs to do at weddings.

Lebanon
Ayam Al loulo-
Ghamze Min ayneji soud- dabke
layali Beirut
bdna nitjawwaz al lyd( very festive song)
aatini Nay waghanni

hope this helps

janaki

Hello guys out there,

I can't wait to hear from all the experts!!! I am very keen to compile all the answers and post it back in the forum ( a compiled list). It would be helpful even if you provide the important must dance no.

Cheers
Janaki

AidaBellydance

Yes!

I see this is kind of an old thread.
But it would be nice if this topic came to life again.

I personally allways have lot's of issues picking rigth kind of music. Especially to specific parties. But also for "standard shows" in restaurants. As most of the songs THEY ususally want is the "fast shimmeying" kinds - and this is not that inspiring as a performer...

So please: You who have knowledge: Dig different FAVE ones for different audiences up and share it with all of us..
;):) :clap:

I, for one, will be waiting all excited to learn.

:) Aïda.

Amulya

IBut also for "standard shows" in restaurants. As most of the songs THEY ususally want is the "fast shimmeying" kinds - and this is not that inspiring as a performer...

Drum solos! If you pick one with slower and faster bits it's much more fun.

Btw welcome to the forum!

AidaBellydance

Drum solos! If you pick one with slower and faster bits it's much more fun.

Btw welcome to the forum!

Thanks Amulya, glad I found this place. :)

:lol: Ok I guess a drumsolo is selfwritten into most of my performances, it's usually fun for me and for the audience too. Sometimes its allready included in one of the songs, sometimes I have one on its own.

But I think its hard to find "classic" song that are not TOO much or too little for "ordinary people".. And the new popsongs are also difficult to find I think, as they sometimes in my ears are sounding too western and/or are the same and the same over and over again...

Now I have a set of music I really like, but have been performing it for a long time now and I feel that employers and audience (those that have watched me before anyway ) will think I never renew anything.. But sometimes when I do I dont think its well recived - and then I go back to the old stuff I allready KNOW works every single time. And thats also bad.. So I am seriously looking for something new.

- What I erlier meant was more like what kind of songs is both inspiring for the dancer but not too artisitc to the public to cope with.. I think.. :think:

Aïda :)

Daimona

I know exactly what you mean when you want to make changes in your reportoire. I've had "Tales of the Sahara" as a favorite for several years and have performed it both in weddings, at restaurants and festivals.

Some favorites:
Layalina
Faddah
Mashaal
El Helwa

I think one of the secrets of not boring the audience and yourself is to choose music with a lot of various rhythms and moods.
If you are bored, your audience will be bored. I'm easily bored myself, so the song shouldn't be too long. Don't be afraid of shortening the music if there are boring parts in it, or the piece is too long for you to keep the audience thrilled about your performance. You can read more about shortening of music in this forumtread.

For gigs I usually choose lively, varied and mostly extrovert music and try to avoid the most introverted pieces. There might be more introvert parts to give both myself and the audience a break, but the main feeling is extrovert.
Whoever the audience is, Hakim is a winner if I want the audience to join in the dance. :)

AidaBellydance

Thanks soo much I have been quite frustrated about some pieces of music that had some boring or to hard to do section..
(I have trouble with turning for too long and hairstunts due to problems in my neck (whiplash).)
So would be nice to cut it, but last time I tried it the program didnt work to well so I skipped the project. But now I'll try this that is recommended in the tread :) I hope it will ease things a bit.

Also sometimes the employer and employees own taste is in the way of using great songs/music pieces.
Last time I was substitute for a collegue her boss asked me: What kind of music are you using? I HOPE its not some BORING arabic music.. !!
- It was - some of it.. :confused:

I know Hakim is very popular but sometimes I think its too much: but then if I can cut his songs here and there it migth be allright.. For as it is now most of them are kind a alike ( mabe its the "Hakim sound?" ) to me.. No offence btw. ;)
But yes its easy to get people involved with as when inviting them to dance, as their so lively.

I will look for the music you recomented, hope I am lucky to find it.
AND: Thanks so much, this was really helpfull.:)

Aïda.

Daimona

If you don't like Hakim, there are plenty of fun pop music you can use.
I haven't got the titles (or my music collection) here, but songs Nancy Ajram, Samira Said, etc. could also be nice to work with.

If you don't know where to find this music, you might find some tips on this thread.

AidaBellydance

If you don't like Hakim, there are plenty of fun pop music you can use.
I haven't got the titles (or my music collection) here, but songs Nancy Ajram, Samira Said, etc. could also be nice to work with.

If you don't know where to find this music, you might find some tips on this thread.

I have been using Nancy a lot. I really like her :) And its not like I dont like Hakim but, hes used so much and not my favorite style of music though I really like some of his songs ;) It so nice that this place have "everything".
- Im so glad I found it :D Honestly :)

Thanks,
Aïda.