Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etcd.

Dear Janaki and Moon,
    In fact, the dance is sexual, and even the most proclaimed native dancers that I know of are sometimes actually sleazy. I am a dancer who is pretty sexual, but I do not feel that I am sleazy in any way. They are not the same thing.
    Sensual is a word used to pretty up something that really does not need to be prettied up. When we start being honest about what we are doing, we will not confuse our public as much and we will not hurt the dance any either.
    I am sorry but this conversation reminds me of people who have lunch at Hooters restaurant..... and get pissed off at the pretty girls with their lovely breasts in their cute little t-shirts, The girls are sure sexy alot of the time, in fun and healthy ways, but many people would prefer to think of them as sleazy.
    In that case my advice is if you are offended by the nature of the restaurant, why eat there?? I think the same thing is true about the dance. If you are offended by sexuality, then this is not the dance for you, because whether we dress it up or not, the nature of the dance is sexy on purpose. You can dress modestly or like a cheap tart and the dance's nature remains the same.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi A'isha,

I toally agree that this is a very sexy dance. I am confortable with this dance form no matter what anyone calls it. But sometimes it is easier if it is not called a sexy dance. I'll tell you why.

1. One of the places I taught here, they didn't like to call this sexy dance.The organiser of the class said, it will put off the ladies, or their husbands may object. So they called it a feminine dance, sensual dance, arabian dance, exotic dance etc., In some cultures, especially in asia, anything in the nature of sex, sexy, sexual is not openly discussed and accepted. In these cultures people feel confortable with the thought that this is sensuous dance than a sexy dance, even if they are aware it is sexy!!! Personally I prefer people call bellydance, bellydance but nothing else.

2. I have two boys and they see me dance all the time. I am definitely not comfortable to tell them this is a sexy dance. Once, my older boy overheard my conversation with my gilrfriends about bellydance and how sexy it is and stuff. He came to me and said " Mummy is that mean bellydancing is only for adults??"

Calling it a sensual dance to suite certain situation won't take out the sexiness of this dance. Sometimes, it is not always about how comfortable I am with the dance, it is also about how comfortable the other person is.. the person who wants to learn from me and wants to watch me dance.

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    Originally Posted by Donya

the only taboo i have heard is no palms or soles of feet.
    I have heard this a lot but am unsure about it...

The soles of the feet I tend to agree with, since I have heard it from enough credible sources and had it ocasionally confirmed by people from root cultures.

The palms of the hands... I am not so sure. I have heard just as many people say there is no taboo in showing the palms of the hands in the MidEast. I have been told by a Lebanese girl that the only problem she can think of is if a dancer forces the palms of the hands toward the audience as that could look like a hostile gesture. When I watch videos of Egyptian, Lebanese or Turkish dancers none seem to deliberately hide the palms of their hands. A Moroccan teacher I had, taught the class a choreography that includes gestures that show the palm of the hands. I have asked about this on forums previously and a few say they have heard this before and a few others say they dont believe this to be true.

If this is true, does anyone know more about this and which countries it is true? I have yet to hear anyone say that seeing the palm is taboo in any specific Middle Eastern/North African country--just that is is in some Middle Eastern/North African countres. I would love to know where this idea comes from and what truth is behind it (which there must by some nugget of truth or it would not be so widespread).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janaki View Post
    Hi A'isha,

I toally agree that this is a very sexy dance. I am confortable with this dance form no matter what anyone calls it. But sometimes it is easier if it is not called a sexy dance. I'll tell you why....

Calling it a sensual dance to suite certain situation won't take out the sexiness of this dance. Sometimes, it is not always about how comfortable I am with the dance, it is also about how comfortable the other person is.. the person who wants to learn from me and wants to watch me dance.

Cheers
    Janaki
    I agree this dance is usually sexy when done sincerely. I agree it is also sensual--as sexy can certainly be part of sensual. I am not always sure that people who debate sensual vs sexual are actually disagreeing about anything other than the word they believe describes it. I am not sure if there is agreement on what those two terms really mean. Some dancers who prefer the word sensual are still amazing dancers and may be described by others as "sexy".

I also know there are a few dancers who try to take the sexy and sensual out of the dance. I had a teacher like this once and it took me a while to recognize this. But I always felt something was missing--at first I thought it was my switch from studying American to "Egyptian" style. She didn't use the term "sensual" or "sexual"--she spoke of it being a dance by and for women. She use to correct me on so many moves I learned from other dancers saying they are American not Egyptian and inappropriate. Moves such as the pelvic circle/Omi/African circle, huge bent over hip circle, upper body shimmy where more than just the shoulders move, etc.

