Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about the hip drop kick

When doing the hip drop kick which i think is done sideways?,, is the drop a true drop or is it more of a sideways motion? is it simply performing a hip drop from an angle, or is it a sideways swing of the hip? im puzzled, im studying from a DVD at this point, I plan on taking classes in september but i want to get the most backround i can b4 i go

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

hip drop with a 'kick'... I do a plain and simple hip drop. Either right under my ribcage or back and down. Either way, as the hip drop completes the foot comes off the floor, I turn that foot out verrrrry slightly and point my toe. The leg on your working hip is bent at the knee, so as the hip drop completes the foot comes off the floor until the knee straightens. I'd say my foot is only about six inches from the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as Salome

Post Thanks / Like

Default hi

i think it is done sideways,its my fave step!!and you can also take it round of course!
    I usually do it sideways yes,and i like to varey the speed too.

hugs and smiles

miss shimmy
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what you mean by sideways. Do you mean that dancers usually stand so the audience have a view of the side of their body? The seems to be true and that is what I usually do.

Or do you mean the "drop" itself is a sideways hip motion? I learned it as a strait drop with a slight release of the foot. I found it hard at first--mainly because of the balance. Now it feels quite natural and is one of my fall-back improv. moves. I sometimes do the drop-kick rounded to the back with the no kick drop to the front to make a arch or upside down U. But that is just a variation or even a different move. Another dancer taught me a hip-drop-kick with a slight hip twist. That is a nice, fun move, maybe that is what your looking at?

If you are new to dancing, I think you would find it easier to do it with a strait up and down hipdrop--at least to start. Happy dancing!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Raven Haired Bellydancer,

I just re-read your post... It might even be a good idea just to work on hip drops since you haven't started class yet. These are a very important move that you can do a lot with--including the cute drop-kicks. Which dvd's are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using Veena and Neena's dvd, right now, the Beyond Basic dance one, I have the first volume on order, I'm just gonna practice my hip drops first, thats what was confusing me,, i didnt realize it was just an ordinary hip drop with a kick, as you face sideways

Post Thanks / Like

As everyone has said, it's just a drop, plain and simple, and it's NOT a kick - it's a simple release of the foot. Your foot will rise primarily due to the force generated by the dropping motion. So it's more drop, drop-and-take-your-foot-off-the-ground.

If you're smart you can start doing them to the front and back as well!

Post Thanks / Like

My teacher refers to these as "press-releases", which focuses less on the "kicking" aspect of the move. Like the others have said, it's a standard hip-drop, releasing the foot on the drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zumarrad View Post
    As everyone has said, it's just a drop, plain and simple, and it's NOT a kick - it's a simple release of the foot. Your foot will rise primarily due to the force generated by the dropping motion. So it's more drop, drop-and-take-your-foot-off-the-ground.

If you're smart you can start doing them to the front and back as well!
    Yes! Well said. When I first started learning this move I was too focussed on what looked like a little kick-- and I think that is why I found it a little hard to balance or feel grounded. After a while, I realized it is really a natural extension of a hip drop. So now, I actually find that a regular hip drop with no foot release takes slightly more effort than a hip drop with a release. I like the use of the word "release" rather than "kick", I think I would have figured this move out a little faster if that was how it was described. (Note this is no discredit to my first teachers--they did not teach this move at the level I was at and I rarely saw them perform it. I learned in a workshop as part of a combination where it wasn't really broken down so I was just copying what I saw.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast