Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Milky, Again this is a matter of being able to see what you are doing. Can you descrie how you are performing the move?
    Yasmine
    Hi,Yasmine. I mean when I do this move, it seems that I cannot drop my hip down smartly. I wonder what part of muscles I should focus on when I do this move ? And meanwhile,how do both of my legs act?
    Last edited by milky; 12-04-2006 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milky View Post
    I mean when I do this move, it seems that I cannot drop my hip down smartly. I wonder what part of muscles I should focus on when I do this move?
    I use the basic tuck and squeeze (or at least activate) my glute on the drop - I also find that I "turn out" dropping leg from hip to foot and aim the glute up and into the body (that's not really visible but gives snap).

If that's not considered proper tecknick ignore me and listen to everyone else , g

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you,Gabi.
    I'll be grateful for all the tips I get from everyone here.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ladies (and gents),

I spent some time working on my drop-kicks yesterday, and I found that I could get a smooth (almost easy) move, if I propped my foot on the toe, instead of the ball. If I prop it on tip-toe, I don't even have to point my foot during the move, because it's already pointed.

Maybe it's just how I'm strung together, but this works pretty well for me. I hope my new method is not a big no-no!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Milky, Even though we are focusing on the hip as it drops ther is considerable muscle activity going on. Ideally, only the hip should drop down from a slightly lifted position and not the entire body/torso moving up and down with the hhip.
    In order for your hip to drop , it needs to lift up slightly and then come down past neutral, just as if your hip was a hammer. Clenching the glutes on the working hip should make the move look sharp. Use you obliques(side muscle) to help with the lifting action and not you leg. Like a hip lift but reverse. I will write more, but I just got home from work and my bed is calling.....
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Q about hip drop kick

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhairedbellydancer View Post
    When doing the hip drop kick which i think is done sideways?,, is the drop a true drop or is it more of a sideways motion? is it simply performing a hip drop from an angle, or is it a sideways swing of the hip? im puzzled, im studying from a DVD at this point, I plan on taking classes in september but i want to get the most backround i can b4 i go
    It's a true drop, with the foot releasing, not really "kicking" on every other drop. The body can be angled toward the audience on a diagonal so that both the hip drop and the "kick" are visible. Arms can frame the movement, often one hand to the head and the other near the working hip. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank u very much,Yasmine.I hope that u've got a good sleep.
    Would u mind if I ask one more question?
    When droppin' down the hip: Is it a real drop-down? Or just releasing the obliques?
    Last edited by milky; 12-05-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Milky, Thank you I did get some good zzzz's in! As far as the hi drop you are doing both, release the obliques and let your glutes on the working side drop down. There is a lot stlizaton to this move it can small(by using more muscle action) or large(using more skeletal action). It depends on the musical phrase you are working with. Listen to your favorite music and experiment!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I c. I'll do more practice on this move.That's very kind of u to gimme so many tips,Yasmine.Thank u.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123