What instructional DVDs/Videos you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankhet

I just dont like the way Dolphina moves- so I would never be able to use her DVD... I looked at the clips on her site and it was enough to make me decide I dont want anything to do with her DVDs... LOL

I saw here "snake arms" that look somewhat clumsy and like a windmill... and also that stupid "i-am-a-belly-dancer" 'I-am-a-god-des' zill drill... just to watch that preview clip uas enough to drive me up the wall... it even became a family joke... Is it self-hypnosys or what? LOL

Oh no... well at least I got it cheap!:rolleyes:

Eve

Anyone Has Rachel Brice's Arm DVD yet?

Yes - not watched all of it yet but from what I've seen so far if you're looking to develop drills that increase range of motion in the shoulders and movement that are particular to RD/BDSS tribal stylisation it would be beneficial.
The bad is the very annoying cut aways druing the performance, I want to see the dancer dance not how many cuts the editor can make.

Eve

Dolphina - I know a teacher who uses the 'I am a bellydancer' method for zills, the girls didn't know what rhythm they were zilling to though....

That being said I did an Ava Flemming workshop where she used 'yum yum coffee shop coffee shop yum' for beledy :) that just confused me.

I don't have a problem using this method as it's just one way of learning.

Reen.Blom

Yes - not watched all of it yet but from what I've seen so far if you're looking to develop drills that increase range of motion in the shoulders and movement that are particular to RD/BDSS tribal stylisation it would be beneficial.
The bad is the very annoying cut aways druing the performance, I want to see the dancer dance not how many cuts the editor can make.

How long is it and what sections are included?

Thanks for review!!!

Farasha Hanem

What would be considered the definitive DVD on snake arms? :think:

The only place I've been able to buy DVD's is Hasting's. I can't order online unless a site allows the use of a gift card, like Wal-Mart. My hubby says, "NO ORDERING ANYTHING ONLINE!" Unless it's with a gift card. :(

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I can't order online unless a site allows the use of a gift card, like Wal-Mart. My hubby says, "NO ORDERING ANYTHING ONLINE!" Unless it's with a gift card. :(

What about getting a paypal account? You can set up a single bank account for it, so it's not tied to any credit cards or your main checking account. That's what I did.

OR

Call the vendor of the DVD you want. Most private sellers will agree to let you send them a check. Kevin at Ocean State Media is REALLY good about this. My mom doesn't have a computer, so when she buys me dvds as gifts she just calls Kevin and says I'll send you a check.

Reen.Blom

Yep paypal is the way to go... good for ebay, Salome's store and I used in on Jenna's website.... safe quick and reliable....

Lady Butterfly, As for snake arms.... I belive it should be something that comes from developed shoulder and arm control!!! Any DVD that you work to build up muscule strength and control- I prefer Ariellah, but remember she is freaky and teaches tribal arms, but nothing works better for me on developing muscules (I do not mean just strength but also control and diapason of movement) like her drills- I believe her DVD is great value for money!

But remember, you should be ok with her Gothic style.... Check out her youTube preview if you like her stuff!

Good luck!
PS I am glad you got your name changed! Yippy!

nicknack

Ok I have a couple on my "to buy" list for when I get payed.

Essential Technique With Virginia: I want to knock my techique into shape, and this looks like the perfect way to get back to basics and drill moves.

Oriental Dance by Aradia: Hoping this will serve a double purpose of gaining a better understanding of the different styles, and how to put moves together into combinations and choreo (only choreo dvd I've ever taken notice of is "Heartbeat of Bellydance" mostly I improv)

I'm also thinking of getting Sensual Bellydance, and I'm looking for a good DVD for zills, any thoughts?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I have the choreography one with Virginia but haven't looked at it in ages. It seems a nice Egyptian choreo.

I just ordered both Aradia's dvd and Sensual bellydance. Should get them in about a week or so. Want me to let you know what they're like?

For Zills, I LOVE Z-Helene's video, but she doesn't actually have you practice while dancing. For what it's worth, the Hahbi Ru Cymbal dance is a choreography, but it goes over SO MUCH as far as dancing and playing cymbals that I would rate it my favorite instructional. Learn the dance and it's a GREAT zill drill too.

I have the Momo Kadous video, but I have never gotten all the way through it. It drives me nuts -- too many arm positions and ballet stuff. I can watch it this weekend and see if it ever goes anywhere. Neon's coming out with a zill instructional in november, I think. With Elsa Leandros, if I remember correctly.

Ok I have a couple on my "to buy" list for when I get payed.

Essential Technique With Virginia: I want to knock my techique into shape, and this looks like the perfect way to get back to basics and drill moves.

Oriental Dance by Aradia: Hoping this will serve a double purpose of gaining a better understanding of the different styles, and how to put moves together into combinations and choreo (only choreo dvd I've ever taken notice of is "Heartbeat of Bellydance" mostly I improv)

I'm also thinking of getting Sensual Bellydance, and I'm looking for a good DVD for zills, any thoughts?

Ankhet

I got my Dolphina finger cymbals DVD today and I have watched it. I don't know...I was hoping she would show how to strike the zills together. I cannot see her hands as she does it.:think: I need a better DVD, any suggestions for this baby belly dancer?

nicknack

I just ordered both Aradia's dvd and Sensual bellydance. Should get them in about a week or so. Want me to let you know what they're like?

