What instructional DVDs/Videos you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missanime

Would you consider this vid a beginners?

Hip-notic Belly Dance DVD with Kaya

If not, please recommend one that's easy to follow.

Yes, that one is basics :) But one I'd recommend and liked alot is Sadie's Thrillin Drillin - in a gives you a good solid foundation and taught in a naturally progressive method, the content has tons of good basic moves while also challenging enough for the beginner :) Search on youtube to find a style of learning you like - everyone learns differently and at different speeds.

But the DANCE style is simply the 'flavor' you give to your learned bellydance, like adding different sprinkles to your icecream cone ;)

Good luck, and hope you have fun!

KestrelAradia

Just got a huge payout from doing surveys:rolleyes: So I spent some of my earnings on
Bellydance Basics and Beyond: Technique for a Solid Foundation by Jenna
Instant Bellydancer: A Crash Course in Belly Dance 2-DVD Set
and a three disk yoga DVD... can't remember the name at the moment

I might get Ariellah's DVD but I'll wait to see how these workout :D

jjj

Hi KestrelAradia!!!

Can you tell me if Bellydance Basics and Beyond is for a totally new beginner. Once you receive it of course.

Ahava_Melantha

i have all of jennas dvds. belly dance basics and beyond IS a good beginners dvd but i wouldn't recommend it for a brand new beginner. i would recommend it maybe after you've been acquainted with a brand new beginner dvd. otherwise i think it would be super frusterating to work with. i think it would be a steeper learning curve.

Taslin

Im loving Atumn Ward's beautiful technique right now-i am shocked at how much learning i am doing on the arm and hand technique. I realized i have never actually had instruction on hands until this video.

I love her teaching style in this dvd-and it truely does give you the basic's of her signature style. Alot of dvd's you wont end up looking like the instructor, but she does give alot of her signature accents and moves alot of attention on here. So if you like her style i recommend this highly.

Im really happy with it. Probably not a beginner's dvd though more to add that extra something to your dance once beyond basic's.

I have Ruby's arms dvd and i like it but, this one has helped me with my arms more.

KestrelAradia

I just got Neon's 2 Disk Instant Bellydancer in the mail today.
I previewed it and I love it. She has a little animation plane that shows how your body is supposed to move while doing the move.
She also demontrates and talks about variations on the move, which is something I really appreciate.

I never was an uber fan of Neon but I really like her clear and calm way of intruction. In between each lesson she puts together short combinations that forces you to put those move into your muscle memory.

The whole first CD is around an hour and thirty minutes (as well as the second CD).
The whole package was around 3 hours, so not bad for a 10 dollar purchase:cool:

What I didn't like was the music, which was like a new age-y feel, so there wasn't really a set tempo and that was a bit weird to me.
Antoher thing I wasn't a fan of was her lack of middle eastern terminology. She called camels and mayas "Infinity circles"
Amusing but strange.

I'm looking forward to practicing with it and viewing part 2:D

PS Her accent is so cute! Does anyone know where she's from?:lol:

Darshiva

"Infinity circles"? That's so cute!

I'm also a descriptive teacher rather than a labelling teacher (there is absolutely NO POINT in giving something a label if someone else gives a different move the same label & you both dance the same genre - that's why I use descriptives, that way everyone knows what move we're supposed to be doing without me doing it first!)

I am using that label as a memory jog for students. How could I not, it's sooooooooooooo cute!

KestrelAradia

"Infinity circles"? That's so cute!

I'm also a descriptive teacher rather than a labelling teacher (there is absolutely NO POINT in giving something a label if someone else gives a different move the same label & you both dance the same genre - that's why I use descriptives, that way everyone knows what move we're supposed to be doing without me doing it first!)

I am using that label as a memory jog for students. How could I not, it's sooooooooooooo cute!

I can definitely understand why you would want to be a descriptive teacher. Just the other day I got confused in class what a 3/4 shimmy was (I was taught a different variation than what my current teacher taught)

My teacher is a labeller, which is really the only problem I have with Neon calling them "infinity circles" instead of the ME name. Other than that I'm finding them to be a very helpful, I think I'll get a lot of use from this one

gisela

Super Moderator
Thank you Sirène :)

I'm going to lock this thread now so we can focus on the new version. This will still be available for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.