Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Hi there,

Either way, as the hip drop completes the foot comes off the floor, I turn that foot out verrrrry slightly and point my toe.
    Yes! This little detail is what many of the Egyptian dancers do also. Really it is a slight lateral rotation of the hip that causes the foot to turn out slightly, and also the hip to drop down and tuck in further. Possibly this the only example of any kind of lateral hip rotation in oriental dance.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

I do kicking hip drops with a slight twist.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned this movement as an "Egyptian kick" though it is not a kick at all, as noted above, but a lift of the foot. I saw a variation where instead of lifting the foot forward, when the hip is dropped, the knee bends so that the kick is to the back. Hmm, did that make any sense at all? It made me think of flappers doing the Charleston.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap7FLtNiFY8

This dancer kicks her foot *right* out and I think it looks really distracting.

Post Thanks / Like

In a skirt that showed less leg, it might not be so distracting. A flash of leg now and then is pretty, but I don't like watching a belly dancers hardworking legs throughout a dance- it spoils the ambiance.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I have problem with simple hip drop. Any one could gimme some tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel
    In a skirt that showed less leg, it might not be so distracting. A flash of leg now and then is pretty, but I don't like watching a belly dancers hardworking legs throughout a dance- it spoils the ambiance.
    That is so true!

Post Thanks / Like

Idea

Quote Originally Posted by samsied View Post
    After a while, I realized it is really a natural extension of a hip drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by samsied View Post
    I like the use of the word "release" rather than "kick", I think I would have figured this move out a little faster if that was how it was described.
    This is not my experience at all. I learned this move very early on, with the "release" terminology, but I have always had a huge amount of trouble with it.

When I simply release, my foot drops firmly into the floor, and there is no kick at all! When I try to push my foot to the front, it feels very forced, and my moving foot is usually too far off the floor. If I'm pointing my foot as I kick, it tends to catch on the floor. If I don't point my foot as I kick, it looks like I'm country line dancing!

If I push my leg forward and to the side (maybe 45 degrees), I have a good chance of being able to clear the floor, and I can usually point my toe as well. But it takes a huge amount of concentration.

Why is it so hard? My best guess is that either my posture or my body type is not conducive to this supposedly reflexive "release". What do you ladies think?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Da Sage, it's kind of hard to tell without seeing you in person, assuming you are in the correct posture, your difficulty may be tht your standing leg is too straight so there is not an opposing muscle action for the "kick" leg, or maybe it's the opposite where the standing leg is too bent and therefore there isn't enough stability when your foot clears the floor. Just a thought.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milky View Post
    I have problem with simple hip drop. Any one could gimme some tips?
    Hi Milky, Again this is a matter of being able to see what you are doing. Can you descrie how you are performing the move?
    Yasmine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast