What instructional DVDs/Videos you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teela

If its the Turkish Instructional DVD, then its well worth every cent becauswe there are few DVD's on the topic out. Artemis is coming up in March to do a workshop and I'm going to go. I hate taking time off but this I will do. Her Turkish Instrucitonal DVD is great because it talks about music, moves for fast and slow music, combinations, hand movements, etc. According to her web site she has some more due out next year. You can get her DVD through several sources.

slinks

I have most of the dvds that are mentioned here so I won't repeat those, I'll list what has not been written (I hope) I'm an American Caberet fan, I have all of Alexandra King's, about 11 of Veda Sereem's, all of Shamira's, Aziza veil, Alyne's double veil,

(not Am Cab) both of Keti's A-Z, Aisha Azar's, 4 of Hadia's, Sonia and Issam,

That's about all I can think of at the moment .. I've been dancing 9 years and this plus most of the others (mentioned, take out a few) is a collection I've bought over the years ...

Sara

I only found some available at Aladdins cave and they charge way too much. :naghty: I never buy from them.

charity

i buy from amazon too. harder to find ones might be on ebay though. but you have to watch ebay, people bid way over price. if you search you can find for cheaper somewhere else. never heard of play.com. is that for downloads?

Reen.Blom

I think my next DVD is going to be Ariellah's, I really like the way she moves, and also want to try some yoga....

strawberry

Jillina's Level 1 This one is okay. Nice for beginners, but not a must have. The moves are so basic you could learn them elsewhere.
Jillina's Level 2 This one was really good. it teaches moves like omi, reverse camel.. was very helpful, although the choreography isn't very good.
Jillina's level 3 I haven't worked on this one much yet, but I don't really like the moves she teaches here, or the choreography.
Heartbeat of bellydance by Jenna This dvd is really good, i recommend it to anyone wanting to learn drum solo's.

I am about to buy Sadie's dvd, and perhaps another.. any recommendations?

charity

i just wanted to say that i love my dvds, i think they are a great alternative instructional forum for learning the mechanics of the basics. plus you can learn at your own pace and take pieces from various dvds and put it altogether in a practice session tailored to your own needs.

teela

Strawberry, Sadie's drum solo is rather nice with lots of moves but I find it difficult to follow since it has a lot of pops, etc. It is pretty much a straight choreography. I actually prefer Sonia's drum solo or heartbeat as both has more information on various rhythms and the movements associated with that rhythm. In fact, heartbeat has three choreographed drum solos in half of the DVD and the other half is where Raqie (spelling, sorry) plays various rhythms and Jenna demonstrates various moves that can be done to the rhythms. In sonia's they play each rhythm, she demonstrates steps and then the steps are practice. There is a choreography at the end of the DVD that they teach.

orlea

Hi,

I have to learn mostly just from DVD's too, as we don't have access to professional teaching here. That said, we have gone, in the last three months, from having nothing at all, to having two 'classes' running. Unfortunately, they're definitely in the 'learning a few gentle, basic belly-moves to music' category, rather than actual 'dance' instruction.

I think its important to support these 'classes' and hope that they will eventually evolve. One of the class leaders is thinking of maybe starting something more dance focused in Autumn, which will be something to look forward to. At the moment, I just go for a bit of exercise and the company of the other ladies.

My favourite DVD'S for basic technique are listed below. These opinions are based just on the teaching and instruction quality, not whether I like the teacher(s) personal dance style :)

Jenna - Basics & Beyond
Heartbeat of Bellydance

Best instructionals I've bought so far. Really easy to follow and I think that they are fantastic value for money.

Neon-Instant Bellydancer - Crash Course in Bellydance (2 dvd set).
Bellydance Party

She does loads of combos in these, actually. She demonstrates how each move can be used in or as a travel step - apart from Jenna's DVD above, none of the other dvd's seem to cover this really important aspect.

Virginia One-on-One

Veena & Neena

Got 1 and 2 of the Discover Bellydance three disc set. Haven't seen the 3rd, Mystic Dance, yet.