For me the big "Aha" was when I saw a choreography that I learned from this teacher performed by the original choreographer (the dancer who taught it to her). There were a couple of moves in this choreography that I always found a little forced and awkward. Strangely enough every move I found awkward, was a move that my teacher used to replace a juicy move from the original choreography. Also the attitude of the original dancer was very playful--while I never felt "playful" doing this dance as taught by my exteacher. This really made me aware of the problem with trying to clean this dance up. Everything that I thought was powerful and fun about the orginal dance was lost in our version of it. Our version was still cute, but nothing more than cute. The original version fit the music better and it was juicy and hot!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear Samsied,
    I think there IS a problem that develops when people try to subvert the natural feeling and tendencies of the dance. When the dance is watered down, what you get is REALLY mediocre performance instead of the truth of the dance,and like you say, it becomes awkward and weird. Thank you for a very expressive anecdote!!

Dear Janaki,
    It is not necessary to call the dance, sexy, sensual, sexual or the like. The dance speaks for itself.

This is what I say in my written advertising:
    "Egyptian belly dance is an authentic ethnic dance in movement and spirit. The dance and dancer are the physical manifestation of and visual compliment to the exotic music they accompany. Like ballet, the dance has precise movements based on root concepts. The dancer enjoys a full range of personal expression within the dance. A'isha Azar offers instruction emphasizing integrity of movement and enhancing cultural understanding, celebrating this most beautiful of Middle Eastern dances."

Anyone who studies or even sees the dance can make their own judgement on how sexy it is!!

Regards to you both,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the dance speaks for itself! That's why I am amazed to watch on youtube some famous Egyptian dancers wearing sleaziest costumes I have ever seen...

If the dance is sexy why wear a dress that barely keeps the breast in? Will the dance be "more" sexy if the underwear shows through thin skirt? I am not suprised after watching such video's that belly dance is frowned upon in arabic culture(having read that even the ppl who dont mind it would not want their wife/sister/daughter be a belly dancer).

That might sound harsh, but do they really need to look like cheap sluts to proclaim that the dance is feminine and sexy?

I am quite confused, maybe I watched wrong clips, but Dina totally put me off...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree with you reen.blom!!!

Why we need flashing thongs and ooooooozing boobs, when the dance itself is sexy. If there is anything that need cleaning up in this dance, it is not it sexyness, it is the costuming!!! Trashy or a sleazy is not my cup of tea!!!!

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post

As for teachers who say "its a shoulder shimmy not a breast shimmy"...aarrghh!!!!! Watch any female dancers from any country where this dance is indigenous. They are shaking their breasts!! When a teacher says something like this that is in such total and utter contrast with what you can see with your own two eyes, be very very suspect, and wonder what else you are learning that might not be true!!!

And heaven forbid, if you are one of the teachers saying this, maybe you need to stop and rethink what and why you are teaching.

Sedonia

I am one of those teachers who discriminates between a shoulder shimmy and shaking one's breasts, but I don't think I will throw myself on my sword just yet. All teachers accumulate their own set of prejudices, likes, and dislikes, whether they are teaching dance or cake decoration. My set of prejudices includes a preference for a shoulder shimmy which results in a more subtle movement of the breasts than sticking one's chest out and letting 'er rip. I also don't care for the boobs on a string gimmick so dear to the hearts of many dancers, nor do I care to see someone stick their butt out as far as it will go toward the audience while doing an enormous hip circle. (Perhaps it is my background as a biologist, but that last movement makes me think of simian presenting positions.)

My preference for subtle movement is more a matter of my own modesty and personal expression of the dance than it is cluelessness about what is being done.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well,

I get taught it's shoulders too, but one of my main problems with dance is that I don't always understand where the movements come from cause my teach dunt explain it. I just do them and work it out for mysen. I know when I shimmy I shake my boobs and don't move my shoulders, if owt my shoulders follow my boobs. I quite like my chest shimmy's though I think it's more natural and looks good when the shoulders don't move, unless you want to accent summate. It's obvious what you are trying to shake when you do a shoulder shimmy so why not shake em?

One thing I heard was don't dip the middle finger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    It's obvious what you are trying to shake when you do a shoulder shimmy so why not shake em?
    Finesse and style.

Still, as you say, nowt does any harm if tha doesn't overdo it.

Your teachers don't explain where the movement comes from, but leave you to work it out yourself? That's not teaching- that's demonstration.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 06-10-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast