Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Reen.Blom, couldn't ask for a better reply... I'm hoping to purchase these DVDs from the same sites you did unless other family members want Amazon stuff as well.

Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Argh the suspense is killing me, I ordered my DVDs a couple days ago and can't wait to get them, I'm itching to to get drilling.

Post Thanks / Like

Review of Drills, Drills, Drills by Michelle Joyce

this dvd is designed to start you on the process of layering, not by teaching individual combinations, or a choreography, but by exercising your muscle memory. It starts with strenghthening (killer) exercises, including glutes (see 2 sepatate threads).
    after that you practice various basic moves eg hip up, hip down, hip square, ommi, maya etc - poss more, going to the right and left, changing leading hip. first practice is over a simple foot and arm pattern, then over a grapevine. you then learn 3 simple zill patterns and use these 2 create a further layer. I had always said I was not interested in learning zils, but I like this aspect of using them as a brain trainer.
    This is difficult to get because you are not combining 2 movements, but 2, 3 or 4 patterns. V challenging.

Next there is practice of 3/4 shimmies with hip up, then hip down.

after that shimmy practice, agai with arm and leg movements.

Finally, there is a choreography of the patterns learnt, not because any of them are worth dancing as such, but to practice the skill of learning a choreography, and of switching between patterns.
    I did some of this last night, but some of the time I just slumped on settee in awe. There is plenty of content to keep me happy for months. It addresses my problem of not being able to co-ordinate my feet with the rest of me, for example, I can do all sorts of complicated things with the rest of my body, whilst falling over myown feet.

YouTube - Drills! Drills! Drills! - belly dance DVD trailer

I also have her Pop, Lock and Shimmy which I may have already reviewed. This teaches a drum solo by way of drills, although I think Drills, Drills, Drills will be more useful to any style dancer as it is more general. plenty to work on in both dvds though, and they are both in my top favourites for working on.

YouTube - Pop, Lock and Shimmy - Drum Solo Technique and Choreography

Also check out Secrets of the Stage, which is on my wish list for later

the website is Belly Dance DVDs - Cheeky Girls Productions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Review of Drills, Drills, Drills by Michelle Joyce

this dvd is designed to start you on the process of layering, not by teaching individual combinations, or a choreography, but by exercising your muscle memory. It starts with strenghthening (killer) exercises, including glutes (see 2 sepatate threads).
    after that you practice various basic moves eg hip up, hip down, hip square, ommi, maya etc - poss more, going to the right and left, changing leading hip. first practice is over a simple foot and arm pattern, then over a grapevine. you then learn 3 simple zill patterns and use these 2 create a further layer. I had always said I was not interested in learning zils, but I like this aspect of using them as a brain trainer.
    This is difficult to get because you are not combining 2 movements, but 2, 3 or 4 patterns. V challenging.

Next there is practice of 3/4 shimmies with hip up, then hip down.

after that shimmy practice, agai with arm and leg movements.

Finally, there is a choreography of the patterns learnt, not because any of them are worth dancing as such, but to practice the skill of learning a choreography, and of switching between patterns.
    I did some of this last night, but some of the time I just slumped on settee in awe. There is plenty of content to keep me happy for months. It addresses my problem of not being able to co-ordinate my feet with the rest of me, for example, I can do all sorts of complicated things with the rest of my body, whilst falling over myown feet.

YouTube - Drills! Drills! Drills! - belly dance DVD trailer

I also have her Pop, Lock and Shimmy which I may have already reviewed. This teaches a drum solo by way of drills, although I think Drills, Drills, Drills will be more useful to any style dancer as it is more general. plenty to work on in both dvds though, and they are both in my top favourites for working on.

YouTube - Pop, Lock and Shimmy - Drum Solo Technique and Choreography

Also check out Secrets of the Stage, which is on my wish list for later

the website is Belly Dance DVDs - Cheeky Girls Productions
    Thank you so much for review! It just looks like a DVD I would like.... It just could be my next one..... very tempting! Also link to the site is Quite useful, interesting discs!

**hug**

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for these reviews, I will be having my first lesson on tuesdy, but thought i would invest in a few DVD's for me to practice, during the week. I love to dance, but have not done any structured kind of dance, and i cant wait to get into these, I just ordered the following off amazon, based on your reviews, I have put off ordering any for a long while because i didnto wantto just orde rany old DVD,

The Art of the Drum Solo With Sonia & Issam

Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning

The Heartbeat Of Bellydance

Bellydance: The Next Level with Jenna

i cant wait to get them, I know some are way past beginners, but I would still love to give them ago eventually, plus I am so enthused just now lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you are only just starting I strongly recommend that you get the first Jenna Beyond Basic Dance - I still use this regularly after 18 months dancing, still haven't got all of it down and am only just starting on the others you mention.
    The next Level is intended for dancers of 18 months to 2 years experience and I am finding it difficult, so am still only doing a little bit each day.
    all the dvds you mention are very good but you may not be able to do much with them for a while. I got some of them after a year and was a little taken aback to find I couldn't do them straight away.
    Good luck with your new class, which one are you going for?
    Last edited by jenc; 04-06-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    If you are only just starting I strongly recommend that you get the first Jenna Beyond Basic Dance - I still use this regularly after 18 months dancing, still haven't got all of it down and am only just starting on the others you mention.
    The next Level is intended for dancers of 18 months to 2 years experience and I am finding it difficult, so am still only doing a little bit each day.
    all the dvds you mention are very good but you may not be able to do much with them for a while. I got some of them after a year and was a little taken aback to find I couldn't do them straight away.
    Good luck with your new class, which one are you going for?
    Thank you for the advice, yes i figured the others were a little too advanced , but when i get into something i go at it all guns blazing lol. I have decided t go with the class which is more established.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to review [I]Sensual Bellydance[I] by Blanca. I think I have seen someone somewhere (Ayizade?)say how much they like it, but I thought it should be reviewed here.
    Having done a lot of drilling to get clean isolations, I was very pleased to get this dvd as it teaches how to move the whole body around your isolation, if that makes sense. in other words how to gently flow like a wave. you learn a choreography, but you also go over the moves in detail, once t learn, once to improve the flow, once upper body, once lower body. Well you choose the emphasis. The chorography is a nice flamenco influenced one, and the whole thing puts you back together if you have been drilling too hard!
    Last edited by jenc; 04-06-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Could anyone give me advice on which Shareen al Safry to get?. I've been dancing about 18 months

Post Thanks / Like

only one of her DVD versions is chaptered. So most you have to go through like you would a video. The thing about her material is that its very informational and about 2 hours long. As she teaches the choreography she teaches the moves, tells you where she got them, etc. I find them to be worth having. As to which one? I don't know, I like all that i've gotten.