What instructional DVDs/Videos you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reen.Blom

It is actually so great that there are new DVDs coming out every year that there is quite a selection at an affordable price!

Where is my Christmas list???? LOL

Michelle A

I'm also addicted to the DVD's :D
Here's what I have.

Amira's Bellydance 101, great 1st DVD, very basic
Jenna's Basics and Beyond, Heartbeat of BellyDance, these are my favorites of the collection, still use them almost every practice. :clap:
Neena & Veena's Discover BellyDance series. Ok, but slow and boring. I actually do them on fast forward :lol:
Ansuya's Magic of Bellydance (mostly choreo) it's OK
Ansuya's Hot Combos & All New Hot Combos, I like these.
Ansuya's Lavish Layers & Luscious Layers, they're ok, I was hoping for something more/different from her. I took a layering workshop from Aubre Hill and it was so awesome. Aubre should be coming out with an instructional DVD soon and I will buy it.
Jillina's level 1, ok for the choreo, I don't prefer her teaching style, I doubt that I'll pick up 2 or 3.
Neon's Instant Bellydancer 1&2, first impression was aweful, but I try them again every few months. It's too fast pace for a real beginner, but she does get you combining moves and travelling.
Aziza's Veil, haven't used much yet.
Ava Fleming's Dynamic Combos, I really like this one, lots of useful steps for travelling.
Rania's Bellydance fitness for weight loss series, Jane Fonda-ish aerobic routine with bellydance moves. IMO these will only reinforce bad habits. I only use her bonus workout material (probably should have tried to get my $ back) :(
Suhaila's Bellydance fitness fusion, these ones are great, maybe someday I'll be able to do a whole DVD in one session ;)
Rachel Brice's Yoga, Isolations and drills. I skip the yoga but I love her drills. Another one that I practice with very often.

Rachel Brice's Arms & Posture: a lot of you are asking about this one.
1. Preparation (warmup, stretches)
2. Dance movement preparation (short workout, squats)
3. Shoulder sequence (shoulder workout)
4. Examples of arm placement in dance (breakdown of a few shoulder moves)
5. Practical applications (short choreo using moves above)
6. Ending stretches
7. Performance
Great DVD, if her style is what you're trying to achieve. Every move is definitely "Rachel". She does a wonderful job breaking it all down and showing how to put it together. Not too much yoga on here, which is good for me. Performance was disappointing though, as usual with her too many angle changes/single body part close-ups, etc. I do wish she would smile sometimes.

Reen.Blom

I'm also addicted to the DVD's :D
Here's what I have.

Amira's Bellydance 101, great 1st DVD, very basic
Jenna's Basics and Beyond, Heartbeat of BellyDance, these are my favorites of the collection, still use them almost every practice. :clap:
Neena & Veena's Discover BellyDance series. Ok, but slow and boring. I actually do them on fast forward :lol:
Ansuya's Magic of Bellydance (mostly choreo) it's OK
Ansuya's Hot Combos & All New Hot Combos, I like these.
Ansuya's Lavish Layers & Luscious Layers, they're ok, I was hoping for something more/different from her. I took a layering workshop from Aubre Hill and it was so awesome. Aubre should be coming out with an instructional DVD soon and I will buy it.
Jillina's level 1, ok for the choreo, I don't prefer her teaching style, I doubt that I'll pick up 2 or 3.
Neon's Instant Bellydancer 1&2, first impression was aweful, but I try them again every few months. It's too fast pace for a real beginner, but she does get you combining moves and travelling.
Aziza's Veil, haven't used much yet.
Ava Fleming's Dynamic Combos, I really like this one, lots of useful steps for travelling.
Rania's Bellydance fitness for weight loss series, Jane Fonda-ish aerobic routine with bellydance moves. IMO these will only reinforce bad habits. I only use her bonus workout material (probably should have tried to get my $ back) :(
Suhaila's Bellydance fitness fusion, these ones are great, maybe someday I'll be able to do a whole DVD in one session ;)
Rachel Brice's Yoga, Isolations and drills. I skip the yoga but I love her drills. Another one that I practice with very often.