That'd be great, thanks. One downside: I don't think I'll have any money left when I'm done shopping (I'm going to have to budget for DVD's I'm an addict lol)

Oba Bear

I have the DVD from "The Art of Belly Dance" by Carolina Nericco that my teacher burned for me when I told her I want to do Tribal/Tribal Fusion. I covers most of the movements used in ATS except for cues. I don't plan on doing pure ATS so I'm pretty happy with it. I also currently have "Contemporary Belly Dance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah" and "Belly Dance Arms & Posture, A Practice for Carriage, Coiling and Serpentine Stylization with Rachel Brice". Both of them I just got last weekend. I've watched both and practiced with Ariellah's so far. After using it once my instructor noticed I was isolating my ribs better and leaving out my shoulders more. Along with that I'm also waiting on Rachel Brice's first DVD that was supposed to come with the other two I have now, but there was a mix up with shipping. Then for Christmas my mom asked what I wanted, I told her a some DVDs. Like my dance teacher said, you can never have too many. The ones I listed were: "East Coast Tribal with Sera", "Tribal Fusion NYC with Darshan", "Fluid Precusion - Contemporary Tribal Belly Dance with kassar", "Tribal Fusion with Sharon Kihara, Technique and Conditioning".

Reen.Blom

I got my Dolphina finger cymbals DVD today and I have watched it. I don't know...I was hoping she would show how to strike the zills together. I cannot see her hands as she does it.:think: I need a better DVD, any suggestions for this baby belly dancer?

I was wondering the same...

Anyone has Mesmera's or Ansuya's DVD on zills?

catwomyn

I have both Mesmera's and Ansuya's zill videos.

As someone who is not naturally musical and a bit of a slow learner, I'm finding Ansuya's very methodical step-by-step method very helpful. She starts with breaking down the zill pattern, then helps you to add a movement to it, then you do the whole thing to music.

Mesmera's video goes over things like the different sounds you can make with the zills, rolls, some specific rhythms. It's well organized.

Ankhet

I have both Mesmera's and Ansuya's zill videos.

As someone who is not naturally musical and a bit of a slow learner, I'm finding Ansuya's very methodical step-by-step method very helpful. She starts with breaking down the zill pattern, then helps you to add a movement to it, then you do the whole thing to music.

Mesmera's video goes over things like the different sounds you can make with the zills, rolls, some specific rhythms. It's well organized.

These sound just like what I'm looking for! Thank you!:dance:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Oba, can you give us a brief review of the Rachel Brice arms dvd? I'm really curious about this one. Thanks!

I have the DVD from "The Art of Belly Dance" by Carolina Nericco that my teacher burned for me when I told her I want to do Tribal/Tribal Fusion. I covers most of the movements used in ATS except for cues. I don't plan on doing pure ATS so I'm pretty happy with it. I also currently have "Contemporary Belly Dance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah" and "Belly Dance Arms & Posture, A Practice for Carriage, Coiling and Serpentine Stylization with Rachel Brice". Both of them I just got last weekend. I've watched both and practiced with Ariellah's so far. After using it once my instructor noticed I was isolating my ribs better and leaving out my shoulders more. Along with that I'm also waiting on Rachel Brice's first DVD that was supposed to come with the other two I have now, but there was a mix up with shipping. Then for Christmas my mom asked what I wanted, I told her a some DVDs. Like my dance teacher said, you can never have too many. The ones I listed were: "East Coast Tribal with Sera", "Tribal Fusion NYC with Darshan", "Fluid Precusion - Contemporary Tribal Belly Dance with kassar", "Tribal Fusion with Sharon Kihara, Technique and Conditioning".

PriscillaAdum

Gosh, I have about 300 videos that I've purchased over the years. I admit some of them are really sucky, but I'm such a pack rat that I've never even thought of selling them. :redface:
My absolute favorite video of all time, and the one I've used most is definitely Z-Helene's zill video. It's an intermediate/advanced level finger cymbal video and it'll keep you working on your zills for YEARS. I'm not kidding.
My other favorites are Lulu Sabongi's instructional series. She's an excellent teacher and dancer, and even if you don't speak portugese they're fairly easy to follow along, and some ARE subtitled. She's got some steps in there that I haven't seen taught in American videos. Ditto for Soraia Zaied's instructionals.
My other two latest favorites are Tamra Henna's new IAMED DVD, and Zahra Zuhair's Magnificent Moves. Wonderful Egyptian style technique in those.

Regards
Priscilla

Amanda (was Aziyade)

DVDS Recommended Once, now regretfully?

Have you ever recommended a dvd or series of them, based on what you remembered about them, but then watched them later and thought "What was I thinking???"

I had that experience recently. I was cleaning out my "studio" and found a well-known dancer's instructional tapes (on American Cabaret) so I thought I'd watch them again.

Of course, the things were filmed in the 80's and so the costuming and music was very dated, but one of the volumes wasn't nearly as good as the other two, and not really very good at all, considering what's available now.

This particular instructor I've actually had a workshop with and liked, but I remembered thinking at the time that she didn't TEACH so much as just demonstrate, which is no big deal. But I'm looking at her videos and wondering how on EARTH I ever learned anything from that one in particular! She has recently been on line lamenting her lack of sales for her videos. I have to wonder if maybe it's just cause there are options out there that are just BETTER. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.