-these definitely have a place, in my book. Simple, easy to follow, with the bonus of learning two short dances.

Not intimidating, like many of the other so called basic or beginners instructionals I've watched, which put me off starting for ages!!

Rania - Haven't seen her DVD's but I borrowed her book from the local Library - it's great as a reference.

Saqra - Beginning Isolation - this is a good quality 'home' production, ordered direct from Saqra in Canada. While it's not as slick and flashy as the commercial ones, it really is very clear to follow and very useful.

She also does a bit on basic zills, etc. which none of the others I have cover.

Saqra presents in a very straightforward and accessible way and replied personally to questions I had about some of the moves she shows. Very nice, helpful lady!

Not so keen:

Delilah - Absolute Beginning Bellydance

I was really disappointed with this Delilah DVD. I had heard brilliant things about her 3 DVD teaching set but, as an ablsolute beginner, took the title at face value, and decided to go with her Abolute Beginnings.

It cost me a fortune to order from the US and turned out be more of an explanation of her dance philosophy, rather than an instructional. It's all good, what she says, well presented and very interesting and I definitely DO think it has a place - but it's title is very misleading.

I'm not convinced now, if the presentation format is the same, that it would be worth it spending the money on her others. Unless someone who is or has been learning from these can convince me otherwise?

Belly Dance Jam by BellyQueen

Hmm........what can I say, it was okay in parts...but they were pretty few and far between......

Hope this helps,
Orlea

Reen.Blom

Rania - Haven't seen her DVD's but I borrowed her book from the local Library - it's great as a reference.

Rania's DVDs are the worst in my collection, more fitness than anything and the choreography one also waste of money. But most of all I cant look at her stiff arms!:confused:

Thank for posting your list Orlea!

Reen.Blom

I just received "Heartbeat of Belly dance" by Jenna and it is awesome! I love it!

Unfortunately my parcel was open and "Basics and Beyond" disc got stolen so I just got the cover :(

Guess what? Guess what?

Jenna sent me a replacement DVD as a gift!

(I ordered from her site ( ::: BeyondBellydance ::: Jenna ::: Venture beyond your expectations with bellydancer Jenna's solo performances and group belly dance classes; based in Los Angeles, Jenna is available for Middle Eastern dance workshops and private lessons as well. ) so I emailed her that disc was taken out...

She even signed it! :D She wrote on it that it is a gift so I didnt have to pay custom charges AGAIN(I paid on stolen one already!:mad:) Geez I am soo happy!

I really needed such a thorough instructional DVD! I am currently working on "Heartbeat of belly dance" and use "Basics and Beyond" as extended warmup- posture-warmup-isolations:shoulders, ribs, hips- and on into circles undulations- figure 8s for "polishing the technique"!! It is really so well made- very clear explanations and shots, it already helped me to correct some mistakes, especially in posture!

I also like the "practice combos" section which is made of several drills: upperbody, lower body, smooth moves, arms and hands and travelling steps!(which can be playes voive/music or music only).

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I am definitly buying her next DVD which is planned for the end of year!

Isnt it awefully sweet of her?????:D

charity

Rania's DVDs are the worst in my collection, more fitness than anything and the choreography one also waste of money. But most of all I cant look at her stiff arms!:confused:

Thank for posting your list Orlea!

thats funny that you say that about rania. though i do not like her dvds per se, there is a quality about her dance that i do like...i just cannot say exactly what it is.

thats cool that jenna sent you a signed dvd.

edavis2

Suhaila and Ariellah DVD

Hello Everyone!

I'm considering buying Ariellah's DVD: Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah, but I was curious if anyone out there has it and has any comments about it. I thought I would get this since I have scoliosis and have been doing yoga to strengthen my back and overall strength. What better way to learning belly dancing than using yoga techniques, huh? I was told by my doctor I can do any exercise so long as it doesn't over strain my spine and muscles. As well, I'm interested in any advice on Suhaila's DVDs. I heard she trains alot of tribal dancers (just the type of dance I'm interested in). Any advice would be capital. Thanx.

Edavis2

Status
Not open for further replies.