6. Ending stretches
7. Performance
Great DVD, if her style is what you're trying to achieve. Every move is definitely "Rachel". She does a wonderful job breaking it all down and showing how to put it together. Not too much yoga on here, which is good for me. Performance was disappointing though, as usual with her too many angle changes/single body part close-ups, etc. I do wish she would smile sometimes.
Thank you for Rachel's DVd review!

fadua21

Let's see: I have S. Salimpour fitness series for BD,
Rania series,
Amira Amohr (spelling?),
Neon,
Dolphina,
Jenna Basics and Beyond,
Jenna Heartbeat of Bellydance,
Neena and Veena,
Jillina, the series,
Bellydance for wimps

My favorites: Suhaila Salimpour and Jenna
My least favorites, Dolphina and Rania
The rest of them...just... I don't know...

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I broke the 300 mark a while back -- but I include some Flamenco and Persian dance and folkloric stuff too. Want the whole list? It's a monster.

Do you ever regret selling your videos? I sold some performance videos once because they were mostly American Cabaret style, and I wasn't into that at the time. Now I wish I had them back.

Oba Bear

6. Ending stretches
7. Performance
Yes. I agree with you on the performance. BDSS need to learn to quit being so artsy with their camera cuts.

I agree with everything else you listed too. I just wish she add maybe one or two more combinations to work with too. But still it had an excellent breakdown of her serpentine style. I learned just by watching it myself.

Michelle A

I haven't sold any yet, I loaned out Amira's DVD because it was so basic but I already want it back for the performance.

Aziyade, you often mention Suhaila level 2, I was wondering if you have all of her DVD's, if you could list them and a quick review of what they offer? I'm thinking of getting some because I do like her teaching style on the fitness series, but haven't been able to find any real reviews of the material.

Thanks in advance :)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I haven't sold any yet, I loaned out Amira's DVD because it was so basic but I already want it back for the performance.

Aziyade, you often mention Suhaila level 2, I was wondering if you have all of her DVD's, if you could list them and a quick review of what they offer? I'm thinking of getting some because I do like her teaching style on the fitness series, but haven't been able to find any real reviews of the material.

Thanks in advance :)

Ah, sorry about that. I tend to think she's universal and she's not :)

When I refer to Level 2 material, I'm not talking about any videos or dvds (YET!) What I mean is the stuff she teaches in her Level 2 workshops, and the things in the manual to help you pass the Level 2 test. Basically, a lot of Level 2 is rudimentary layering, and being able to do 2 things on your body at once.

The Fitness Fusion series is the closest you'll get to her "Level" or Certification material. Those dvds are sort of like level .5 LOL

Her older choreography videos are cute, but plain old Am Cab and were produced before she really formulated her method, but the 3rd one "Advanced" does a little of the layering.

And by layering, I'm talking about doing 2 things at once, but not necessarily layering a shimmy over everything. Like, in one of the old Black and White movies, Nabaweya Moustafa does a horizontal hip figure 8, and layers little tiny hip drops on top of it. It's such a cute move I HAD to steal it! LOL. I'm sure she wasn't the first either!

Does that help any? If not, I can be overly descriptive, as usual :)

Michelle A

That's exactly what I needed to know! I got a taste of layering moves from Aubre Hill's workshop (she still studies w/Suhaila) and I'm looking for more! She was talking about muscle sharing of the moves, etc. Another one we worked on was layering omi's and reverse undulations, very cool. Your review of Michelle Joyce's DVD on Bhuz sounds like it might be what I'm looking for, any others to suggest?

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Oh Aubre!! God, I love her! She's incredible. If you like the Suhaila format, give me a day or so and I'll send you the drills she gave us. There aren't really any videos out there that cover anything more than what you would learn on the Fitness Fusion dvds (that's been my complaint with teh Tribal Fusion dvds available -- it's all Suhaila Level 1 stuff!) Michelle's covers a few cute layers.

Basic stuff, like layer glute squeeze lifts with every hip move, and layer undulations (both ways) with all the hip work. Layer the hip work on top of travelling steps. Layer chest slides and locks up and down with glute squeezes and hip work. Really, just write down all your basic hip and chest isolations, add in undulations and reverse undulations, and pick any 2 to layer!

Ankhet

I just got Belly Dance Abs with Neon from the Belly Dance Store.:D I gave it a go and it was nice. :cool:

Q-Tip

I just ordered:

"Rachel Brice: Bellydance Arms and Posture"

and

"Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah"

They are scheduled to arrive on Friday 11/16/07 :dance:

(The next purchase will probably be zills or veil instructional dvd's but that will probably be a few months away.....)

