Page 1 of 26 123456711 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin What instructional DVDs/Videos you have?

Please share with the world what instructional material you have/use and what you think of it!

Here I go:

I've got several of the Belly Twins, which I am not too mad about, cos most of them are fitness oriented (except for Mystic Veil, I like to use this one for the relaxed ambience it creates.)

I've got Neon's Instant Belly Dancer vol 1&2. I enjoy that one, cos her graphic schematics really help me to understand how this or that move "works"! Unfortunately she does not teach combo's on it, so I use it as a reference type thing - a mini encyclopedia of basic Belly dance moves!

I was given 2 Rania's DVDs Exotic belly dance of rania(99.9%fitness) and Rania's choreography, which I also dont use, cos i really do not like her as a dancer, her stiff arms get on my nerves! LOL

I have Jillina's Level 1 which is quite fun!

And I am currently waiting for Jenna's Basics and Beyond and Heartbeat of belly dance to arrive!

Later on I really would like to get smth in "Tribal Fusion" Like Sera's or Darshan's and wonder if the "Arms and Posture" by Rachel Brice is any good...
    But those are later, MUCH later, for financial reasons...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Reen,

Are you taking classes as well or just using the instruction dvd's?

Rachel xxx

Post Thanks / Like

I have
    BD for Beginners with Suhaila/Buns-my teachers raved about it but not my favorite but then I've only watched it once and never tried it

Dynamic Combinations with Ava Fleming-haven't tried to learn the combos yet but I liked what I saw

Spins and Turns with Marguerite-I liked it pretty well

Tribal Fusion BD w Rachel Brice-I was impressed with Rachel but it was just okay for me.

Smooth as Silk Veil w Katia-it seemed to drag on a bit (if memory serves me perhaps some diff music would have helped?) but it had plenty of good info and I like it

21 Shimmies and 1001 variations-I liked some of it, some of the other shimmys I had no interest in at this point

How to Play Finger Cymbals w Mesmera-I liked it but I think there is room for improvement and I still feel pretty clueless...but it is probably ME and not the video...(I have not actually had a class yet)

Delilah Workshop I, II, III- a lot of info but enjoyed watching

Mystic Dance w Veena and Neena-thee first time I watched was really impressed-not as much the 2nd time but I still like it

Lavish Layers w Ansuya-I like it pretty well...

The Heartbeat of Bellydance-was my first intro to some of the rhythms which was good...the video was okay for me.

Jillina 1 & 2-they're okay for me.

Veil with Aziza

Sizzlin' Hips w Ava Flemming-didn't care for it so much.

Anyone want to know more about any of these ask me and I'll tell but I don't like to say too much 'cause I don't know that I know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by sstacy123; 05-14-2007 at 03:32 AM. Reason: remembered another DVD I have

Post Thanks / Like

ok here is my list

10 shimmies and 1001 variations - DONT like it so much, it is more of a practice companion for people who already know the move

dynamic combo's with ava fleming -DONT LIKE IT

EDIT: again i do not like this one simply because i am not fond of ava fleming's style or choreography.

bellydance basic and beyond with jenna - LOVE IT

jillina 1&2 - LOVE IT

EDIT: i must rephrase, though i have gotten good moves from jillina, i DO NOT like her choreography or her style in the least

jamila salimpour archives - LOVE LOVE LOVE, the BEST
    but not so explanatory as to what muscles to use

tribal fusion with Rachel Brice - LOVE but hey this one you have to actually
    do it to see great improvement, i KNOW but not so much material covered for the price

addition

practice companion with Aziza - LOVE LOVE

i want to get darshan's dvd and i desperately need some instruction for hands and arms.

addition 2:

love neena and veena's dvds which i just got. i love them the best so far. plus they include beautiful arm/hand work in their dvds. right now they are my favorite.
    Last edited by charity; 05-15-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: additions

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Delilah's 3 series workshop-great for learning.

A learning dvd from a local instructor learning hip circles, figure eights hip up's and basic shimmy's...

I so need to add to my collection.

Post Thanks / Like

i am reluctant to invest in delilah's workshops. i have been led astray on 3 of the pricey bd dvds and have been seriously disappointed.

for the basics i have found the cheaper versions are often times much more inclusive. i cannot emphasize enough the quantity of material contained in jenna's dvd. it definitely is not my style but it has enlightened me to a LOT of basic moves common in any style.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Charity. I will look into Jenna's dvd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by orlea View Post
    Hi Reen,

Are you taking classes as well or just using the instruction dvd's?

Rachel xxx
    Well unfortunately I am on my own now... In 2005 I attended classes for 3 months (together with ballroom dance classes) but I dont think I learnt THAT much! It surely helped to learn the "nature" of basic moves, To really see how the moves work on a live instructor, plus I became really great friends with her and we strill exchange emails and sms, and she turned out to be my older brother's classmate(100 years ago..LOL)

But now I have to travel a lot, at the moment I stay with my fiance on a farm... I go to town like once a month... so DVD's is what is left....

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=charity;30003]i am reluctant to invest in delilah's workshops. i have been led astray on 3 of the pricey bd dvds and have been seriously disappointed.
    QUOTE]

Tell us what you bought that disappointed you. It helps.

And you know, sometimes if you revisit a video later it might make more sense to you.

I bought Shareen el Safy's technique 2 off another dancer who said she hated it, that it didn't make sense, etc. Being a huge Shareen fan (AND knowing what her videos were like) I snatched it up. A couple of years later I saw the same dancer asking on Bhuz if anybody had a copy of that (out-of-print) video. LOL.

I like Habiba's quickstart video series for Egyptian style. But it's pricey. And the Dina LA workshops -- oh, I LOVE those vids. But you have to be able to learn by watching.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have:

Hilary Thacker for Beginners: Ancient vid I got and I don't really like it at all

Jillina 1-3: Again, I wasn't too impressed to be honest. Too much choreo which I don't really like. I would have preferred more technique

Rachel Brice Tribal Fusion: Good for drilling, but not enough in the DVD I didn't think.

Neon: Abs shaping thing: This is good for your abs, not isolating of nothing but getting strength in them. One thing. Sometimes I could scream cause she doesn't explain exactly what it is she's doing and you have to flick between her and the diagram and you get lost and stuff.

And I'll have a look at what else I got later...

I'm really fininky I know

Page 1 of 26 123456711 ... LastLast