Q-Tip

ACK! they didn't ship until the 16th so they won't be here until Tuesday (20th) or Wednesday (21st)- - I want them before the holiday weekend :pray:

LLAIMA

Hi Farasha, google "Dancer's Arms by Arana" there is I don't own the dvd but I read a good review about it.

Q-Tip

Please keep in mind that I am a beginner and do not have access to an instructor at this time. I have not taken any classes and my only source of instruction is this website, youtube and the DVD's that I have purchased. (Some of you are cringing & I'm sorry about that)

With that having been said:

****HERE IS MY REVIEW OF****

Contemporary Belly Dance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah

The DVD gives you a lot of options, there is a short and full yoga warm-up. Yoga is yoga.

Pressed for time? Go for the short warm-up and then off to the drills of your choice.

Already warmed up and need to drill? Just pick the drills of your choice and shimmy on.

• She explains each movement in enough detail that I can close my eyes and probably get it right.
  • She explains where your feet should be, where the weight is distributed, where your arms should be as well as other body posture(s) but not in a manner that is overly repetitive.
  • She gets just a tad off balance once or twice but to me that means that she isn't perfect and neither am I. (I know that it's harder to do some of this stuff slowly.)
  • She drills each movement independently. (I can pick what I need to work on.)
  • She drills each movement slowly and then increases speed. (I can stay in slow mode if I need to)
  • She shows you combinations of the movements that were drilled by doing one movement at a time and explaining how to transition to the next movement. (I'm a clutz so this is helpful)

The camera does change angles here and there but normally she is the one that moves to show you the movement specifics.

The music doesn't overpower you or distract from the movements. It's loud enough but not too loud.

She does 3 different performances in which you get to see each movement and how she layers them.

Main Menu

Drill Sub Menu

Song List

Album Information

If you need a drill video - I recommend this DVD.
If you need a little extra practice or a brush up - I recommend this DVD.
If you have a student who needs a little extra practice - I recommend this DVD.
If you are already an expert you will probably hate this video.

It's my newbie opinion that every Belly Dance student should have this in his/her arsenal.

I think it was worth my money.

I guess I've rambled on long enough........... :D

Q-Tip

Please keep in mind that I am a beginner and do not have access to an instructor at this time. I have not taken any classes and my only source of instruction is this website, youtube and the DVD's that I have purchased. (Some of you are cringing & I'm sorry about that)

With that having been said:

****HERE IS MY REVIEW OF****

Bellydance Arms & Posture - Rachel Brice

The DVD gives you a lot of options, the yoga warm up(s) are very thorough. Yoga is yoga. (I thought the warm up should be shorter, however, a thorough warm-up can prevent injuries so I understand why emphasis is placed on it.)

There is a cool down sequence but again yoga is yoga.

Already warmed up and need to drill? Just pick the drills of your choice and coil away.

• She explains each movement in detail.
  • She explains where each upper body part is and where it should be pointed. Body posture(s) is reinforced but not in a manner that is overly repetitive.
  • She drills each movement independently. (I can pick what I need to work on.)
  • She drills each movement slowly and then increases speed on some. (I can stay in slow mode if I need to)
  • She shows you combinations of the movements that were drilled by doing one movement at a time and explaining how to transition to the next movement. (I'm a clutz so this is helpful)
The music doesn't overpower you or distract from the movements. It's loud enough but not too loud or too weird.

IMO Her perfomance video is entirely too short. I love to watch her dance so it could have been an 20 min long and it would still be too short. ;)

Her interview was also too short, but alas it's an exercise video and not a documentory or is that shimmymentory? :D

Main Menu

Chapter Selection

Chapter Detail List for Chapter 2

Chapter Detail List for Chapter 3

If you need a drill video for your shoulders and arms - I recommend this DVD.
If you need a little extra practice or a brush up - I recommend this DVD.
If you have a student who needs a little extra arm practice - I recommend this DVD.
If you are already an expert you will probably hate this video.

My arm movements look horrible and are not very fluid so I think a drill video for just arms/shoulders was worth my money.

:D

All in all I think that the money I spent for the 2 dvd's that I've reviewed was worth it. I just have to pop them in and press play.

I don't have any belly dancers close so I can't 'borrow' a dvd to see if I would like it before buying. The snippits that you see on youtube or on amazon don't really tell a newbie what they need to know.They also don't have BD dvd's at my library and so far the inter-library loans haven't come through. So the only option I have is buying them and I HATE buying a DVD only to learn that it's not very good. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.